JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Toss up on the worst gun First was a 12 ga Iver Johnson single shot with a full choke Lyman screwed on. Hurt like hell at age 12, but that suck brought home the game. Also grandfather's Remington double barrel 12, shortened stock to fit him, but one big ouch. Still have the Remington, but is a wall hanger !!!!

The WORST gun(s) I ever owned was the Italian Carcano 6.5. The first I bought from a friend in High School, who had talked his Dad into ordering it for him. Pre 1968 you could mail order them for about $20. He was afraid that the "authorities" were going to come and take him to jail after the Kennedy assignation that he sold it to me for $10. You could sometimes hit a pie plate at 100 yards from a good rest, but not always! I sold it.

The next one, I ordered myself, still pre 1968. But it was not much better in the accuracy department so it went to a gun show. I don't remember what I came home with, but it had to be better than the Carcano. I was still interested in the fact that Oswald had managed to kill the President with one, so I acquired another one......Yeah, stupid me! It went down the road, too. I guess I just have bad luck when choosing accurate Carcanos. OR Lee Harvey Oswald got the best one they ever made.

I still don't believe that Oswald could possibly have killed President Kennedy with a Carcano. If they let ME shoot "the" gun that Oswald used, using the same ammo that he used to see how accurate IT is......then I might buy it! Until then, the "grassy noll" story makes more sense.

The blood sprayed from front to the rear and part of his skull and brain matter landed on the trunk, as Jackie tried in vain to recover it. A larger entrance than exit wound is just not something I have ever seen in any other case. Nor have I ever seen blood splatter backward of a bullets path.

A BB rifle Two or three shots and I would rather have a bow and arrow for accuracy.

I think a water balloon or two liter would show the same effect... anything pressurized really...
Just don't shot tracers into flour, it will explode!

The WORST gun(s) I ever owned was the Italian Carcano 6.5. The first I bought from a friend in High School, who had talked his Dad into ordering it for him. Pre 1968 you could mail order them for about $20. He was afraid that the "authorities" were going to come and take him to jail after the Kennedy assignation that he sold it to me for $10. You could sometimes hit a pie plate at 100 yards from a good rest, but not always! I sold it.

The next one, I ordered myself, still pre 1968. But it was not much better in the accuracy department so it went to a gun show. I don't remember what I came home with, but it had to be better than the Carcano. I was still interested in the fact that Oswald had managed to kill the President with one, so I acquired another one......Yeah, stupid me! It went down the road, too. I guess I just have bad luck when choosing accurate Carcanos. OR Lee Harvey Oswald got the best one they ever made.

I still don't believe that Oswald could possibly have killed President Kennedy with a Carcano. If they let ME shoot "the" gun that Oswald used, using the same ammo that he used to see how accurate IT is......then I might buy it! Until then, the "grassy noll" story makes more sense.
I actually have the same issue of American Rifleman Oswald ordered it from(Feb.'63)... Its a little spooky to look at... kinda like Andy was saying about the Sauer 38h at the pawn shop. IMG_2308.JPG

Last Edited:
AMT Automag II. Got it from an acquaintance knowing it had problems. It was basically a single-shot with a grip full of spare ammo. Spent some time working on the magazine feed lips. Got it to the point that it would occasionally go through a whole magazine without a problem. Occasionally, not frequently!! Traded it for a Firestar .40 S&W. Told the trader about getting it to work occasionally and his response was, "That's pretty good for one of these.":eek::eek: He sold it for a tidy profit so we were both happy!!

Also a Carcano. Only bolt action rifle I have seen that won't feed. Bore looks fine but accuracy is dismal. I always thought that gain-twist rifling should be a good idea, but the Carcano is not going to prove that point. Basically a miserable POS!!

Funny, I just watched a video about Carcano rifles getting a bad rap for accuracy because the rifling is not actually standard groove diameters. I thought that was interesting. Don't judge me.
He talks about the diameter from about :30-1:30 in the 16 min vid.

Yes... and im thinking Oswald probably had the right ammo making it more accurate. If you look in the Klein ad that he bought it from, the very bottom has an option to buy 108 rnds of Italian military Ammo and a 6 rd clip for an additional $7.50. It would make sense that he added that to his order... unless he already had 6.5 ammo laying around.

I had one of the early Springfield XD-45, and I hated that thing. The holdover was so bad you had to cover up the entire target at 7 yards. It was uncontrollable in my hands.

Some cheap .25acp semi-auto (yeah yeah, I know I know...) I had for a few months when I was 19 years old. Don't even remember the make. Couldn't hit a barn door with it, would jam every fourth or fifth round, and had all the stopping power of a snowball indifferently thrown by a bookish 12 year old girl.

All other evidence aside, and there is a lot of it, I think the INaccuracy of the Carcano totally rules it out as THE weapon. All I ever had to shoot was the surplus military ammo and I don't recall anyone, in that day, offering a commercial product. Perhaps Norma made it then, but I never saw any until years later. My interest in Carcanos was long gone by then. I always wondered if a reloader could have fixed the problem, but I was a few years from becoming one. And my interest was only in ACCRURATE weapons by then.

Forgotten Weapons is a GREAT site and I am a subscriber, but I don't recall watching that video, thanks for posting the link.

Like most people around my age, I remember exactly where I was when I heard of the assassination. I was a sophomore in High School and the official announcement came from the principal at the beginning of the 6th hour classes. Everyone had heard of the shooting before that and that was the talk of the school. The dumbest thing I heard at the time........one teacher told her class, "he could have been shot from miles away".

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top