JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an excellent setup of CB radio and GMRS. So far I have tried a 57 mile continuous communication with a 25 watt GMRS mobile with Laird antenna to a J-Pole homebase without any repeater. I think this is good enough for a SHTF purpose for GMRS are already populated in so many places including the Northwest.
As much as I want to and I don't think I can afford to get Ham Radio because I am involve in so many projects and jobs and I know what kind of time is involve in this hobby.
But for someone that wants to go Ham radio, I am not quite sure what are the regulations in using both Ham and GMRS at the same time. All I know, there are radios that cover these frequencies in 1.

Last Edited:
I use GMRS and I have CB radio too. I just got this one the mail today. Posted if anyone is interested.

1713449056273.png

Matters not what is your personal choice. Family, neighbors, etc.; who is on the importance list? Really bad SHTF.........ask yourself who is most likely to arrive with food, clothing, water, shelter.........and those little pink pills for old people? What comms do those relief agencies & groups use? Who are they?

To have a chance to be first in the line..................

Foreverlost,

Last Edited:
When you open the Nextdoor site you'll hear nothing but thugs stealing from store, mugging people left and right. Stores are closing like Wal-Mart, maybe Target and $1 store nationwide. What could be left after this? Its just a fact that people doesn't realize these criminal are also steps ahead as far as owning an iphone, a google map, a redfin or trullia information of picture entry in your house, a weapon and a stolen get away car.
People has to start voting interest over party otherwise its a dead end for everyone.

Matters not what is your personal choice. Family, neighbors, etc.; who is on the importance list? Really bad SHTF.........ask yourself who is most likely to arrive with food, clothing, water, shelter.........and those little pink pills for old people? What comms do those relief agencies & groups use? Who are they?

To have a chance to be first in the line..................

Foreverlost,
Ham, CB, short wave, scanner, etc.

Anything and everything that will keep me informed.

There's nothing worse than being in the dark while schittt is happening.
I got bags packed up and I had a long discussion with my wife which one goes out first, what would be left. We have communications ready, water, food, 5 days of generator power, maybe 2 weeks of charged batteries for flashlights.
I need to get a gas mask and whatever is left.

When you open the Nextdoor site you'll hear nothing but thugs stealing from store, mugging people left and right. Stores are closing like Wal-Mart, maybe Target and $1 store nationwide. What could be left after this? Its just a fact that people doesn't realize these criminal are also steps ahead as far as owning an iphone, a google map, a redfin or trullia information of picture entry in your house, a weapon and a stolen get away car.
People has to start voting interest over party otherwise its a dead end for everyone.
This is the first time I have heard about the Nextdoor site. Looks interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextdoor

My neighborhood uses text messaging to keep everyone informed. Most messages are about get-togethers, and loose animals.

This is the first time I have heard about the Nextdoor site. Looks interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextdoor

My neighborhood uses text messaging to keep everyone informed. Most messages are about get-togethers, and loose animals.
Nextdoor was created mostly for home improvement and local helps. Ive used this to work on my home. Basically moving forward in life. I found my gardener on that site and he's been with me going 8 years now. Anyways the Nextdoor now is more focus on crimes happening all around us. Its just making me sick. These are their postings nowadays...

1713471390893.png

1713471723073.png

All I know is, I don't owe money besides a basic daily credit card which not even much.. For sure I don't owe an equivalent of $110,000 per taxpayers on the deficit that this country stands on. I been paying taxes since 1984 non stop and I even funded my school self supporting all the way to the end. I didn't and never will vote for anything to put my life upside down. I'd do anything in accordance and the right way to help this country get up on its knees. But that depends too if other people wants to help themselves..

Coms isn't coms if it is one sided. I may as well stick to a scanner and transistor radio. Too many family members don't want to consider getting even marginally prepared for a wet fart let alone SHTF. They definitely aren't going to learn HAM...
Not that I am looking to delve in to HAM either. But it would be nice to get a response better than rolling eyes when the discussion of basic communication comes up...

Last Edited:
Coms isn't coms if it is one sided. I may as well stick to a scanner and transistor radio. Too many family members don't want to consider getting even marginally prepared for a wet fart let alone SHTF. They definitely aren't going to learn HAM...
Not that I am looking to delve in to HAM either. But it would be nice to get a response better than rolling eyes when the discussion of basic communication comes up...
Rkangel,

Believe me, I hear you loud and clear. When Covid struck in 2020, the fridge was lacking baby back ribs. Oh my God, no disaster is complete without smoked baby backs and a few beers to wash ribs down the hatch. Drove to the favorite rib store.............early. Thought I'd get an easy parking spot, few are there before opening. Damned parking lot was full. A line of shoppers circled the entire building waiting for the doors to open. What gives???? The first 100 feet of shoppers were ready to trade punches to be first to get inside. When the doors opened employees were frightened at the masses of mad shoppers! The people in line were warning those of us not standing in line, "don't dare get in front of us". Crazy..............all for a roll of toilet paper.

What would happen if the shoppers were hungry or needed water, the basic necessities? Preppers are on to something..................

Foreverlost,

Rkangel,

Believe me, I hear you loud and clear. When Covid struck in 2020, the fridge was lacking baby back ribs. Oh my God, no disaster is complete without smoked baby backs and a few beers to wash ribs down the hatch. Drove to the favorite rib store.............early. Thought I'd get an easy parking spot, few are there before opening. Damned parking lot was full. A line of shoppers circled the entire building waiting for the doors to open. What gives???? The first 100 feet of shoppers were ready to trade punches to be first to get inside. When the doors opened employees were frightened at the masses of mad shoppers! The people in line were warning those of us not standing in line, "don't dare get in front of us". Crazy..............all for a roll of toilet paper.

What would happen if the shoppers were hungry or needed water, the basic necessities? Preppers are on to something..................

Foreverlost,
Absolutely this. We had a similar experience and talked about how bad it would have been had it been a serious emergency.

We do sensible prepping where we can bug in for awhile if needs be, whether it be earthquake or job loss.

Anyone tinkering with LoRa?

license free sub Ghz (865 MHz) radio. several amateur build at home project ideas out there. Bidirectional communication (like text, digital) over ~6 miles with hobby microcontrollers like Arduino's.

Obviously not as good as ham radio stuff you guys are mentioning but seems it could have potential for a frequency that is not going to be used much and for quick discrete messages using cheap parts. These lora modules are like $1-3

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top