JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So a little back on track?

I had been thinking that I had been having problems with high BP when I did physical work (maybe I was), but I have noticed, increasingly, that when I do work and have to sit down and rest and had other symptoms (sometimes including a bright spot in my problem eye vision - eye doc knows about this), I think I have been having low BP.

Tonight I split a few rounds and stacked some wood and measured my BP. Down when I worked a little (really light work), rest a few minutes and it comes back up - also felt light headed when it went down - rinse and repeat a few times to confirm. From what I have read, this is somewhat normal; the blood goes out to the muscles/etc. so pressure goes down.

My point is that it is good to understand what your body is doing so you can know the warning signs.

THinking about getting an oximeter

I get dizzy when my blood pressure is low, particularly when I stand up and try to walk like across the room. For me, it is a sure sign my BP is low.

I get dizzy when my blood pressure is low, particularly when I stand up and try to walk like across the room. For me, it is a sure sign my BP is low.

Yup - that is kind of common. Postural hypotension.

It is just that I can't do much of anything if it makes me dizzy. I think the meds I am taking now (3 different drugs) are making my BP too low when I do anything non-trivial so I have to really pay attention to not do much until I have the stress test and ECG and know exactly what is going on and talk to the cardiologist again.

We old people are disgusting. The primary topic of discussion changes from fun things like sex, guns, cars, boats and airplanes.............to ailments. It is inevitable I guess but never the less disgusting. It seems we are all destine for it.

I am all allergic to liberals and most democrats. When I have to deal with them I have an incredible urge to urinate.....

Oh yeah I tweaked my back the other day when my street motorcycle went unintentionally airborne rushing to work...didn't see the cattle guard....

Brutus Out

I hurt myself every time I get out of my recliner. Sometimes I will lay on the floor to do my stretches, put my back in place... Hurts like a bitty when I have to get back up.

We old people are disgusting. The primary topic of discussion changes from fun things like sex, guns, cars, boats and airplanes.............to ailments. It is inevitable I guess but never the less disgusting. It seems we are all destine for it.

Whenever people ask me how I am, one of my answers is "how much time do you have?" Seems like politics and ailments are the most common topics of discussion in my circle. And the ailment share of disgustion is increasing. :rolleyes: The other answer is "better than I deserve"... borrowed that little beauty.

A simple salt tablet always works fine. When I worked training in the ER......a saline IV was what was used. Not a fan of voodoo witchcraft.

:eek::eek::eek: I'll get my Zombie guns ready just in case!!! ;)

"Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods"

Macaulay

Some comments here remind me of Jim Gaffigan's shoe shopping story:

"I just need shoes that will get me from where I am sitting, to the next place I will be sitting"

Go on the Lo Carb High Fat diet, I've lost 30 lbs and at nigh SS drawing age my BP a couple months ago 126/67. In fact, it is down from the high 130s 9 months ago and I have had 3 physicals since....not because I am unwell, just licensing, new doctor and for new job.

And I could still lose another 20 or so pounds....

Brutus I'm

Go on the Lo Carb High Fat diet, I've lost 30 lbs and at nigh SS drawing age my BP a couple months ago 126/67. In fact, it is down from the high 130s 9 months ago and I have had 3 physicals since....not because I am unwell, just licensing, new doctor and for new job.

And I could still lose another 20 or so pounds....

Brutus I'm
I am cutting back on the frozen meals and eating more veggies and fruit. I am also making more of my own food from raw ingredients.

On a less related note: drug side effects; I will say that I have had the weirdest bad dreams. This was listed as a possible side effect but wow. Other than the diuretics I have not had other side effects - yet.

I have to get a bit more serious and active. SHTF and I am at my new job I have 150 mile walk/ hike back to the home hearth. That means likely a fortnight if i have to walk all that way. So I have to totally redo my GHB or just say eff it, and go with the ALICE pack that is more or less set up as an INCH pack. I have done some over night backpacking , hunting etc. but this would be THE LONG WALK and a mutherefrrer at that. I'm considering a mountain bike but that might just make me a target. Can we just make sure SHTF on my day off? And with me being in Jfferson state that means basically just a side arm, although I might think about some sort of take down. I just figure it it 60 miles just to I-5 so likely roads out and I'd be hoofing since even with a mountain bike there are numerous 4-10% grades. Let's not even get in to water supply if it is wrong time of year.
I am tired just thinking about it.

Brutus Out

I have to get a bit more serious and active. SHTF and I am at my new job I have 150 mile walk/ hike back to the home hearth. That means likely a fortnight if i have to walk all that way. So I have to totally redo my GHB or just say eff it, and go with the ALICE pack that is more or less set up as an INCH pack. I have done some over night backpacking , hunting etc. but this would be THE LONG WALK and a mutherefrrer at that. I'm considering a mountain bike but that might just make me a target. Can we just make sure SHTF on my day off? And with me being in Jfferson state that means basically just a side arm, although I might think about some sort of take down. I just figure it it 60 miles just to I-5 so likely roads out and I'd be hoofing since even with a mountain bike there are numerous 4-10% grades. Let's not even get in to water supply if it is wrong time of year.
I am tired just thinking about it.

Brutus Out

Consider an electric fat tire bike with suspension - preferably one that folds if you need to carry it in your vehicle. Expensive, but it would work. There are other alternatives, including dirt bikes, and a 'pusher' bicycle (a powered trailer that pushes the bicycle).

When I was young, I was able to ride 100 miles a day. I gave my mountain bike to my little brother because I could not ride it anymore with my bad back, but I can ride a motorcycle. Still thinking about getting an e-bike though.

Bicycles and motorcycles can go a lot of places a 4 wheeled vehicle can't, especially if we get hit with the 'big one' and roads become a mess.

---

Did a little firewood splitting today - took it easy and took breaks and kept an eye on my BP.

Yes, a small quieter dual sport would work much better, except for pesky things like fences and creeks and ol suspicious geezers that would shoot anybody caught trespassing. I saw some Thule elk today so I could catch, break and worse comes to wiener wurst ride one of them, then et'em when he's played out.....see I have thought this through a bit.:eek:

Brutus out

I know three people that died keeping healthy true story.

1. One man stopped smoking and using drugs ran every day after for 20 years dropped on the street of a heartattack his heart was fin just gave out.
  2. Man road his bike every weekend, ate well and went riding came home had a stroke went to the Er and died
  3. Never drank or use drugs, walked every day with his dogs did Yoga dropped while walking his dogs.
Worrying about getting old, is harder when you don't get there.
Way to many people think they must be 20 again, you have a used heart, used muscles and organs.
You don't have to be 20, 30, 40 or 50 to be a badass, some of the toughest SOB's ive known were in their 80's.
Live your life so you can get old, trying to beat getting old is like trying to out race the rotation of the earth.
Those three men were trying to beat mortality by doing what they thought the body wanted.
Just a word to the wise....

I'm 55, good shape good health not over or under weight. I eat best I can exercise moderately
I get tests and see the doctor regularly they say I have a heart that of someone in their 20's no high BP
I drink once in a blue moon, don't smoke and just try and remember jumping off the roof now days probably not a good idea LOL as they say moderation is the key to health and a long life.

DH

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads