JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I don't feel right until I have backups for everything. So, at least 2 of each caliber is my plan. And for carry purposes, I've got tiny, small, medium, large. For competition purposes I've got a gun for every game and division that interests me. And how could someone possibly have only a single 22?

But some of this doubling and tripling is because of my large amount of ammo. If you're someone who only keeps a few boxes around, there's no "need" for more than one.
my ruel of thumb is a minimum of 5k rounds for each caliber. I dont know if that is a little or a lot to other people such as your self. But ammo lasts so Ill be happy with a pallet of each.

I always need more. And I don't ever see myself being "done" buying. Ever.

But there's no answer that convinces you to see a need you don't yet see. You have chosen all of the right calibers, in my opinion (12ga, 308, 556, 22, 9mm), but now just need to fill in the holes, a la Little Red Riding Hood. Get a couple more 9's, a 22 pistol, a 22 bolt gun, another AR, etc.

But types of guns has nothng to do with if you leave your house they will be stolen. I am a bit confused (I probibly missed the point) so I hope there is a followup

all I was doing there was justification for having more than one gun, if one is stolen then you have another. Yeah, the example I sited was over simplified, I suppose don't keep all your eggs in one basket would be fitting.

my ruel of thumb is a minimum of 5k rounds for each calibre. i dont know if that is a little or a lot to other people such as your self. But ammo lasts so Ill be happy with a pallet of each.

That will be a lot to some, and too little to others.

It only matters to you, and what you like to do, or what your concerns might be.

I'd also suggest a .22lr pistol (or 2) be added to your list, because they are fun & inexpensive to practice with. Haven't been to a range in while? Start with your .22 to settle yourself.

Or look at it another way. I fill out my armory based on my ammo. As I've gotten my pile of 22 ammo from 1000 to 10000, I've added 22 guns. If I only had 1000 rounds of 556, I'd only bother with one AR. Thousands of 9mm require more one pistol.

At least is how I see the "need" for more guns. A new gun isn't really needed unless you have the ammo to feed it.

Personal suggestion: 2 of each Serious Use type, with a subcaliber "trainer" counterpart for each (like .410 shotgun as a 12ga "understudy," .22LR AR for 5.56)--the important thing is the trainer have similar weight, controls, sighting etc. to its "line of duty" counterpart. (For the AR a .22 upper built up similar to the main is OK, but I suggest easy-pull takedown pins on ARs that see regular upper-swaps.)

it might depend on why you have what you do in the first place, but typically in times of unrest or disaster guns are the first things to suddenly go missing. I agree with you there is no need to own multiple calibers, I would at least get another XDM in the same caliber and probably model so you can stock up on the same mags and holsters.

That is exactly what I did 4 years ago & I have no regrets. 2 XDM40'S.... throw me a mag honey & happy happy joy joy it fits.....
:D:D:D:D:cool:

Last Edited:
Personal suggestion: 2 of each Serious Use type, with a subcaliber "trainer" counterpart for each (like .410 shotgun as a 12ga "understudy," .22LR AR for 5.56)--the important thing is the trainer have similar weight, controls, sighting etc. to its "line of duty" counterpart. (For the AR a .22 upper built up similar to the main is OK, but I suggest easy-pull takedown pins on ARs that see regular upper-swaps.)
I like to train with what I use, Kickback and all. Getting a lower caliber would almost double the types of ammo I would need to purchas (not a smart $$$ idea as I also race cars lol)

I don't know why I need any more than I have.

Need?? NEED???? NEED???

Sir, from where do you get this "need" thing?? "Need" is the argument of tyrants (great and petty), nagging wives and spoiled children.

Let free men bearing arms never speak of "need" in the company of others! America is still a free country where every free man may determine his own "needs" which no other free man may gainsay.

There is no true remedy for your itch but to scratch it.

You can always sell it if it's not to your liking.

Need. Pfagh!

Besides, I own stock in gun companies. :D

Now this makes sense! Thank you! But why a Bolt action 22? Is this just for simplisity purposes?
Bolt action 22 is a great gun for a few reasons:

-More accurate than most semi-autos
-Quieter when suppressed
-Eats ammo slower since requires more work
-Great host for a scope

Since you already have the fun 10/22, a bolt is a good next step in the 22 direction. I have a Ruger American Rimfire (uses 10/22 mags!) and bought one the moment they were introduced. Love it!

Years ago in the Katrina aftermath I read a good article about one guys story protecting his home, he refused to evac. At every corner someone wants to steal your gun, or confiscate it if you run into the nat. guard or other "authority". If you have to leave your house for supplies, don't expect your guns to be there when you return.

I think it was an excerpt from the book The Great New Orleans Gun Grab, I never read that though I bet its a good read. New Orleans Gun Grab - Descent Into Anarchy

I would venture to say to add ammo to your list.

I always say that you can't carry them all if ya need to split, therfore strategic planning needs thourough thought . I consolidated just for this same reason. Place them (bury or hide them) in plain sight. A cashe buried in the shrubs or some other place with easy access is my tactic. Be ready for anything at anytime....

So... I'm a bad example, but what I recently lost in a boating accident was something like:
4 9mm pistols (carry guns and home guns for wife and I)
.40 pistol (Bastard child)
A 12 gauge (no exp. needed)
2 5.56 Ar carbines (additional home defense)
1 5.56 ar pistol (just because)
And 1 .308 bolt action rifle (long distance usage)
What I was going to add was a marlin or Henry lever gun, but now I have to start over.

I also have a very distributed house, so I might neeed more tactically stashed for defense.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top