JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a number of factors, but one thing I did when I was 17 was a stupid move. Long story short, I flipped a car, end for end, twice. This screwed up my back which as I got older got worse and worse to the point where at times (like yesterday) it can flare up and make walking any non-trivial distance difficult and painful. Beyond that, if I try to do certain kinds of physical exertion, then my back and neck make that difficult too - so combine that with the fact that I am a bit lazy, yes, my lifestyle is more sedentary than is healthy.

If I had stuck with physical work I would not have made it this far because of my back. I have a friend same age as I am, who did physical work all his life. He wore out his knees and has other physical problems now and had to retire early several years ago.

I do not have the best genetics either - no one in my immediate family has made it past the middle 80s before dying of cancer, stroke or heart disease. My father was fairly physical - he hunted and exercised regularly up until the last couple of years and died of cancer (recurring) in his late 70s (also had dementia and other related issues). I had an aunt who always seemed very healthy and led a healthy lifestyle who suddenly died early in her 70s from an intestinal issue.

Stuff happens - deal with it.

Been there . Also riding the old dirt bikes of the 60,s that weighed a ton and had 3 inches of suspension travel.After I got older I ate tons of Ibuprofen To deal with the arthritis That found a home in all my old injury's And joints . Ended up with bleeding ulcers of coarse. But I know guys that sit behind a desk that did not make it this far. Maybe its conditioning , like boot camp . If i keep moving it seems to be better and if i dont let myself get over weight helps.. A extra 30 pounds makes a big difference on the knees and low back. They should introduce a automatic right to stand your ground law for guys over 50. If things get ugly I sure cant run very far . LOL

Angie,

I've got part of a bottle of Grapeseed extract, but cannot remember why I have it (definitely not for memory loss!).
Are you taking it to control your rising BP, or does it have other benefits?

Dean

I'm taking it for the BP. I'm not sure if it's the supplement, oils or both, but I'm going to keep doing both in an effort to avoid the medications. I'm looking forward to seeing my doctor in November and seeing the look on her face when she sees my stats.

I'm taking it for the BP. I'm not sure if it's the supplement, oils or both, but I'm going to keep doing both in an effort to avoid the medications. I'm looking forward to seeing my doctor in November and seeing the look on her face when she sees my stats.
I' interested in something natural that works for BP I'm on BP meds now and would like to get off.

Just remember - when you take your BP measurements makes a difference:

Before I ate my breakfast this morning: 148/92
One hour after breakfast: 119/72

Most people have higher BP when they first get up - it is the adrenaline caused by your circadian rhythm. You BP drops after you eat as blood is redirected to your digestive system to work on the food.

I've never been one to run to the medicine cabinet. As mentioned above, dealing w/pain becomes a lifestyle and a normal part of daily life. I have a friend on Motrin, basically just a lot of Ibuprofen, he takes it everyday along w/muscle relaxers. He has to have his liver checked yearly, he seems to be doing o.k. but does have a lot of little issues. Even when I was young I wouldn't take anything for a headache, I don't like pills.

I'm 55 and work a sedentary job, I have for the last 30 years. Sit at a desk all day everyday. I also have a tree farm, shoot a lot, hunt a lot, am raising my 9 yo twins, spent many years most weekends on a dirt bike and have 23 broken bones along w/rods, screws and plates that go a long w/it. Did the year recovery from a broken hip/pelvis/femur, I weigh the same as I did when I graduated hi-school/college. Neither my wife or I take any meds other than her allergy pills and we're in better shape than our older kids. We don't sit still for long, there's always plenty to do around the farm and with 9 year olds it's not really an option.

I'm noticing some of my long time friends are developing 'old age' ailments, high BP, heart related issues, joint pains, etc. I have pain every morning but it's mostly not debilitating, sometimes my foot will hurt almost to much to walk on (broke the talus in my left foot and am now developing arthritis) depending on the weather and what I've been doing. I hobble around or put a shoe on to alleviate the discomfort, that only happens a few weeks a year. The more I move the better I feel. I work out but not consistently and never really have, I just keep busy. We've never been ones to eat out or eat processed foods, we just like to cook and find we are dissapointed when have expectations of a great meal at a nice restaurant only to be served something we could do better at home. Living in the sticks you pretty much need to make your own food, we eat a lot of game meat and garden. I'll say it again, living a country life is about as healthy as it gets. Nothings free or easy and you appreciate it all.

I figured out a long time ago that I could make the kind of money needed to get me where I wanted by sitting at a desk but just because that's my work it's not who I am. I only go into the office a couple days a week anymore. Some of my friends did hard, back breaking work, they're mostly broke down now. Bad backs, knees, hips, hearts etc.. I played hard and work hard around the farm but could always to my job, even when broken. I'm one of the few in my family who chose a sedentary job, it's worked out well for me but I'm NOT a sedentary guy and not all desk jockeys are.

I'm old..........still good looking though. I'm well over 70.
I need a cane to walk and beat off all the women.
If this fearsome omnipresent end of the world "SHTF"
scenario ever happens I'll watch it on tv with a rum and
coke in my hand. Wait: I don't have a tv. Maybe that's why
I don't see death around every corner.
Well heck, there goes that plan down the tubes.
Paranoia was just starting to set in too.
Well, that's disappointing.

Yup - I have been able to work when I crush my foot - had pins sticking out of my foot propped up on a chair. Got around on crutches while popping hydrocodone. Took months to walk normally again - but I was able to work. As long as I can see and type and my mind functions, I can work. Would not be working now if I was still a diesel mech.

Yup, there comes an age when $1000 is much better spent on an AED than an AR. :)

Risk management is all about understanding likelihood vs impact, and applying resources accordingly...

Well, I've always done physical work, but not much hard physical labor. However, I hate exercise programs, (therefore) only getting exercise by yardwork, playing hard, etc. Now I'm sedentary, on BP meds, have inflammation problems, and I'm fat around the belly from eating too much. I gotta change.

On the other hand, I have a brother who worked hard and played hard, and exercised hard... the doc told him to keep his exercise more gentle. But he didn't do it. Three knee repair surgeries, two knee replacements, one shoulder repair... all from biking. 5 lung surgeries from weightlifting despite bad lungs. Massive back surgery that could only be done at Stanford. Now he is fairly immobile. Neck problems. Tremors from pre-Parkinsons. I often wonder which of us is better off.

My other brother has had high BP, and worked construction, since his 20s. He is now 71 and on the edge of kidney failure for a number of years. He drinks lots of water and stays active.

High BP, strokes, diabetes, inflammatory disease all runs in my family. Everybody gotta die of something. If one wants to modify eating and exercise, IMO that's great... but remember to do things that keep you happy if you want to live.

Last Edited:
I' interested in something natural that works for BP I'm on BP meds now and would like to get off.
One thing, if you can handle the cost, acupuncture.
My mother, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and high blood pressure, started doing acupuncture when she could no longer do water aerobics.
It takes a little time to take effect, but what the acupuncturist explained is that he treats blood pressure. Once that levels out, everything else is supposed to fall in line.
Mom originally went in, mostly, for the arthritis, having been on a strict regiment of meds for her BP.
Now its 3 years later, and all she takes are vitamins.
Her BP is in a great spot (130-150 / 70-90...she's 93 years old, mind you) and her arthritis hardly ever bothers her anymore.
I have to say, I was pretty skeptical when she started this, but its been a interesting journey and I'm here everyday to see the results.

...something to consider, anyway.

Dean

Last Edited:
One thing, if you can handle the cost, acupuncture.
My mother, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and high blood pressure, started doing acupuncture when she could no longer do water aerobics.
It takes a little time to take effect, but what the acupuncturist explained is that he treats blood pressure. Once that levels out, everything else is supposed to fall in line.
Mom originally went in, mostly, for the arthritis, having been on a strict regiment of meds for her BP.
Now its 3 years later, and all she takes are vitamins.
Her BP is in a great spot (130-150 / 70-90...she's 93 years old, mind you) and her arthritis hardly ever bothers her anymore.
I have to say, I was pretty skeptical when she started this, but its been a interesting journey and I'm here everyday to see the results.

...something to consider, anyway.

Dean

I'm seeing an acupuncturist for the first time next week! For shoulder pain that my doctor suspects is arthritis. The turmeric and frankincense he recommended are not working much anymore and it's keeping me from sleeping well. I will make sure and tell her about the blood pressure also :D

Well, I've always done physical work, but not much hard physical labor. However, I hate exercise programs, (therefore) only getting exercise by yardwork, playing hard, etc. Now I'm sedentary, on BP meds, have inflammation problems, and I'm fat around the belly from eating too much. I gotta change.

On the other hand, I have a brother who worked hard and played hard, and exercised hard... the doc told him to keep his exercise more gentle. But he didn't do it. Three knee repair surgeries, two knee replacements, one shoulder repair... all from biking. 5 lung surgeries from weightlifting despite bad lungs. Massive back surgery that could only be done at Stanford. Now he is fairly immobile. Neck problems. Tremors from pre-Parkinsons. I often wonder which of us is better off.

My other brother has had high BP, and worked construction, since his 20s. He is now 71 and on the edge of kidney failure for a number of years. He drinks lots of water and stays active.

High BP, strokes, diabetes, inflammatory disease all runs in my family. Everybody gotta die of something. If one wants to modify eating and exercise, IMO that's great... but remember to do things that keep you happy if you want to live.

Well at least these communist will make sure you don' die from gun violance.

Unfortunately I'm not as fit as Tully and a simple two day handgun course in sunny Nevada just proved that. I lasted the first day and did not respond to the bell afterwards. I'm okay mind you, just not recovered enough yet. Sorry to cut the wife short too, as she was pretty happy shooting her Glock.

Hey I didn't say anything about being fit, just upright and walking:s0112:

Yeah, I have the medicine cabinet of drugs my doc convinced me I needed. Upto 8 prescriptions. If I missed either one, I might be uncomfortable but not dead. If the SHTF, rest assured I am ready. Competitions keep me up on the shooting skills. I don't have to be the best, just better than most.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top