JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Canadian Prepper had a video a long time ago that stood out to me, it was about being a prepper in old age. The premise was, when you're 60, 70, etc. what is the point of prepping? We all have our time coming for us. To top it off, at that age, you're not going to ruck march out of town, do Chris Costa type maneuvers with rifles and pistols, etc.

Point is, I've been an avid camper, hiker, outdoorsman and survivalist. But as I get older (now approaching mid 40's), I just can't see myself doing this stuff at 50. Maybe even as soon as 45. As it stands, despite being muscular, working out, being athletic, etc. I am beginning to hate hiking in hills with 80+ lbs of gear. The list goes on. Being a prepper in middle/old age is like being an infantry soldier in old age, it just doesn't make sense, hence why those guys are all young "kids".

But that begs the question, what do I do with my new found free time if I'm not prepping/training, etc.? Go wine tasting? Checkout museums? Collect stamps?

But that begs the question, what do I do with my new found free time if I'm not prepping/training, etc.? Go wine tasting? Checkout museums? Collect stamps?
Do the same things, only with pack animals and a cart/wagon? Or ride a horse. Let the animals take the loads off. Go easy on your body. Smooth it out in the woods.

Use an ATV, UTV, motorbike. Use a camper truck/van/SUV. Make it easier for yourself. Buy a plot of land in the woods with an off grid cabin and become a hermit, going into town only for supplies?

Build a library of books you like reading. Cultivate an easy life that fits your interests. I'm 40 going on 41 and raising two small kids myself. So mostly it'll be family stuff with the wife, my father raised me in his 40s-60s and was quite active up until cancer took him away.

Canadian Prepper had a video a long time ago that stood out to me, it was about being a prepper in old age. The premise was, when you're 60, 70, etc. what is the point of prepping? We all have our time coming for us. To top it off, at that age, you're not going to ruck march out of town, do Chris Costa type maneuvers with rifles and pistols, etc.

Point is, I've been an avid camper, hiker, outdoorsman and survivalist. But as I get older (now approaching mid 40's), I just can't see myself doing this stuff at 50. Maybe even as soon as 45. As it stands, despite being muscular, working out, being athletic, etc. I am beginning to hate hiking in hills with 80+ lbs of gear. The list goes on. Being a prepper in middle/old age is like being an infantry soldier in old age, it just doesn't make sense, hence why those guys are all young "kids".

I kind of get your point, but I believe as you age your prepping doesn't necessarily diminish so much as simply shifting in focus. IOW, not for yourself so much as for your posterity. Becoming an example, a teacher, providing opportunities to pass on valuable skills and stocking resources for the future potential needs of your children and such. Noting that they are just building their lives and may not be in a position to fully provide for themselves if SHTF.

I don't necessarily consider myself a "prepper", so much as just a prudent planner, but at the point and time I am in my life... very little of it is actually with myself in mind.

Interesting subject. My shift has gone from 'arming up' and storing food - STILL important - to taking care of my mental and physical health.

There is zero fear of death in me. Never could relate to that at all. However, laying on a couch obese and immobile was something I decided wasn't something I for me and I changed my course. Worse would be laying in a hospital at the mercy of a corrupt, uncaring for-profit only medical system or a 'rest home.'

So as a "Prepper" over 60 my goal is to stay active and healthy as long as I can, but most of all try to enjoy life even in this declining Clown World society.

If you have tens of millions of dollars and a mansion but are laying vertical on a sofa eating a pizza and downing an IPA, pulling down a face diaper to take a bite, at 60+ you are a life loser IMO. It will not matter if you have more ammo or PMs than an small country.

As a guy who has slaved working for 40 years I've lived in big homes, paid taxes, never taken a hand out, drove Porsches, Mercedes, Jags and all of those materialistic distractions. The happiest times in my life when young or old was when I stepped back and let go. Enjoyed life, specifically, van life and being out by myself. Cared about my HEALTH. Things own you not the other way around.

Many years back people like Edward Bernais turned us all into corporate gov't consumers obsessed with something that really isn't real. Material 'wealth.' I see other guys my age spending all their time trying to get more 'things' and I have to pity them.

Looking at my life I see the happiest people are the ones not tied into social constructs like marriage, having kids, must own a home, must subscribe to politics and vote, must be part of this tribe or that one. Let go of being told by others what you must do to be a man and do your own thing. Stay vibrant and healthy as long as you can.

Then rent an Arial Atom and get it up to 180mph hahahaha. Other than that, enjoy the buffet!

I've heard a few times old preppers start to teach or become more involved in the community. My dad went from prepping to CERT and Ham radio. Personally I don't feel too old yet and I'm close to your age but, I can see where you are coming from.

I find it relaxing to sit in my basement and watch Ron Spomer. (Or reloading and listening to holiday music)

I'm on the downhill slide to 60, was in the Infantry, have no chronic health issues, not on prescriptions, no waistline muffin-top, 98% debt free, regularly ride hours upon hours on enduro motorcycles in rugged mountainous terrain, and physically I'm 2/3 the man I used to be when 17-38…. which is still at least twice the man of 80% of all millennials who don't lift anything heavier than a smartphone.

Having said that…. the missing 1/3 of my former "glory days self" says, "work smarter, not harder"!

I also concur with @Burt Gummer on shedding materialism, it's quite liberating getting rid of the chaff (possessions and/or people) in your life that holds you back from the joy of living.

;) :D

Point is, I've been an avid camper, hiker, outdoorsman and survivalist. But as I get older (now approaching mid 40's), I just can't see myself doing this stuff at 50. Maybe even as soon as 45. As it stands, despite being muscular, working out, being athletic, etc. I am beginning to hate hiking in hills with 80+ lbs of gear.
As you get older your gear is supposed to get lighter and less. If your still humping 80+lbs you need to dump the stuff you never use and get new modern UL gear. That said, my perspective is from a recreational backpacking view, I'm not planning on surviving any apocalypse in the wilderness. Your not old either, I'm 52 and still camping, hiking, backpacking. I just did an elk hunt backpack... elk, backpacking.... yes, was gonna haul a huge bull out 3+ miles from the trailhead high in the mountains.. piece by piece as needed. Your not old.
Yes, enjoy life its not all about one thing.

As we get older at some point all of us will return to being entirely dependent on society's structure for our comfort and safety. If SHTF when your 80, there's nothing you can do but hope the community can help you.

Make sure to live...'cause everyone dies...but not everyone truly lives.

Attitudes , outlooks and viewpoints change over time.
How I thought when I was a young Infantryman , was different then when I was a NCO in charge of a LRRP / LRSD detachment....
How I think now...at 54 is different from then as well.
Those experiences still have an impact and shape my viewpoint...but no longer are they at the forefront of my thought.
That said...
I can still apply what I learned and experienced then...to now , if need be.

Something to consider when "prepping:" at middle age and beyond...is prescription medicine.
Some things have a longish shelf life , things like ibuprofen and the like...
Other things like blood pressure or heart medicine does not.
Diet and exercise , along with looking into some sort of natural alternatives may be of benefit here.
Andy

Honestly I've been retired for 8 years and I'm just busy. Even if I didn't have the ammo business going on there is a metric butt load of things to do. Yard work, firewood, dog walks, mushroom picking, leaf peeping, trips to the coast for lunch. And then there is the 40 or so guns to shoot and reload for. Prepping, not really, I all ready did that so I can live my life now as I do. I get up early and drink a cup of coffee watching the dawn of a new day full of endless possibilities and I get to decide which of them I'll do today.

Wow, all this talk about humping heavy rucks and equipment has got me thinking that either I went about "prepping" a55-backwards or a whole bunch of others did/are.

Decades ago I bought out the family ranch and set about "prepping" with self sufficiency in mind. After 30 years of study, planning, documentation, hard work, and determination, I'm quite confident in saying that if every trace of civilization outside the borders of my property vanished, me, my heirs, and a select group of others would be just fine for farther into the future than I can see.

So, to my mind, those that plan to pack up and beat feet are choosing a potentially extremely difficult, dangerous, and miserable lifestyle trying to eke out an existence on the hoof... Or, I really did go about it a55-backwards but saved myself from having to hump around a bunch of "survival equipment" that everyone I came across would probably be willing to kill me for.

Just a thought...

I kind of get your point, but I believe as you age your prepping doesn't necessarily diminish so much as simply shifting in focus. IOW, not for yourself so much as for your posterity. Becoming an example, a teacher, providing opportunities to pass on valuable skills and stocking resources for the future potential needs of your children and such. Noting that they are just building their lives and may not be in a position to fully provide for themselves if SHTF.

I don't necessarily consider myself a "prepper", so much as just a prudent planner, but at the point and time I am in my life... very little of it is actually with myself in mind.
Nailed it!

Canadian Prepper had a video a long time ago that stood out to me, it was about being a prepper in old age. The premise was, when you're 60, 70, etc. what is the point of prepping? We all have our time coming for us.
That makes me scratch my head in amusement.
Prepping is more applicable to a natural disaster occurring than some end of the civilized world armagedon scenario. In the Pacific Northwest that probably means earthquakes or related geologic activity.
So is some couple who are 60 or older supposed to forgo having some water, food and fuel available in an emergency? It seems to be suggested they not bother, just die quickly please.
Being a prepper in middle/old age is like being an infantry soldier in old age, it just doesn't make sense, hence why those guys are all young "kids".
Others have mentioned this reply and I will echo it. At my age and medical concerns I will not be marching long distance if there is combat. I would be of more service in the rear guard delaying any oncoming assault. I do believe that in a well fortified and stocked location of my choosing (for example my root cellar) it would take more than small arms fire to dislodge me.

Depends on what you consider "prepping". Sheltering in place is going to be the safest plan for most bad situations. Even if you're in an apartment or condo and have limited space to store essential supplies, sheltering in place is still going to be safer than hitting the road unless you actually have someplace to go.

Become a mentor to some one or youth group. Should crisis come, you'll be needed to offer experience and survival knowledge to the young or grasshoppers who were wiling away while you were gathering.

Probably going to regurgitate other replies above.

For context, I'm 43 as of nov 2023. Two years ago I was 242LB, 38-40" waist, and all I thought about was what the next video game was going to be. November 2020 rolled around and woke me up and redpilled me. I went holy bubblegum I need guns, food, skills, and get into shape or die when shtf. Now I'm 184LB, 33" waist, I ruck weekly which was great and part of a group.

TO YOUR QUESTION... one of our guys is later 50s, my dad is 65. You have potentially decades more life depending on your fitness/health. I actually enjoy and appreciate the older guys that I train with. Perhaps not the most popular answer, but I also would prefer a dude or three in their later years who most likely have REAL life skills (welding, building, mechanics, electrical, lumber, plumbing, gardening, farming, medical).

Now, just because you're 60 does that make you wise and a leader? Hell no, there are a lot of dumbass people in the world of all ages.

But I would say you should absolutely prepare even in older ages because you may likely end up being a pillar for your community/family/group. Most genz morons are busy scrolling TikTok, not preparing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top