JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't get it. Why on earth would any of you ever buy a gun you didn't like? :rolleyes:

Maybe if you had to jump through anything like the number of flaming hoops that WE do over here before we can put our $$$ on the counter, you'd be lot more picky.

tac

tac,
Speaking only for myself. , its not always a case of not liking the gun... at first.
Sometimes falling victim to "Gun Lust" ... I have seen and handled a gun at a shop or show...And liked how it fit , and handled there in the shop or show.
But after putting it thru its paces at the range or in the hunting field ... I find out that maybe it doesn't fit , handle or shoot that well for me ...

Before the Background check for every gun sale ... I "tried" many a shotgun or .22 rifle this way.
See a gun that catches my eye at a show... buy / trade for it .... if it didn't work out , sell or trade it at the next show.... No big deal.
Now with the added paperwork , fees and hassle of a BGC .... I don't do as this much ... bordering on at all.
Andy

Andy, you really have no idea.................................unless you've been reading my older stuff, that is.

To walk into a gun-store, flap a couple of pieces of plastic, get an instant check-out, and walk out with the gun.

Even after more than 60 years watching this happen, it's still freakin' amazin'.

tac

tac,
You are right ... "I have no idea".., not sure of what you mean in post #183.
I was trying to answer your question of why buy a gun you don't like...
My answer being that for me at least sometimes the gun feels and fits better in the shop or show then when out on the range or when hunting.
I "liked" it the shop .. but not when really using it.

When we buy a long gun here in Washington ... we get an "instant check" too... so I'm not sure what you are getting at .....Sorry.
Andy
Edit to add:
my biggest complaint against the BGC for private sales from a buyers / traders standpoint is:
the hassle in finding a FFL dealer willing to do the check and the added fees from the dealer , which can make or break the deal , especially if the gun in question is a low end ( price wise ) shotgun or .22 rifle.

Last Edited:
Sorry, I'm not being picky, it's just that everything is just so easy for you to go buy any kind of a gun, without hassle, and then decide that you don't like it, so you go get another one - just like that...

Here, it's sooooooooooooo different. You have to go all the way through the licensing and acquisition process again, as though it's a first-time new gun. For the authorities, that's exactly what it is.

The so-called one-for-one - that's one off your FAC and another similar calibre gun put on - can take a week, or maybe it can take 42 weeks [Essex police], to get something that hopefully you'll like better, having first offloaded the one you didn't like. If you want to change the actual calibre, then that costs, of course...

Just sooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous/envious, me.

tac

Ruger American. With its faux ambi slide release that can only be operated on one side and ability to fire out of battery. Worst piece of garbage you can purchase new in a gun store right now in my opinion.

I just don't get it. Why on earth would any of you ever buy a gun you didn't like? :rolleyes:

Maybe if you had to jump through anything like the number of flaming hoops that WE do over here before we can put our $$$ on the counter, you'd be lot more picky.

tac

I have bought a few like this. Couple times it was a new gun. One time a NIB 70 Series Colt, place was getting out of the hand gun business so price was good. It was one that Colt let out the door without any QC. I finally got it working but it really disappointed me. Hard for a 1911 to do that to me :)
Other times it was used guns that came at a price too tempting to pass up. Couple times I wished later I had passed :)

Bitter, windy cold out near Memphis, river was solid ice. Friend's tiny no-name .25 or .32 semi auto bit the bare pink web of my freezing thumb. Once. Awful little thing.

Last Edited:
Sorry, I'm not being picky, it's just that everything is just so easy for you to go buy any kind of a gun, without hassle, and then decide that you don't like it, so you go get another one - just like that..

Another side of this is since guns tend to hold their value it is not too big a deal to try something for a while, take a small loss, and try something else.

The early open bolt versions were FAR worse. Without a stock they were impossible to use. That bolt falling forward would make you pull back and shoot way high. They were a joke to any who tried them. Only worth anything after BATF banned them. Price skyrocketed only because they had to stop making them

Yep the one I had was a pre 1988 with the threaded barrel One magazine was all it took to know it was going away at the next Gun show. I only owned it for like 3 weeks. I did make a nice profit on the trade stream that ended with me getting rid of it.

Yep the one I had was a pre 1988 with the threaded barrel One magazine was all it took to know it was going away at the next Gun show. I only owned it for like 3 weeks. I did make a nice profit on the trade stream that ended with me getting rid of it.

Back when I had a dealer for partner I ended up with several of them. Couple RPB and one by the guy who later started Kel-Tec. I bought them on the hunch the Feds were going to make them stop and the bet paid off. Sold them for many times what I paid. When they started making the ones that fired from a closed bolt they were still a little over the top for me. Far far easier to actually hit with though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top