JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's a great point about the malcomar and century cetme being available. No interest in the cetme personally, but I have nothing against them. Adaptive firing solutions in clackamas has a century one for like $729.

Ptr is coming out with a 5.56 hk 43 clone supposedly by this summer. I'm not usually an early adopter but since the m114 appeals are in September I'll be very surprised if I don't buy one when they come out. The mke mp5 and mp5k clones are so unbelievably smooth and fun to shoot. Just got a .308 version yesterday so we'll see how it does. Would love to have roller delay in 9mm, 5.56, and .308. And if anyone ever gets around to a 10mm clone that woudl be awesome too.

Here's the PTR .308. Such a handy size. Kind of like those quart ziploc bags ha ha. Mags are $3.49-$10 depending on if you want like new or not.

1911B49E-1369-4C37-8E55-5592BB8ACBBA.jpeg
4C6E42FF-E2D1-48DD-94C4-33AE146015CC.jpeg

Last Edited:
One that might be neato to see more options in is the .480 Ruger. AFAIK, only Ruger, Freedom Arms, and Magnum Research (the latter two in .475 Linebaugh form) makes'em.
The 480 got a raw deal by being introduced almost side by side with the bigger 500 S&W Magnum. I've never shot one but hear they are no slouch in the power department.

The 480 got a raw deal by being introduced almost side by side with the bigger 500 S&W Magnum. I've never shot one but hear they are no slouch in the power department.
Good point. Honestly, the reason I didn't go with a .480 was precisely because I had already gone with the .500 Magnum in that department. The Ruger offering is still a solid cartridge though.

300wsm, 338wsm, 7mm SAUM, 6.8SPC
And the ammunition to come back with them.

I don't really get why the SA magnums died, especially the 300wsm.

*edited to add 357.sig and 338 federal to the list

Last Edited:
Isn't 338 federal pretty much on par with 338-06?
"Pretty much" and "exactly equal" are not the same things. More powder capacity in the -06 case means more power, full stop.

Plus, some people just like long actions better than short actions

"Pretty much" and "exactly equal" are not the same things. More powder capacity in the -06 case means more power, full stop.

Plus, some people just like long actions better than short actions
I did some digging. It's 100fps difference for the 200+ grain loads. I'm asking out of legitimate curiosity. What is the appeal to long actions over a short action if performance is equal? Is it just for hand loading, giving you a greater flexibility in OAL through load development? If not then why the preference for long actions if we are hypothetically matching factory performance between an SA and LA load?

I did some digging. It's 100fps difference for the 200+ grain loads. I'm asking out of legitimate curiosity. What is the appeal to long actions over a short action if performance is equal? Is it just for hand loading, giving you a greater flexibility in OAL through load development? If not then why the preference for long actions if we are hypothetically matching factory performance between an SA and LA load?
100 extra fps is a pretty big deal when you're around the 2600/2700 mark. The -06 case can be loaded to do anything the federal case can, but not the other way around. The performance is NOT matched and that's exactly the point.

I had my 338-06 built back in 2000. It is on a modified 1917 Enfield . It was already a sporteried action so basically just had a new barrel screwed on
I don't know much about the 338RCM so I can't compare. I know if I was to do it today i would not change the caliber. I like the fact I can simply run 30-06 brass through my 338-06 decapping die and its ready to reload. I have not killed anything with it but hope to. I know that it's sub MOA. I have settled on Hornady 225g SSTs.It has shot all bullets well. It has not been shot for a while. I have had several 35 whelens since I had this rifle built. It's nothing fancy but I trust it

Enabling again, there is a set of dies in the classifieds here and Midway has the 480 Ruger in stock

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top