JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I am so so sorry. I also forgot I have a Winchester 94 30-30. I will add that to the list. This post is really helping me a lot. thank you to EVERYONE!!

And to add to this my use of Need is in regards to a specific "believable" situation (lol I know). Such as "have a backup side arm". Not as in Need like I need water. People can be a bit too literal and not use common sense, or they are just being funny. Either way I hope this explains my use of the work need.

Ok so I LOVE my guns but I don't know why I need any more than I have. I have purchased what I have for specific reasons and I feel I am almost done. This is only for myself, so wife and kids are a different subject. But I am not a collector and I do not want to have to keep 20 different calibers of ammo.

1. Remington MODEL 870 EXPRESS TACTICAL (12G)

2. Ruger Precision Rifle (.308)

3. Custom built AR-15 (5.56)

4. Ruger 10/22 Takedown (.22)

5. Remington 700 STS (.308)

6. Springfield XDM 3.8" COMPACT MODEL (9mm)

7. Winchester 94 30-30

If there is a good reason other then collecting please let me know why and what. Also yes I know the great debate on (9mm vs .40 vs .45) and in the end I feel if you use the correct ammo a 9 will do the job 98% of the time.

You are basically asking a question, that only you yourself can answer. So this is really quite a pointless thing for you to bring up.

What guns a person needs ( or wants ) is very much an individualistic matter.

For example: for someone who is big time into hunting or formal target shooting, your guns would be a very poor collection.

You are basically asking a question, that only you yourself can answer. So this is really quite a pointless thing for you to bring up.

For example: for someone who is big time into hunting or formal target shooting, your guns would be a very poor collection.

DING!

Why do people keep saying this? I feel like they don't read the previous postings. A lot of people have helped answer this question in this thread. But thank you for.......

It's a damn good way to invest your money if you shop smart - guns rarely go down in value and it takes a little bit of effort so sell them so it's not like an ATM where you can just grab the cash for impulse buys;).

I have a friend and he only has an XD(m) maybe in 45.

I've pointed out many very good deals and he has pointed out he is happy with what he has and isn't looking to buy anymore - even though he has the income to do so if he wanted too.

Me... well the wife started a new job and I've been able to keep us afloat for years by selling off most of my collection (minus heirlooms and my first purchase at 18) to get her to a great job (not huge money but her dream job).

Now we can pay the bills with what she makes but I'm still looking for a decent job so I can rebuild my 401k and my gun collection.

I only bought great deals and sold them at reasonable prices. There was only one gun I took a hit on and 15% isn't bad considering what I paid for it.

If you have money and room in a safe, buy more guns and ammo.

Keep an eye on the ammo and gun prices and when they dip, buy buy buy. It saved my bacon (and house...).:rolleyes:

Why do people keep saying this? I feel like they don't read the previous postings. A lot of people have helped answer this question in this thread. But thank you for.......

Because it's kinda like me asking you: What should I buy to wear?

I have clothes, but why do I need more?

Without more information from me, you cannot ever answer the question.

You need more guns because there are more guns out there. o_O

Honestly it depends, some people just want more guns. Some like collecting military rifles (Mosin Nagants, SKSs, M1 Garands, etc).

So you are saying that you rely on other people to tell you what your own personal needs are??

No one has the same needs.

For example, I've been repeatedly told by others that I need to own something in 7.62x39mm Well, guess what? I still don't own anything in that caliber. And never will.

So you are saying that you rely on other people to tell you what your own personal needs are??

No one has the same needs.

For example, I've been repeatedly told by others that I need to own something in 7.62x39mm Well, guess what? I still don't own anything in that caliber. And never will.

I don't rely on others I just like input from others because I don't know everything and some people are just plain smarter them me

There are a lot of people who won't/don't read the whole thread once it gets to this length, maybe edit the first post to mention you essentially mean want, instead of need?

True of all, but know that we can't say what you need unless you specify what's missing in your collection.

Ok so I LOVE my guns but I don't know why I need any more than I have. I have purchased what I have for specific reasons and I feel I am almost done. This is only for myself, so wife and kids are a different subject. But I am not a collector and I do not want to have to keep 20 different calibers of ammo.

1. Remington MODEL 870 EXPRESS TACTICAL (12G)
2. Ruger Precision Rifle (.308)
3. Custom built AR-15 (5.56)
4. Ruger 10/22 Takedown (.22)
5. Remington 700 STS (.308)
6. Springfield XDM 3.8" COMPACT MODEL (9mm)
7. Winchester 94 30-30

If there is a good reason other then collecting please let me know why and what. Also yes I know the great debate on (9mm vs .40 vs .45) and in the end I feel if you use the correct ammo a 9 will do the job 98% of the time.

My thought for your list would be to sell the 30/30 and the STS (unless they were heirlooms).
Get a second pistol, second AR, and a second shotgun. Please take this with a grain of salt, because I don't know you, your motivations for owning, financial situation, etc. Also, please know that there's no desire to offend with the suggestions..

As a contrast to your list, I'll show mine. For me, the general thought is 2 per in each of the major calibers (9mm/.40, .223/308/.300blk 22lr,12-g). It increases flexibility to have multiple caliber options in case of shortages. Multiple weapons of the same type & configuration means that in an absolute worst case, you have spares on hand. Magazines are shared, holsters, etc..

edit: You may want to consider 7.62x39 & 7.62x54 as well. Those haven't entered into my equations, yet.

"Singles"
Ruger 10/22 (.22)
Winchester 60 (.22s/.22/.22lr) <-- Also my dad's when he was a kid.
Savage 10fp (.223)
Rem700 (.308)

2=1
Shotgun A-1 (12-g)
Shtogun A-2 (12-g) 20" barrel. same make/model.

Pistol A-1 (9mm) I have a .22lr conversion for each of these, for cheaper practice.
Pistol A-2 (9mm) Both of these are identical, including sites, barrels, trigger feel, etc.
==
Pistol B-1 (.40)
Pistol B-2 (.40) Both of these are identical, including sites, barrels, trigger feel, etc.
==
AR-15 A-1 (5.56)
AR-15 A-2 (5.56) Both of these are identical, including scopes, triggers, BUIS etc.
==
SBR A-1 (.300blk)
SBR A-2 (.300blk) Both of these are identical, including red-dots, triggers, BUIS etc.
==
FAL A-1 (.308)
FAL A-2 (.308) Both of these are identical, including scopes, triggers, magazines, etc.

This list has taken me quite a while (since 2005) to get to, but it was the goal. I do have other firearms in addition to this, but this list was purpose driven. The others I have are for fun. Who doesn't want an A-Team original Mini-14 factory folder :cool::D

Hannibal.jpg

Last Edited:
I like to train with what I use, Kickback and all. Getting a lower caliber would almost double the types of ammo I would need to purchas (not a smart $$$ idea as I also race cars lol)

It doesn't necessarily need to double your type of ammo.
You are already buying .22lr
You are already buying 9mm

Sig, Beretta, CZ and Glock all have .22lr training uppers/slides for the base gun (9mm in your case).

Sig has their "Conversion kits"
Beretta has their trainers
CZ has their "Kadets"
Glock has multiple after market options.

Gotta be honest I haven't read all the responses! o_O I had that thought at one point for about an hour then I shot a friends pistol or AR or blah blah bu blah so in short I've bought at least three more since then.:D And now have the thought that I may need a new safe for more :confused:

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads