JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tires worked in Haiti.

1712132341472.png

There are a couple of problems with used tires for defense:

1) They burn. Molotov cocktails or flamethrowers/et. al., would get them burning, regardless of what you fill them with. Once burning they are very hard to extinguish, especially in large numbers.

2) Government does not like large piles of tires because of the fire danger and because of pollution from the tires themselves. So often there are regulations and laws about what can be done or not done with used tires, especially large numbers of them.

3) If/when it comes time to sell a property, a large number of tires (i.e., more than half a dozen), become an eyesore to prospective buyers and degrade the value of the property because buyers don't want to have to deal with them.

4) I have seen bullets bounce off tires, so I am not a fan of shooting at them (in the case of people advocating using them as a backstop).

That said, in a TEOTWAWKI situation, I suppose they would be useful.

1) They burn. Molotov cocktails or flamethrowers/et. al., would get them burning, regardless of what you fill them with. Once burning they are very hard to extinguish, especially in large numbers.
Oh, yes. That was what they used to do signals and block routes in Mogadishu in the 1990s. Edit. Piles of tires burning at specific locations in the city

Oh, yes. That was what they used to do signals and block routes in Mogadishu in the 1990s. Edit. Piles of tires burning at specific locations in the city
Yes indeed...thank you for bringing back that lovely memory...:eek: :D
Kidding you here...the memories from that deployment and fight are always with me.
Which ain't a good thing nor is it a bad thing...it is however a memory / lesson / experience that I have learned from.
Andy

Actor Dennis Weaver ("Chester" in Gunsmoke, and "McCloud" in his own series) built a home out of repurposed tires 20-30 yrs ago. His were filled with straw/mud packed with a sledgehammer.

Les Schwab was busted 40-some-odd years ago for filling an entire canyon in Eastern Oregon with cast-offs.

Personally, I'd utilize tires for their intended task: Getting to a place where the "S" is NOT hitting any fans.

I suppose you could use tires as a baffle stack to mitigate noise if building a shooting range... Might not be that useful for actual training, but for sighting / zeroing optics it would probably serve a purpose. That's assuming you have the space / backstop to do it.

I suppose you could use tires as a baffle stack to mitigate noise if building a shooting range... Might not be that useful for actual training, but for sighting / zeroing optics it would probably serve a purpose. That's assuming you have the space / backstop to do it.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads