JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Curious what folks are using for Comms if/when crap hits the fan?
YOU'RE ALIVE!! :s0023:

It's been a while!

Aloha, Mark

It' can also be a secure private network!
IMG_2031.jpeg

I went with the Baofeng BF-F8HP HAM portable, along with the Abbree 42.5 inch antenna and Abbree air acoustic headset + usb charger. Also got the BTECH usb programming/datalink cable for easy programming with Chirp. Had originally planned on just using it to monitor/receive only but decided to go ahead and get my Technician Class license. Was a pretty simple study (a week) and did the test online with a few folks from four corners that certified through the Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group.

This was the most cost effective route for me. You can of course go large with a full Ham set, or minimal with just FRS handhelds.

The sound of me racking a shell into the chamber of my Mossberg.

J/k. For comms within a mile, I have a 4-pack of decent portable radios. For longer distance I have a Baofeng, but haven't learned how to HAM it up yet. It's on the list of things to do.

I recently grabbed a GMRS radio and connected to a local repeater. GMRS seemed a good fit for the type of recreation I do, plus I'm able to talk to my friends about 8 miles away with use of the local repeater.

So far I like the flexibility it offers w/o the test that Ham requires...it's like the gateway drug into Ham.

Regardless of WHAT you are using it is important to ensure you have all those you plan to communicate with on the 'same sheet of music' and utilize the system regularly.

For instance if say just YOU are a technician class ham, and are using 2 meter, those who you plan to communicate with will as well need to be 'techs' so they can use the band as well.

If you are using unlicensed GMRS/FRS frequencies this is less of an issue but it is still important you and your friends/family use it regularly.

I can honestly say in the LaPine area this is done regularly between the local HAM users with family, friends and the organized networks.

Regardless of WHAT you are using it is important to ensure you have all those you plan to communicate with on the 'same sheet of music' and utilize the system regularly.

For instance if say just YOU are a technician class ham, and are using 2 meter, those who you plan to communicate with will as well need to be 'techs' so they can use the band as well.

If you are using unlicensed GMRS/FRS frequencies this is less of an issue but it is still important you and your friends/family use it regularly.

I can honestly say in the LaPine area this is done regularly between the local HAM users with family, friends and the organized networks.
Does it matter in a SHTF scenario?

unlicensed GMRS
GMRS requires a license, it's $35 for 10 years. FRS doesn't require a license but won't get you access to repeaters. The $35 GMRS is also good for your entire family. The only challenge to getting your license is dealing with the garbage government FCC website...it's pretty bad.

Yes, ESPECIALLY in a SHTF scenario so all users understand how to use their radio/equipment, the difference between repeater operation (linked and unlinked) and simplex, how to program their radios manually with the various settings.

HAM operation, even if just the 2 meter band is a bit complicated and requires regular use to ensure one stays up to date with things - especially repeater setting as they can change.

Last Edited:
No. That said a lot of folks have the radio's especially Baufeng, but don't know how to use them. This was certainly my experience.

I've owned one for 4 years, yet only recently have I learned how to use, program and access repeaters. I now own a Wouxan 935G Plus that's specifically built for GMRS.

No. That said a lot of folks have the radio's especially Baufeng, but don't know how to use them. This was certainly my experience.

I've owned one for 4 years, yet only recently have I learned how to use, program and access repeaters. I now own a Wouxan 935G Plus that's specifically built for GMRS.
I'm getting ready to install a Midland MXT575 in my Gladiator… "50 watts of power! oooowwww can you feel the static"?!

:s0022::s0091::s0151:

Yes, ESPECIALLY in a SHTF scenario so all users understand how to use their radio/equipment, the difference between repeater operation (linked and unlinked) and simplex, how to program their radios manually with the various settings.

HAM operation, even if just the 2 meter band is a bit complicated and requires regular use to ensure one stays up to date with things - especially repeater setting as they can change.
Is there any sort of class of course that teaches the basics of operation? I know I could just YouTube it but I'd rather not spend endless nights sifting through junk videos to get to the good stuff if there's a shortcut :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top