JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well then yah sure. We'd head to the store. Chocolate (any & all), coffee (lots), peanut butter, lentils, beans, flour, cornmeal, oats, sugar, salt, tinfoil, wax paper, ziplocks, etc - the usual LTS stuff. Do not need any, but why not eh?

20lb propane tanks perhaps. Again don't need any more, but similar...why not?

We have off main roads to get to big box stores, and would use appropriate judgement. I'd find it highly unlikely that local LEO would put up road blocks day 1, without any reasoning behind doing so.

90+% of folks would not know of a "martial law" in that type of scenario—-the normal way they communicate are offline. So most folk would be out and about. The ones who know would be stocking up as well. It would not be "New England snow storm pandamonium" at the stores in the early hours of this, because folk wouldn't know.

If they did, then it's an easy roundabout back. Worse case leave the SUV if stopped on the way home and walk. Trucks there.

The store? The phone lines are down so no credit card works, no employees in the store so if you are looting for what you should have allready then odds are you will be shot as a looters and your home left undefended if they just arrest you.
As for roadblocks you won't know if they are there until you find one and at that point since you are disobeying the law you may be arrested as a looters or shot when they see you armed.

Hopefully you are seeing I am not arguement but just discussing:)

Last Edited:
The store? The phone lines are down so no credit card works, no employees in the store so if you are looting for what you should have allready then odds are you will be shot as a looters and your home left undefeated if they just arrest you.
As for roadblocks you won't know if they are there until you find one and at that point since you are disobeying the law you may be arrested as a looters or shot when they see you armed.

Hopefully you are seeing I am not arguement but just discussing:)

Oh ya, no do realize no credit cards. We do cash.

No employees? Why not. This thing just started, and due to the comms cut off, no one knows about it, nor about the martial law.

Absolutely no looting. Don't abide by that one bit.*

Also note that shopping isn't required for us. Just saying, that if this thing just started, folks would still be out on the normal day to day. Life wouldn't just "stop". Storm troopers wouldn't just magically appear.

Also am not arguing, but mind you, am being realistic.

*Do abide to scavenging after a massive population loss type event, and provided WROL situation, and not taking directly from an individual. We're not there in this scenario.

Respectfully ...

I just do not see how a coup would work nowadays. A Political takeover? Not likely. Too many different important big things would have to come together time on target for a Political coup to occur.

Now a national natural or world wide disaster? Yeah, I can see that happening. But all of this is very low probability of happening and even lower probability of lasting or sticking. Just me here. :(

I can make a case that it could happen but the thread would be pulled when folks talk politics. I would hope even if it's just a mind game that folks would think it out and tell us what they think.

Oh ya, no do realize no credit cards. We do cash.

No employees? Why not. This thing just started, and due to the comms cut off, no one knows about it, nor about the martial law.

Absolutely no looting. Don't abide by that one bit.*

Also note that shopping isn't required for us. Just saying, that if this thing just started, folks would still be out on the normal day to day. Life wouldn't just "stop". Storm troopers wouldn't just magically appear.

Also am not arguing, but mind you, am being realistic.

*Do abide to scavenging after a massive population loss type event, and provided WROL situation, and not taking directly from an individual. We're not there in this scenario.

Pleasant conversation, thank you. This being the first day and you don' know if there are people out there do you risk it? Blend this with say the communist revolution in Russia or China, those people didn't know what was happening at all. Not saying this is a revolution, just saying you don't know what' happening other than Martial law declared and you are ordered to stay in your homes. At this point you don't know what the real threat is or how big it is.

From my point of view, the biggest need is for information. Supply wise, we'd be fine for a week or two, but uncertainty will inevitably lead to poor decisions. It's hard to envision a coup in which radio silence (and internet and tv) can be maintained beyond a few hours.

Also, how is martial law to be enforced on a nationwide basis, especially with no information? The immediate "ground forces" for enforcement are police, and they'll certainly want to know what's up. If they know why, they will in turn have to inform the public at some point or risk widespread lawlessness. If they don't know why, they will eventually ignore their orders.

Information is vital in order to develop a game plan.

I'd like to know how this scenario will suppress such information. I don't get how all communications can be stopped so quickly and comprehensively.

The store? The phone lines are down so no credit card works...

As for roadblocks you won't know...

Correct!

Proper and thorough utilization of the military version of: "Estimate Of The Situation" now can save lives in the future.

Nothing stopping law-abiding people from conducting simulated war games, mounted & dismounted foot patrols, other HUMINT gathering missions, and communication exercises now; other than plain ole ignorance or apathy :oops:

Planning, gathering Intel, and the practice of anything will be much-more difficult after the "axe" falls..

Locate or identify the following aspects of the future battle space now while the rule of law provides a safer "umbrella".

Danger areas; best, good, and bad places for ambushes, roadblocks, or checkpoints.

Avenues of approach: Go, Slow-Go, & No-Go.

Targets; where would gangs likely raid in order to increase their combat power or influence....? Ammo dumps, media outlets, & hospitals, utility centers...

Obstacles; water, the Cascades, barriers.

Observation & Fields of Fire; what are the Target Reference Points (TRPs) in your A/O?

Question: have barbed wire, metal "T" posts, and other barrier material for your area yet, or will you drive down to Lowe's on day three of disaster?

Ah pift, what in the heck does an old soldier know...? :confused:

Correct!

Proper and thorough utilization of the military version of: "Estimate Of The Situation" now can save lives in the future.

Nothing stopping law-abiding people from conducting simulated war games, mounted & dismounted foot patrols, other HUMINT gathering missions, and communication exercises now; other than plain ole ignorance or apathy :oops:

Planning, gathering Intel, and the practice of anything will be much-more difficult after the "axe" falls..

Locate or identify the following aspects of the future battle space now while the rule of law provides a safer "umbrella".

Danger areas; best, good, and bad places for ambushes, roadblocks, or checkpoints.

Avenues of approach: Go, Slow-Go, & No-Go.

Targets; where would gangs likely raid in order to increase their combat power or influence....? Ammo dumps, media outlets, & hospitals, utility centers...

Obstacles; water, the Cascades, barriers.

Observation & Fields of Fire; what are the Target Reference Points (TRPs) in your A/O?

Question: have barbed wire, metal "T" posts, and other barrier material for your area yet, or will you drive down to Lowe's on day three of disaster?

Ah pift, what in the heck does an old soldier know...? :confused:

Your welcome at my house if you get stuck in the area! Totally agree with your statement. Here in lies the problem with every day people in a rural or non rural setting.

Most are to stupid to realize what your saying and would need there hand held. Trust becomes a huge factor as I have stated before. You, me and or all of us better be aware of those around you now so you know how to handle said situation when it arrives. I try to think about things like this as part of situational awarness, but not always easy.

Pleasant conversation, thank you. This being the first day and you don' know if there are people out there do you risk it? Blend this with say the communist revolution in Russia or China, those people didn't know what was happening at all. Not saying this is a revolution, just saying you don't know what' happening other than Martial law declared and you are ordered to stay in your homes. At this point you don't know what the real threat is or how big it is.

Was working Beantown during the city shutdown searching for the bombers. Went home fine. Had all 4 windows down and rolled slow, wearing scrubs with ID. Never challenged, no road blocks, but BPD in line of sight of each other the entire way. EERIE!

Conversationally, that entailed 100% media outlet informatics plus cruisers with loudspeakers going thru neighborhoods. So everyone new about it.

Again not knocking the scenario, intersted actually, it's just that as currently presented most folk would have no idea about it...yet. Still early on in day 1. Dun dun dun.

From my point of view, the biggest need is for information. Supply wise, we'd be fine for a week or two, but uncertainty will inevitably lead to poor decisions. It's hard to envision a coup in which radio silence (and internet and tv) can be maintained beyond a few hours.

Also, how is martial law to be enforced on a nationwide basis, especially with no information? The immediate "ground forces" for enforcement are police, and they'll certainly want to know what's up. If they know why, they will in turn have to inform the public at some point or risk widespread lawlessness. If they don't know why, they will eventually ignore their orders.

Information is vital in order to develop a game plan.

I'd like to know how this scenario will suppress such information. I don't get how all communications can be stopped so quickly and comprehensively.

So if I start telling you how then we move past the first day but just to make you enjoy thinking about it how about some of the science thats been posted where they don' need your local cops to control you. Not saying those little mini drones have been deployed and not saying biological warfare is taking place and if you go outdoors you die. Just saying this is the first day and you know nothing and cant' find out whats going on.

Most of the threads I have read have simply problems that really don't take much thinking or reading to solve. I hope this is entertaining with an exercise of the mind as I bring up what's next. Guys will wonder how their decisions play out and I am having fun in my retirement.:D

Was working Beantown during the city shutdown searching for the bombers. Went home fine. Had all 4 windows down and rolled slow, wearing scrubs with ID. Never challenged, no road blocks, but BPD in line of sight of each other the entire way. EERIE!

Conversationally, that entailed 100% media outlet informatics plus cruisers with loudspeakers going thru neighborhoods. So everyone new about it.

Again not knocking the scenario, intersted actually, it's just that as currently presented most folk would have no idea about it...yet. Still early on in day 1. Dun dun dun.

I can see why my scenario doesn't work for people because I pin them with what they don't know and cant find out. That's the way I build it so guys can see how their choices play out. In a normal scenaro something goes boom and they grab their bobs and bug out. This one you don't know what's happening but you can use some deductive reasoning that the government is playing a big part in it. With phones down and communication service interrupted but power up it ain't an EMP.

Plus what better way to limit who would be involved in a fight than to order people to their homes? Some things will be hard to deal with here as its going to be hard choices like do you get out of the house or not. As the thread goes on I am going to add more hard choices if there is enough intrest to work hard on this.:)

Actually I thought it up over the news of the day, there is a lot going on and you could wake up tomorrow with the Republic gone. I am 65 and never seen the things that are going on in my lifetime. When the FBI and DOJ can use a phoney document in an effort to throw out an elected president, when a special counsel is called with out a crime to be focused on then you have lost the republic.

So that's where I started the thread and for it to be entertaining you guys have to think it can happen...even when it is.:D
I ponder this all the time. What I believe is that the things that we see aren't necessarily new or different from days gone past, but we just see more of it in it's entirety because of the advent of the internet and modern communication. Corruption has always been part of society. Go back as far as you want and it is there.

I'm Staying home.

omega man.JPG
Unless I need to use the Grocery getter to make a beer run or hit up The SNACK BARR.......
161020_001.jpg

I ponder this all the time. What I believe is that the things that we see aren't necessarily new or different from days gone past, but we just see more of it in it's entirety because of the advent of the internet and modern communication. Corruption has always been part of society. Go back as far as you want and it is there.

Today folks are hooked to their phones, they can't live without them. The culture can be controlled by this addiction and we have been very close to the end of our democracy for a while now. However this thread I hope goes over well because I will touch on events to really rattle some cages. Events you can't answer with a gun.:)

All I know is Martial Law involves the suspending of civil liberties.
Whatever the reason given for it's declaration...from alien invasion to nuclear attack... the government will have the right to do what it wants, when it wants, and to do it to anyone they want to do it to.
So, If I should wake up to martial law and there's no known reason for it...I'll consider martial law itself to be my first and most immediate threat.
Depending on where you live and the tendencies of your local politicians, lawmen and bureau rats, you can bet they'll be going for your legal weapons before they go after illegal drugs and gangs.
So I hope you have plans to quickly stash outside of your home to keep what you got when they come knockin'.

(Might be good to have something for them to find though...I KNEW there was a use for a Highpoint)

Just me, but if shtf right now, after listening to tuesday nights state of the union address, I'd say Trump would say to the country "if you want to be safe, hook up with your 2A neighbors. They are your safest ally until order is restored".
As far as cops go, what deputy, pd officer or state trooper is going to go door to door trying to confiscate guns from the very soles that may be their only back-up?
If shtf, I would hope that my county sherriff would be asking "law abiding gun owners, I need your help".

Just me, but if shtf right now, after listening to tuesday nights state of the union address, I'd say Trump would say to the country "if you want to be safe, hook up with your 2A neighbors. They are your safest ally until order is restored".
As far as cops go, what deputy, pd officer or state trooper is going to go door to door trying to confiscate guns from the very soles that may be their only back-up?
If shtf, I would hope that my county sherriff would be asking "law abiding gun owners, I need your help".

Seems to me like looking back on the past can be very informative for judging the future--Remember Katrina:eek:

All I know is Martial Law involves the suspending of civil liberties.
Whatever the reason given for it's declaration...from alien invasion to nuclear attack... the government will have the right to do what it wants, when it wants, and to do it to anyone they want to do it to.
So, If I should wake up to martial law and there's no known reason for it...I'll consider martial law itself to be my first and most immediate threat.
Depending on where you live and the tendencies of your local politicians, lawmen and bureau rats, you can bet they'll be going for your legal weapons before they go after illegal drugs and gangs.
So I hope you have plans to quickly stash outside of your home to keep what you got when they come knockin'.

(Might be good to have something for them to find though...I KNEW there was a use for a Highpoint)
___________________________________________________________________________________

Brother

Human/Civil rights are from our creator and put on paper in the constitution
It is as close to the real word of god has ever been put to paper..
Inked in blood by men of steel...

God's wish for the freedom of men can never be suspended by a dictator's piece of paper.

Last Edited:
So your minds wander as to just why you have spent this first day under these conditions. What will tomorrow bring and how well will you sleep tonight? If you were going to stay awake is there enouh energy drink in the larder or are you going to try to get good rest for you know not what tomorrow brings?. Is yours the kind of personality that sleeps well under stress? What will the weather be tomorrow, even that you dont' know now.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads