JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I was doing some work outside and I was feeling pretty good about myself not hurting, although I am very much out of shape (just carrying a heavy ladder 100 yards had me out of breath - yes, I need to get more exercise).

So I was changing the batteries in some of my motion detector lights. I came inside to get batteries and put them in the light when I turned to leave a room and almost fell down; my knee gave out on me - or rather it was suddenly very painful to try to stand on it. I could barely make it to a chair. Never had that much pain before in my knee/leg. It didn't pop, but my whole leg hurt.

That lasted most of the afternoon and well into the evening. It gradually got better but I kept a cane handy until I went to bed.

It still aches a little as does my lower back and now I am pretty sure it was my back that caused the problem and not the knee itself. I've had problems like this for a while, with them getting more severe over time, especially this last year. Chiropractic and deep tissue massage has helped. I've had xrays and my leg/hip and shoulder joints are okay, but this kind of thing can come on suddenly with something so minor as a strong sneeze throwing out my back and then I have problems walking.

If SHTF and I had to walk home and this happened, I would be stuck. More importantly I would not be able to help my family.

This kind of thing is also a disincentive to getting outside and doing things and getting back in shape - just making things worse.

:mad:

Yesterday I was doing some work outside and I was feeling pretty good about myself not hurting, although I am very much out of shape (just carrying a heavy ladder 100 yards had me out of breath - yes, I need to get more exercise).

So I was changing the batteries in some of my motion detector lights. I came inside to get batteries and put them in the light when I turned to leave a room and almost fell down; my knee gave out on me - or rather it was suddenly very painful to try to stand on it. I could barely make it to a chair. Never had that much pain before in my knee/leg. It didn't pop, but my whole leg hurt.

That lasted most of the afternoon and well into the evening. It gradually got better but I kept a cane handy until I went to bed.

It still aches a little as does my lower back and now I am pretty sure it was my back that caused the problem and not the knee itself. I've had problems like this for a while, with them getting more severe over time, especially this last year. Chiropractic and deep tissue massage has helped. I've had xrays and my leg/hip and shoulder joints are okay, but this kind of thing can come on suddenly with something so minor as a strong sneeze throwing out my back and then I have problems walking.

If SHTF and I had to walk home and this happened, I would be stuck. More importantly I would not be able to help my family.

This kind of thing is also a disincentive to getting outside and doing things and getting back in shape - just making things worse.

:mad:

I find myself thinking about this a lot lately. Often takes a while to get out of bed or from a chair now. For a couple days last week I had some kind of GI bug that almost made me take time off work. I was really hurting. Often think hope nothing breaks out while :)

Join a gym and pay for a physical trainer for a few sessions to start you off the right way so you don't injure anything.

I see people all of the time doing things incorrectly and have to bite my tongue.

I've also seen some older then me people get back into fantastic shape.

Join a gym and pay for a physical trainer for a few sessions to start you off the right way so you don't injure anything.

Too late. Way too late. I injured my back and neck when I was 17. I injured my shoulder before that.

It doesn't take much to throw them out now. Yesterday it was just a normal step and wham! I am that fragile and it makes me mad at myself for the stupid things I did when I was a kid that I am still paying for almost 50 years later.:mad:

I figure when it hits the fan I too might not be able to take the fight to them so I figure I will just hunker down in place, grab a bunch of ammo and go out in a blaze of glory.

Last Edited:
I accept I am getting old and accept the changes, what else can you really do? Deal is once I accepted the change I changed my tactics to fit what I can do. Heck we are not all equal physically even when we are young so you find your own way to deal with things. Ya the book is comming to the end and you are writing the last chapter, make it about what you can do and not about what you can't do.

I'm glad massages and chiropractic care helps you feel better but imo those only treat the symptoms. Physical therapy will treat the root of the problem through stretches and other activities.

I saw a chiropractor for three years in my teens, every week, obviously I felt better for a time but realized no progress was being made. Finally was referred to a physical therapist who taught me how important the simple act of stretching really is. I still have back pain and occasional spasms like you describe but they typically happen after a period of not doing the exercises that PT taught me long ago.

Ya Gotta Just Hang In There. ;)
MONTANAHUNT.jpg

I agree with all of the constructive advice above. You do the best you can, acknowledging limitations like physical conditioning, injuries (old/new), skills, provisions, proximity to loved ones, etc., etc.

Anyone's chances of surviving when the SHTF will also depend a LOT on what kind of S, and the velocity/direction of the F.

Yup, stretching and there are ways to get low impact exercise. I had a trainer show me how to strengthen the core that way. Makes a big difference to the back. I'm just lazy and so I continue to pay the price.

BTW, I have extreme arthritis and gout in my feet, so it makes it hard to walk for exercise. Like you, I injured myself in several ways when young... destroyed my ankle playing raquetball, injured my neck with an improper lift of weights. That's when I learned that exercise can be dangerous. I've avoided it ever since!! And while I am not as healthy as my two older brothers that live the Calif lifestyle, I've not had the dozens of surgical procedures they have due to sports and exercise injuries. Maniacs still think they're 20yrs old!!!! Oh, I had MRI of lower back, every disc is bulged and have stenosis pinching on sciatic. Also have bad arth in mid back. So with the old neck injury I'm pretty screwed. But if I don't lose about 40lbs I'm going to be very down in the back.

Soooo, I pretty much don't care if SHTF. I'm retired/retarded, so I don't need to worry about walking home. From where? Walmart is only 1/2 mile away. :D

You are worrying too much, as you get older your role just shifts, instead of "Hercules guerrila fighter running up and down mountains" you transition to "I'm going to sit way way far away comfortably with a large scope either mounted or not and provide overwatch support accordingly"

:)

I'm not "old" yet, but when I get there I'm going to be that "old" retired guy at the range most days helping the younger generation learn how to be safe with guns and be competetent shooters.

It will be pretty funny in 40 years when the "old" guy at the range isn't a "fudd" and who's favorite rifles are bullpup semi autos that take standard capacity magazines (30 rounds)

No, but they need to learn how to spell. :p;):D

Loose and lose are so commonly confused its not funny.

Here is a simple way to remember, both your shoes can be loose (2 shoes, 2 o's in loose) don't lose your head. (One o one head)

"Both your shoes can be loose, don't lose your head"

Spread the word to the less fortunate ;)

Only one alternative to getting older...no thanks for now...:D

OK, you've had your wake-up call.

I cut some maple yesterday; I could barely move last night. Sure, I over-did-it...I'll have it no other way...with my history, I have no business going at it that hard from 2 months of reading and walking in the park.

IMG_20180203_151232782_HDR.jpg

Growing older each year; being a typical logistical asymptote; we have to establish the new baseline each year...to be our current best.

Well done; you're that much further ahead of those who are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA