JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That could be Medic.
Lots of old junk out there among those diamonds in the rough.
That is one of the reasons Dave and I share our collection.
Not to forget to mention hang out on here! :D
Andy

Pretty sure you need one of each of these. More, if you have kids or grandkids.

IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG

'Murica.

Inexperienced gun buyers probably don't feel comfortable doing this. And so they aren't inclined to consider these guns. o_O
That or they think you can only shoot well with new guns. Or they think old rifles aren't viable and some of those who do buy them think they need to be modernized to be viable. Breaks my heart every time to see a perfectly good mauser or SKS get butchered like that. :(

Agreed!
I can't count the number of times I've been told : "But its old , I didn't think it could still shoot" etc ...
Sometimes some peoples idea of old is also a issue.
I've had folks comment on my "old" 870 ( from 1960 )
Andy

Lot's of cool guns are simply overlooked. And I blame us.

So many humped up WWII and other collectible guns.
Sellers sell stories. And guns that are down right lies.

You can loose your but dipping into these deep waters not properly indoctrinated.
Or You can also enjoy a fair profit. If you can swim. ;)

Without knowledge. A smart man will stay away.
And a proud man will claim ''Sourer Grapes'' and avoid old guns all together.

Maybe even talk them down a bit. :rolleyes:

One of my "things" for looking at new guns is, do i have it (the action) already? Now it almost goes against what a lot here are saying (duplicates of stuff) BUT;

For example, the following is a nice list of things, and i've used the reasons many times :)

Revolver - you can go blued and stainless :)
Semi pistol - full size, compact etc.
Rifle - Semi auto, bolt, lever :)
Shorgun - Pump, double, semi :)
Rifle semi - magazine loaded Vs clip loaded (M1 Garand)
Cuing off that last one, something historical? Vintage bolt (m1903) vintage semi (Garand)
Specific revolver, classic? let's go with the Dirty Harry, model 29, 6.5inch barrel, blue, .44 mag, only because iconic, otherwise it's a calibre i wouldn't want to add.

The list goes on ;)

Honestly I'm of the mind that one should also get a few older rifles, such as the ones used in WWII or other important time period. It really helps put appreciation in the newer designs.

Yeah, newest thing i've picked up in the last two years for myself is a 1985 Smith. Previously, i started going all WW2 on everything :)

WW2? 'Older'? :) x 100

WoNA or Wo1812 is older, WoI is older. We still have many folk alive today who fought in WW2...

tac
My point exactly. See my comments in post # 124 , When folks call my 870 from 1960 "Old" :D
I usually point out some of my old guns , those with a date of the 1780's , 18 teens and 20's etc ... :)
Andy

WW2? 'Older'? :) x 100

WoNA or Wo1812 is older, WoI is older. We still have many folk alive today who fought in WW2...

tac
Its all subjective. Older is older. Being from the 90s, WWII certainly fits the older bill for me.

That aside, WWII is just a start getting into older guns IMO, and some of the guns from then will be cheaper than some other guns (an example is one I want, and that is the Fayetteville rifle).

Today I was shooting a 1903 Savage Model 99, an 1893 and '94 Winchester and an 1884 Spandau-built Mauser.

THEM's old! :D

Heck, even my 1957-date BSA would be archaic, nay, positively paleolithic, by the standards of some of the worthy posters hereabout.

tac

Yeah, newest thing i've picked up in the last two years for myself is a 1985 Smith. Previously, i started going all WW2 on everything :)

The little .30 Carbine is a sweet rifle! Get yourself over this way to the Oregon Arms Collector show. A lot of (old) stuff. Gun Shows

First ten rounds shot with my 1898 m/96 and FNM factory ammunition...

upload_2017-1-8_22-35-57.png

Open sights @100m with the issue sling.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stand in front of that 'old' rifle' ...

tac

Today I was shooting a 1903 Savage Model 99, an 1893 and '94 Winchester and an 1884 Spandau-built Mauser.

THEM's old! :D
New compared to the Fayetteville rifle, which was a rifled musket made by the confederates down here in North Carolina. Was built using captured machinery that was used to make the Springfield Model 1855 rifle. I think I'm going too far off topic though.

I keep asking myself the same question. Why would I need (not want; need) any more guns?
I already have nine and shoot all of them, but every time I wander into my local gun shop, I seem to find myself looking at something else. I'm completely happy with all of my guns. There isn't a dud in the bunch, but I seem to want more. At the moment I'm looking at adding another AK to the mix. I have a Jones for an Arsenal SAM7SF. Been getting a yen at add a single action revolver (don't have one of those). Maybe another 12 ga. Hell, I'm always going to need more guns.

I think it's just a matter of acquiring one of each possible configuration of your favorite platform(s)...

For example, if 1911's are your platform, you need one in each possible caliber, then each caliber in each possible configuration (i.e. 5", 4.25" & 3.5"). then each of those in several different setups, one with high rise beaver tail, high rise beaver tail and flat mainspring housing, and so on...

You get the idea, it soon becomes uncontrollable... George, do you really need another gun??? Yes dear, this one is for bullseye shooting, weak hand, on the third Thursday of odd numbered months using my non-dominant eye...:eek:

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads