JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fortunately I am 6'6" so I can be overweight and it doesn't really show until I take my short off or you do some measurements of my upper body. I am eating a bit better - if I lose weight then that will be good - I could stand to lose at least 20 pounds, preferably 40.

More importantly, I need to get in shape. Saw the cardiologist yesterday - at this point, except for the partial blockage, high blood pressure and cholesterol, I am ok; it isn't my heart that is causing my chest pain - it is the fact that I am out of shape. So I am taking my meds, changing my diet and now I can work on getting back in shape a bit without worrying that I am going to have a heart attack.
Are you able to walk any distance yet?
Maybe there's a public pool close to you that offers "lap swimming".
Great aerobic activity for getting one in shape.

Dean

You know you look bad when women open the door for you.
I've always open the door for anyone who looks like they might appreciate it, whatever their sex or age. Such as those with arms full of packages, or on crutches, or in wheelchairs, or accompanied by small children.

I walked about half mile today.

The loggers are here cutting the trees on my back 10 acres so I am keeping an eye on what they are doing.
Hey, that's pretty good!
From what I remember of some earlier posts, not long ago you could barely make it out of the house.
This is good news. Please, keep it up! :s0155:

36050118_812720685589465_2055109278104027136_n.jpg

Looks like money in the bank.........I tell non rural people all the time that cutting timber is like mowing the lawn.....just takes longer to grow back.
Most of a lifetime. It is renewable. It is ugly at first, but in about 20 years it doesn't look half bad. In 60 years it will be ready to cut again, although it will need to be thinned in the meantime.

But you mostly can't see this part of my woods from the private road or the house; you have to walk through other woods to get to it, so the woods that will be left behind will still provide a wind barrier that will look nice from the house side. I could have made more money by cutting that too, but I think that will be offset by the 'curb appeal' of the property when I sell it. If the next owner wants to cut that too they can, but they will pay for its market value to get to that point.

I am hoping that this operation will pay for most if not all of the remaining mortgage. If not, it should give me a head start on my next property. I will just have to wait and see how much board feet come out of it and what I can sell that for. Either way, I should have a chunk of equity to bootstrap my next property and build a house that is further away from PDX, more secure, energy self-sufficient and better land that is more amenable to growing food on. Hopefully I can do all that and not have a mortgage.

As the logger said, now is the time to harvest; some of the older trees are falling of their own accord and just laying there, the rest are at their prime, the market is at its highest due to the wildfire, the tariffs and the demand. So if it is ever going to be cut, now is the time.

As the logger said, now is the time to harvest; some of the older trees are falling of their own accord and just laying there, the rest are at their prime, the market is at its highest due to the wildfire, the tariffs and the demand. So if it is ever going to be cut, now is the time.
You will be amazed at how many more deer and other game species will be there in the next couple of years. Animals and birds don't like grown or "climax" forest's. The brush will grow and everything will come to live there. The same as after fires, the game flourishes the years after a fire........huckleberries anyone?...........the length of a human life is very short compared with nature's clock. Many places today look nothing like they did 100 years ago. We had the 1910 "lost Dutchman" fire that ravaged much of northern Idaho, north eastern Washington and north western Montana. When I was young, the area was easy to identify because it was dominated by juvenile conifers all the same size. Now 60 years later the forest has been thinned and the trees are full grown giving the area an entirely different look. We never hunted those areas.......except around agricultural areas just because there was very little game in the thick forest

Last Edited:
There are plenty of deer and other wildlife now. As it is about once a week I almost hit a deer on the road moving from one part of the forest to another.

They like my woods as it was thinned before I bought it and they could get around in it just fine, but they do come out and munch on the grass in the areas I have cleared by the house. The key is not to clear cut everything - leave areas that they can use for cover. The woods nearer the house were heavily thinned about 4 years ago, leaving the larger trees alone - so it looks nice around the house.

The logger will replant about two thousand 2 year old fir seedlings per acre this coming winter, so it will be quite thick (about half of them probably won't survive) when they mature. I asked him to leave some existing cedar seedlings if possible. I know what that will look like in 20 years; all fir, close together, all the same age. There are a number of stands like that up here. Not as nice as it was before - but it will be ok and definitely better than suburbia. There will be a few large hardwoods and some cedar left behind.

I have been planting a couple dozen Leyland cypress near the house, and this winter I will plant some sequoia around too; one I planted when I move hear almost 6 years ago is over 10 feet tall now and doing well.

64859D46-73DA-4221-9515-F29213D2B122.jpeg
There are plenty of deer and other wildlife now. As it is about once a week I almost hit a deer on the road moving from one part of the forest to another.

They like my woods as it was thinned before I bought it and they could get around in it just fine, but they do come out and munch on the grass in the areas I have cleared by the house. The key is not to clear cut everything - leave areas that they can use for cover. The woods nearer the house were heavily thinned about 4 years ago, leaving the larger trees alone - so it looks nice around the house.

The logger will replant about two thousand 2 year old fir seedlings per acre this coming winter, so it will be quite thick (about half of them probably won't survive) when they mature. I asked him to leave some existing cedar seedlings if possible. I know what that will look like in 20 years; all fir, close together, all the same age. There are a number of stands like that up here. Not as nice as it was before - but it will be ok and definitely better than suburbia. There will be a few large hardwoods and some cedar left behind.

I have been planting a couple dozen Leyland cypress near the house, and this winter I will plant some sequoia around too; one I planted when I move hear almost 6 years ago is over 10 feet tall now and doing well.
Sounds like a perfect place for a European style "high Seat" hunting stand.

1. Get more exercise

2. The old prevail through cunningness, not brute force.

Beware of old men in professions where they tend to die young. ;)

We are the grey matter of the coming revolution. Fight with your intellect, cunning and experience, not with your back!
An excellent rifleman with a .22 in a riot is FORCE MULTIPLIER!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top