JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We'll let the back decide
Currently it's the 43X. Lol.

IMG_2843.jpeg

So I talk too much but then I can so here goes :D

Watching one of my favorite westerns, Silverado, and one of the characters was found in his long John's in the desert because his fellow travelers admired his rig. Stole everything those dastardly men.

So I get to thinking guns and rigs of the past and today and think "what just goes together like bread and butter?"

Heck no I ain't talking about your three gun battery, I am talking about your rig.

I have some cowboy guns and some modern firearms and kinda collect what's cool to go with each. A rig.

What goes with the gun you have?

I have a Colt New Frontier in 44 special and Ithink the best knife to put on the belt is a

If you knew the history of the New Frontier then it would make sense.
As a retired Marine, all I can say is Good God that thing is hideous.Please leave the KA-BAR alone, its a American classic.

As a retired Marine, all I can say is Good God that thing is hideous.Please leave the KA-BAR alone, its a American classic.
I have my FILs US Navy knife he carried for about 4 years. I paired it up with an old Colt 1911 on an old military belt. I think of him every time I look at that knife and the war stories he told me. Battle worthy.

The New Frontier and space knife will never see battle but remind me of the 60s when America was starting a new Frontier. Yep I am old and living in the past but I am interested in what folks collect.

I gotta say Andy has some great knives, from a time Americans were different.

That blue handle Kbar is the start of space force, a historic moment today and tied up with the Colt New Frontier 44 of yesterday when we just started going to space. Ugly knife for sure. :confused:

I get the nostalgia. I have a .44mag virginia dragoon in a buscadero holster and bone handled boowie in a custom made indian scout deer hide sheath. It's been with me on more than a few big game hunts.

A pair of 1880 moccasin boots to go with, but they haven't been worn in awhile.

Never realized I had a "rig" until this thread but these two were made for each other. My old Delta Elite 10mm in a custom Bitterroot Gunleather on a custom kydex drop panel for backpack hunting. Lots of miles under this rig.

1687846746256.png

Never realized I had a "rig" until this thread but these two were made for each other. My old Delta Elite 10mm in a custom Bitterroot Gunleather on a custom kydex drop panel for backpack hunting. Lots of miles under this rig.

View attachment 1443980
That's not a "rig". That's a leather holster hung on a belt. :D👍

Traditionally... your "rig" would be a belt/holster/accoutrements as a single unit. Typically, "strap on/strap off". (Not to be confused with "loadout".)🤣

That's not a "rig". That's a leather holster hung on a belt. :D👍

Traditionally... your "rig" would be a belt/holster/accoutrements as a single unit. Typically, "strap on/strap off". (Not to be confused with "loadout".)🤣
I think I just got "shot down" here... (pun intended)....

technically it does strap on/off, its designed for backpack hunting only, so I call it a rig now.

My favorite rig while in the army was...
My M21 rifle...sadly not pictured...Uncle Sam wouldn't let me take it home... :D
And my Blackjack Model 5 knife...
This knife served me well while in the army and in my four combat deployments.
It still gets used today.
Andy
That is a neat knife. I could gut and skin pretty good with that thing if it takes and keeps an edge

And Hohenfels, memmmmmories. Lots of mean Eurasian wild boar out there. One morning, a sounder (that's a group of pigs) was sleeping on the front slope and driver's hatch on one of the M1A1s. It was always comedy gold when they would chase troops around.

On that note, my favorite rig was my MA1 and my M9. Like a mamma bear and her cub. Since I don't have those anymore, I would settle for my hunting knife and one of my rifles. Like death and taxes.

That is a neat knife. I could gut and skin pretty good with that thing if it takes and keeps an edge

And Hohenfels, memmmmmories. Lots of mean Eurasian wild boar out there. One morning, a sounder (that's a group of pigs) was sleeping on the front slope and driver's hatch on one of the M1A1s. It was always comedy gold when they would chase troops around.

On that note, my favorite rig was my MA1 and my M9. Like a mamma bear and her cub. Since I don't have those anymore, I would settle for my hunting knife and one of my rifles. Like death and taxes.
Hofenfels...yep lots of memories.of there too....:D
At time...I'll bring that map along with others...the compass , protractor and "Ranger Beads" / pace counter to school...
And do a math / history lesson...the kids get a kick outta trying to read the German names and such...:D
Andy

This is a rig to my mind, Patton carried two handguns, ammo and a compass. I find it interesting as an old soldier he didn't have a knife on his rig.

What exactly is the difference between these...

Rigs

Survival gear

kit

Webbing

Field gear

Tactical gear

? 🤔🤔🤔

Way I see it and way I can understand this thread...

Rigs are usually the barest minimal systems of carrying ammo, sometimes also the firearm; chest rigs and belt Rigs are examples

Survival gear, pretty much things you carry to survive somewhere

Kit, pretty much everything related to whatever

Webbing, UK/European term for load bearing equipment

Field gear, US military term for everything a soldier/Marine takes into the field

Tactical gear, marketing term for specific Field gear that became popular with SWAT and SAS, and has grown to include unnecessary items :s0140: like "Tactical sporks"

Rigs

Survival gear

kit

Webbing

Field gear

Tactical gear

? 🤔🤔🤔

Rigs are usually the barest minimal systems of carrying ammo, sometimes also the firearm; chest rigs and belt Rigs are examples

Field gear, US military term for everything a soldier/Marine takes into the field

Tactical gear, marketing term for specific Field gear that became popular with SWAT and SAS, and has grown to include unnecessary items :s0140: like "Tactical sporks"
What is the difference...?
Spelling....:D

I think there is a lot of crossover...as well as regional variants of the terms / definitions.
Andy

What is the difference...?
Spelling....:D

I think there is a lot of crossover...as well as regional variants of the terms / definitions.
Andy
Agreed. You could pretty much walk up to a person and in context admire their... whatever loadout... with, "Hey! Nice [insert descriptor word preference]" and they would know exactly what you meant.

Rigs

Survival gear

kit

Webbing

Field gear

Tactical gear

? 🤔🤔🤔

Old farts like me tend to put in old words what we think. :D If we were talking hunting rigs most guys would talk about trucks or jeeps or something. What is your hunting rig out of the truck?

My hunting rig depends on what I am hunting. For western deer my belt has ammo and a big brush knife and water.

For eastern Oregon deer it's a good hunting knife, ammo, a handgun and water. My coat on either side hunting has my Survival stuff.

My rig for shooting competition varies with the game too. I don't know, maybe rig isn't precise enough for the question.:confused:

When the gun club put on a sub machine gun competition most of the competitors built different rigs to run the course.

In IPSC competition the rigs changed constantly by what the winners used.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top