JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My profession is tech/database development, so I see this a lot. It's full of nerds.

When you're having a conversation with someone and they say "well..actually".
Well actually, I'm going to shove my size 12 boot so far up your azz you'll need to see a dentist. How about that, Poindexter??? :s0118:

I hate those know it alls so damn much

Someone must be out of it to even vote for this guy... :s0140:

1714133882462.jpeg

My profession is tech/database development, so I see this a lot. It's full of nerds.

When you're having a conversation with someone and they say "well..actually".
I only say that when what I am going to say is actually correct and what I am correcting is wrong.

Eventually I learned to not talk about politics/religion/guns at the workplace, so I didn't use that phrase as often as before - but when I did, it often was about correcting some myth about guns, and not just a small technicality.

Otherwise, it was sometimes about when someone would say something could not be done with our codebase or that it would take a long time - that wasn't very often though as the codebase at DTNA was a mess and what seemed simple often turned into something complex with side effects and often took much longer than anyone thought.

My experience is that old code is always a mess, most likely undocumented, usually not normalized and will always take five times longer than thought o recode, debug and properly document. Like you, I always approach anything with the idea that it CAN be done..but..

Anyhow..neither here nor there. I'm tired of tech, have been tired of it for a while. Just not sure what sort of career to move on to. Alot of it has to do with the unconsciously incompetent know-it-all mentality that floods most IT organizations. It's usually 5% of the team that knows what they're doing, and 95% that just ride along and collect a paycheck.

/rant off

My experience is that old code is always a mess, most likely undocumented, usually not normalized and will always take five times longer than thought o recode, debug and properly document. Like you, I always approach anything with the idea that it CAN be done..but..

Anyhow..neither here nor there. I'm tired of tech, have been tired of it for a while. Just not sure what sort of career to move on to. Alot of it has to do with the unconsciously incompetent know-it-all mentality that floods most IT organizations. It's usually 5% of the team that knows what they're doing, and 95% that just ride along and collect a paycheck.

/rant off
Before I retired I thought that when I retire I might take a part time job working on code. I thought I might write this or that OSS code.

Early 2021 I got a short temp gig writing/fixing some code for a financial firm on the east coast. I thought it would be easy and quick until I dug into the existing code and learned it was a mess - it took me 5X longer than I thought it would and I was embarrassed about what I left them with.

I also realized just how much work it was to work - after having been away from working on code for almost a year. It was then I made up my mind that I just wasn't that into it anymore and I was burned out after 30+ years of s/w dev.

So once I got off UI, I stopped looking for jobs of any sort and didn't look back. I could go back, even after 4 years - I am better than half the people I worked with (who did poor work) and not as good as some - so I consider myself average - but I try to do my best and leave the code better than I found it (which was difficult with the codebase I worked on - it was very fragile).

When I lived in Albany and was car-free for a while, I took to riding in bike lanes against traffic, because I'm deaf and didn't have rear view mirrors mounted to anything.. , those helmet rearview mirrors are tiny (not really good field of view), and the handlebar ones are stupidly placed where I couldn't keep my eyes forward or swivel without looking down to the sides.

In fact, once when I was crossing a driveway, my bike got hit in the back with the one of the orange Plano boxes shattering from the impact, by a careless driver speeding up out of the parking lot at my apartment complex :s0001:

The impact was hard enough to bend the rear cargo rack and the rear stays on the frame.

The driver claimed that the sun was in her eyes but that's still no excuse to be going 15mph+ out of the parking lot into the cul-de-sac.

Edit, I stopped riding on the left side when a local cop stopped me and told me to stay on the right side even if it meant risking being sideswiped by jerks in vehicles
at least you don't ride on the sidewalk, ,,,,thank you. i always keep a sharp eye for bikes and give them a wide berth,,,,, but they can sneak up on you sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top