JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know that I'd say they all were a total POS as the ones I owned worked well when used as directed. I have friends who have, or have had the Automag III and those work like a champ. In fact, that's probably their stellar gun. The Backups definitely had shortcomings and I've been told the 1911's were never good... The Automag itself wasn't really reliable. Too bad because many of their ideas had merit.

I guess it was gambling when ya bought one and I don't like doing that anymore.

One of the "problems" when AMT comes up is of course not every gun they made was junk. If they had been even back then, pre internet, they would not have lasted. What did happen is far too many of the guns they let out had Quality control issues. Of course anything can be fixed. Many new gun owners either don't know how or don't want to "fix" a new gun. Turn out enough bad ones and before long people will not buy what you make.

ALEXX1401 - The AMT you pictured on page 14 is not a .45. Likely a .380 and a smaller pistol than the .45 Back-up.
Thankyou, Wolf256 for posting a pic of the pistol I was commenting on.
"Too small for hands" was a common complaint. The round was so powerful you couldn't help but get bit by something on that pistol.
However, it wasn't exactly designed for hours of shooting at the gun range...;):D
The .45 Back-up had a lot of issues associated with it, but considering it was a first of its kind, it was destined not to be absolutely perfect.
Better guns have obviously come down the line since, but the little AMT should go down in history as a successful proof of concept, since it did work.
The problem with the .45 AMT Backup DAO was FAR from all of them worked. Many or course did, too many did not. That is what kills a company.

Back when this thread started that's what I said that it was .380 and why I hated them. Problem was AMT made a few pistol with the same name, Backup. Soon others thought my comment about how the trigger was so hard to pull I at first thought the safety was on was about the long D/A only pull. To clear things up I posted that pic to show what I was talking about. Many forget that a lot of the members here were not even born when the Backup I was talking about was being made.

(Yeah, like blessed with the Kimber Montana that was kind of a single shot?)

I got wrapped up in the handgun bashing part and only touched on this. Amazes me cuz it was the top of my bubblegum list for a while. I guess I ragged about it long enough a while back I got it off of my chest.

Either this is a new story or I'm gonna bore the hell out of you.

Wife bought me a Kimber Montana. An 8400 30-06 to be specific. I really wanted an 84L Montana, but figgered it wasn't a good idea to whine about it. It would not feed the second round, I think it was top left. A follow up shot with an empty chamber on a deer or elk hunt isn't gravely serious, but it could sure suck!
Well, sometimes if you held your tongue just right as you massaged the rounds into the mag, making sure they all snuggle together just right, then you kind of worked them around to make sure everyone is in their "happy place", you'd get a full mag out of it. If you pulled one or two rounds out, it was fine. It had a couple of cosmetic issues too, and I sent it back to Kimber (at my expense) with detailed pictures and notes about what it did. They made it pretty and sent it back.

Great.

Ask me again why I love my Ruger? :D

Back when this thread started that's what I said that it was .380 and why I hated them. Problem was AMT made a few pistol with the same name, Backup. Soon others thought my comment about how the trigger was so hard to pull I at first thought the safety was on was about the long D/A only pull.

Quite possibly my fault. I know the difference between the two guns, but was making a "family" comment about crappy trigger pulls. I probably should have stated something about that.

*Sig Mosquito - super picky with ammo. This is probably the gun ive had the worst experiences with.

If you mix up a little epoxy resin or fiberglass resin and bed the barrel in the barrel lug in the receiver and tighten the bejesus out of the barrel retention screw to keep the barrel from flopping round they run tip top and will run just about anything.

If you mix up a little epoxy resin or fiberglass resin and bed the barrel in the barrel lug in the receiver and tighten the bejesus out of the barrel retention screw to keep the barrel from flopping round they run tip top and will run just about anything.
Thanks but I did it own it for very long after that experience. Out of those 3 guns I listed, I still have the taurus tracker. Thinking I otta send it in for repair.

Even the most horrible gun made is still a gun and can be hung on the wall or traded in to one of those ridiculous gun buy back sessions! Maybe a more aprapoe subject might be..."The worst gun-grabbing politician ever" or something along that nature!:rolleyes:

Even the most horrible gun made is still a gun and can be hung on the wall or traded in to one of those ridiculous gun buy back sessions! Maybe a more aprapoe subject might be..."The worst gun-grabbing politician ever" or something along that nature!:rolleyes:

I'm not sure any more how the one who started this thread started it. I know when I saw it I looked at it from the which guns do I not miss. I as many here have said a lot of times have sold guns over the years I regret. Some I really, really regret letting go of. So when I saw this I was looking at it from the what is the gun I sold and would be the last one I would want back if I could have a do over. The worst politician? Now damn that could be a LONG thread :)

I'll NEVER miss the one AR-15 that I owned to help out a very good friend. He needed money and I bought the rifle. When I sold it he got the difference between what I had paid him and what the thing sold for.

The problem with the .45 AMT Backup DAO was FAR from all of them worked. Many or course did, too many did not. That is what kills a company.

Back when this thread started that's what I said that it was .380 and why I hated them. Problem was AMT made a few pistol with the same name, Backup. Soon others thought my comment about how the trigger was so hard to pull I at first thought the safety was on was about the long D/A only pull. To clear things up I posted that pic to show what I was talking about. Many forget that a lot of the members here were not even born when the Backup I was talking about was being made.
Alexx, apologies from me as well.
I was in the middle of chatting with some people (I think, you, included) about the .45 version of the Back-up, so when you posted that picture, I thought that's what you were getting at. The .45 version.
However, my explanation about the why of that trigger pull still stands, whether 45 or .380.
As for those companies (AMT, Raven, Phoenix, etc.) shutting down....does anyone remember a political PITA named Dianne Feinstein?
It was her lobbying that helped push that California law through that put the ka-bosh on those companies as well as limiting mag capacities at 10 rounds (except for military and law enforcement).
Some people were actually sad to see AMT go because the Back-up series was a good idea and their QC was improving.
I seem to remember some rumors about them reopening somewhere else (Nevada maybe?), but eventually, they were bought by High Standard and parts for those guns are still made today (supposedly so are the guns, but a quick web check shows those guns are currently "out-of-stock"...:s0092:).

As for those companies (AMT, Raven, Phoenix, etc.) shutting down....does anyone remember a political PITA named Dianne Feinstein?

Feinstein didnt have much to do with them shutting down. Building garbage had everything to do with them shutting down. The last of the East LA gun companies, Enterprise Arms, shut down about two years ago but the rest died over a 15 year period mostly because of product liability lawsuits . Jiminez is about the only remaining manufacturer of crap guns from the "ring of fire" group and they moved to Phoenix I think about 10 years ago.

I am sorry for those that had problems with AMT. I never owned a Backup, but wanted one when they came out. My Hardballer, with a little polishing and grease on the slides instead of oil, just like the instruction said, and it has been a wonderful gun. It is a copy of the Colt Gold Cup, which also had its own feeding and extraction problems but nobody complains about having to tune up a Colt. The original cost was low, so you would expect a little massaging to get it running smoothly. The Gold Cup was expensive and many went directly to the gunsmiths for tuning , throating and polishing - why not bash them a little?

JunkCollector,

About 20 years ago a friend was going to work as a truck driver, so he picked up one of those Raven .25's for protection.
We found the same as you. "Minute-of-barn-door" accuracy.
Stovepiped like a sob, too.
However, the more we shot it, the better it got.
Stovepiping went away and accuracy improved. He had to put something like 3 or 4 boxes of ammo through it, but by the time he went to work, he could put a whole clip in the 10 ring of a 25 yard target at 25 feet.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top