JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hiking with 80lbs of gear? That sounds like pure hell to me. Take up a hobby like mountain biking would be my suggestion. You can get an older $3,000 msrp bike in nearly perfect condition for less than $300. Take up boating, fishing, hunting, new type of shooting, travel, photography, etc etc.
It's not, as long as your gear is well made and distributes the weight well.
@orygun, at your age, I still refuse to use a splitter.

I thought so too, back when I was a fatass. My first time out rucking we only did 5 miles, I only had maybe 20-30lb, and it was pure hell. I was literally down in bed for 5 days recovering. I had to stop 10-20 times on the way back, that last mile was pure hell.

Now I know I can do 11 miles non-stop at least on flatish ground. A 6 mile with hills no problem. And I find it enjoyable. 80lb? No thats just dumb, we arent marines trying to pack 110lbs. Be smart and use a guideline to calculate a percentage of your body weight to determine max weight. For me it is like 75lb and that is with full ruck, chest rig with magazines and ar15 (around 72lb).

If you cant sprint 10 feet, you arent defending anyone when shtf. Also, you can do this AND all the other hobbies. We have guys in their 50s, stronger than me (43) doing this stuff. There were dudes who I think were 60+ in a recent 3-day rifleman course and kicking bubblegum. You can do it.

(now approaching mid 40's)
Oh, you poor thing! :D

Seriously, you need to "get your mind right". I do know the feeling though. When I was nearing forty, I was way overweight and out of shape. Hunting consisted of a lot of driving around mixed in with a little bit of walking. I was starting to have health issues and nothing the doc gave me seemed to help. By happenstance, I met some people who convinced me to take up bowhunting (me = anti-bowhunting at the time) and it made a world of difference. Driving around a lot and walking a little bit just won't work for bowhunting, so I lost some weight and got into much better shape. I was hunting with younger people, mountain biking into wilderness hunts, and generally having the time of my life. The health issues I was having simply disappeared. I'll turn 63 in a few months, and don't do the mountain biking wilderness hunts anymore, but still hunt places I would never have dreamed of going when I was 39.

Prepping falls into the "hobby" category of life! Twenty to sixty years of age, yeah it can be worthwhile BUT things (physical ability and medical issues) start heading "south" post sixty. At eighty plus years old, 80 pounds on your back and hill walking is a fantasy, hell just walking without stumbling is a challenge! Looking back on the life you lived is a nice option, sheltering in place is a reality if you make it to eighty. Love them dog lovers, more to hunt and eat in the city than in the hills. Really, really think about what is happening in the middle east right now. How would you deal with that REALITY? Food, water, air sustains the body and they are basic.

Often times I think I'm inclined to do things the hard way just because I can. My nephew, who is about 30 complained about splitting wood and said, "I can't do this like I used to and it hurts. I will rent a splitter instead of swinging an axe." I'm twice his age and my reply was, "Sucks to be you!"
Been having some pretty noticeable issues with the rotator cuff in my left shoulder - enough that it impacts my ability to sleep - same with my right hip (been an issue for years - some days I can't walk without a cane).

This makes it hard to split wood - such that I am avoiding it some days. But a splitter is costly and lifting heavy rounds up off the ground onto a splitter is even harder.

So yeah - I will do it until I can't. I turn 70 this year. And yes, it sucks to get old. But it beats the alternatives.

Prepping falls into the "hobby" category of life! Twenty to sixty years of age, yeah it can be worthwhile BUT things (physical ability and medical issues) start heading "south" post sixty. At eighty plus years old, 80 pounds on your back and hill walking is a fantasy, hell just walking without stumbling is a challenge! Looking back on the life you lived is a nice option, sheltering in place is a reality if you make it to eighty. Love them dog lovers, more to hunt and eat in the city than in the hills. Really, really think about what is happening in the middle east right now. How would you deal with that REALITY? Food, water, air sustains the body and they are basic.
At 80, IF I last that long, my daughter will be sixty - that is ten years from now.

I prep for my daughter to survive. I know from experience (my parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles) that my expected lifetime due to genetics means I may not reach 80 - and probably not much beyond that if I do (I can't think of a single person in that I share genes with who made it out of their 80s, and some didn't make it out of their 70s). But I hope and expect my daughter to reach 60 (even with her health challenges) and beyond.

Having the preps to be self-reliant, even if SHTF doesn't result in a Zombie Apocalypse, will be even more important as time goes on.

Food, land, shelter, energy, healthcare - are all going to be more and more expensive (with relation to income/assets). So, being able to produce much of your own food, have land & shelter that is owned outright (no mortgage), have the ability to produce electricity (solar) and use it efficiently (geothermal heat pump), as independent of government and other people (i.e., self-reliant) will be an increasingly important and beneficial factor in having a "comfortable lifestyle" or even survival.

I would hate to think that my daughter would struggle to have food, shelter, etc., after I am gone. So I prepare to reduce that possibility.

At 80, IF I last that long, my daughter will be sixty - that is ten years from now.

I prep for my daughter to survive. I know from experience (my parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles) that my expected lifetime due to genetics means I may not reach 80 - and probably not much beyond that if I do (I can't think of a single person in that I share genes with who made it out of their 80s, and some didn't make it out of their 70s). But I hope and expect my daughter to reach 60 (even with her health challenges) and beyond.

Having the preps to be self-reliant, even if SHTF doesn't result in a Zombie Apocalypse, will be even more important as time goes on.

Food, land, shelter, energy, healthcare - are all going to be more and more expensive (with relation to income/assets). So, being able to produce much of your own food, have land & shelter that is owned outright (no mortgage), have the ability to produce electricity (solar) and use it efficiently (geothermal heat pump), as independent of government and other people (i.e., self-reliant) will be an increasingly important and beneficial factor in having a "comfortable lifestyle" or even survival.

I would hate to think that my daughter would struggle to have food, shelter, etc., after I am gone. So I prepare to reduce that possibility.
I like the way you think.
Been prepping for some kind of social disaster much of my adult life. With my luck it will happen when I'm too enfeebled to do squat but croak.

Buy a remote location in walking distance of a major city that has plentiful food around is one possible solution. Having skilled and hardworking neighbors and making them friends is the second. That's what my wife and I did as a 2nd home, near the coast. We occasionally forage and serve found food to guests. I love the strange looks and "What the H3LL is that" comments which often accompany the dinner. "It's a whelk, try it" or "It's a Gooseneck Barnacle, try it" is usually followed by a "Not bad" comment. I haven't had the courage to try a few of the more esoteric things which I know to be edible. Further, trying to plant various edible native foods simply for that time when I might need them has been a pleasure.

I have a Wapito patch 2 blocks away in the little used county park which is starting to expand itself as I remove the inedible but plentiful skunk cabbage. Camas is planted everywhere. Part of our "yard" the Camas grows so thick that the bulbs are stacked on top of each other. As it dies off so quick, it becomes invisible to even those who know what it looks like. Sunchokes are planted various spots. No one eats it, or can even get rid of the cow parsnip which grows on the country roadsides. Best of all, few would recognize any of this as food and even the deer and elk that wander through leave it be. Leaving it for me and mine when needed most.

Oh, you poor thing! :D

Seriously, you need to "get your mind right". I do know the feeling though. When I was nearing forty, I was way overweight and out of shape. Hunting consisted of a lot of driving around mixed in with a little bit of walking. I was starting to have health issues and nothing the doc gave me seemed to help. By happenstance, I met some people who convinced me to take up bowhunting (me = anti-bowhunting at the time) and it made a world of difference. Driving around a lot and walking a little bit just won't work for bowhunting, so I lost some weight and got into much better shape. I was hunting with younger people, mountain biking into wilderness hunts, and generally having the time of my life. The health issues I was having simply disappeared. I'll turn 63 in a few months, and don't do the mountain biking wilderness hunts anymore, but still hunt places I would never have dreamed of going when I was 39.
Mountain bikes and wilderness areas don't go together.

What about those little 2 wheel drive knobby tire bikes? Can't recall the name rondo or ronco or something?
Rokon? Very expensive for what they are; but yeah I think some of those came with trailer hitches.. was thinking more along the lines of the larger 2 wheeled dirt bikes with better weight support system and higher speeds.. the Rokons are dang slow.

Edit
Looks like only the Rokon, and the company do offer 2 different trailers for it to tow, a rescue litter carrier for $2,000 and a single track(1 wheel) trailer with 100lbs capacity, for over $1,000... at that point a conventional ATV would be cheaper and more useful?

Any 2 wheeled dirt bikes that can tow trailers? I know a lot of the larger road cruiser motorcycles do..
I suppose I could set it up to tow a small trailer at the expense of mobility.
A Rokon Trailbreaker would be the "cat's meow" for off road living. Yeah, they are slow. But they have two wheel drive, can store liquid in their wheels and often come with a trailer hitch.

And I thought the OP might be older than I am, but not even close.
Age is not just "in your head" , but if you are feeling "older" at mid 40's, I think your mindset is wrong.
Granted, I am not as strong as I once was, but like @Stomper , I still do the things I enjoyed when in my 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's... Dirtbikes being one of them.
Often times I think I'm inclined to do things the hard way just because I can. My nephew, who is about 30 complained about splitting wood and said, "I can't do this like I used to and it hurts. I will rent a splitter instead of swinging an axe." I'm twice his age and my reply was, "Sucks to be you!"
I'm a firm believer of "attitude is everything". To give up now would be failure.

I'm 61 and have no intention of slowing down until I actually can't do it anymore.
Dirt bikes keep you young, my riding buddies are all in their 50's and 60's and a couple are 75.

Cabo San Lucas 2013

_MG_1337.jpg Mexico trip 287.JPG

Name no, type, yes. Mini bikes with fat small tires?
Someones asking $800 for a Baja Super minibike project with tracks :s0140: it probably could be a good basis for a custom half-tracked cargo carrier ? View attachment 1798087View attachment 1798088
That's cool, but that's a large "mini bike".
The Bohnam Tote Goats could be three wheeled, with two rear tires outside of the frame like these tracks, but most were two wheelers. Low speed, but geared to climb a tree! The Forest Service used to use them
My first one was chain drive and had been converted from a three wheeler to a two wheeler.
The one I have now is a shaft drive and is actually street legal!
1953 Bohnam Tote Goat.

Tote Goat.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews