JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am the old story teller as we sit around a camp fire on a hunting trip. Full of ghost stories and jokes along with just plain lies to get you going. It's my fun.:D

Edited to add, it might take a drink or two to get things a going though , blood curdling stories but my throat is so dry.:D

Last Edited:
It's day two. You woke up this morning after a fitful sleep and the house is cold, all the power is off. Rooms are dark so you put on your headlamp you put batteries in yesterday and head to pee. Flush the toilet and it doesn't refill because the water pressure is gone. You go to the kitchen to get that needed cup of coffee and check the gas on the burner and there is some pressure but the electric striker doesn't work. You light it with a match and put some coffee that you made yesterday on the heat. Thankfully you were smart enough to fill your thermo ses on day one.

So today you are split into city dwellers and country folks.

City folk you get your coffee in hand and try to get a hold of the day as your head clears. You check your battery radio for news and not even the warning is on, nothing but static. You look at your battery powered weather station and the weather isn't too cold at 48 degrees do you build a fire or not? You hear some motor vehicle traffic in the neighborhood and a knock at the door comes. You look out the window and it's your neighbor closest to you. You speak to him from the window and he says he needs help, his wife never made it home frome the trip and his kids have the flu. His house is cold and dark and he wants to borrow some candles for his kids or a flashlight. So the day begins.

Country folks you have no power but you build up the fire in your wood stove to get the heat going and set your coffee in the pot on it. As you get your eyes open there is a knock at the door and you go to the window where you see a man in his late 20s, maybe ex military with shorter hair with a days growth of beard. Dressed clean with longer coat that may conceal a hand gun. You talk to him from the window and he apologized for bothering you but he is stuck down in your driveway out of gas. He would not have been there but traffic pushed him there when he run out and he wants to borrow gas to get to town. He says he has two kids sick with the flu and his wife waiting in the cold car and would you help.

Thank god for coffee.:) the day folks is going to be full of events

I've helped people who came to my door in the past, without question. But in the scenario you're presenting, I'd be more cautious. Probably hold the stranger at gunpoint while he and I decide how to proceed.

Edited to add: If he's wearing a NWFA tee shirt, I'll probably be more inclined to hear him out.

Last Edited:
I'm so old and sick that fighting, scrounging, scouting, etc would be out of the question! Best I can think of is put me on an approach with the big M-1A.

Oh yeah, don't forget to bring my lunch! :D

City: I know my closest, next to closest, and next to next to closest neighbors. I talked to them all yesterday when this started, so no problem. I give him what he needs and tell him my wife will check on his missus soon to see how she's doing. We agree to get the other neighbors together and dig a latrine in the vacant lot across the street so we have somewhere to dump our porta-potties.

Country: I don't know him (looks like he is capable to split wood and I need someone for heavy work) so I tell him to go get his wife and kids (to see if they exist, and come back without the long jacket on. While he's gone I'll put a gallon milk jug of gas out side out of sight. If he returns with the family I'll tell him where the gas is, his reaction will affect his future treatment... at the very least it'll get them 20 miles away.

Last Edited:
27331933_1520304168023893_6212010369811784268_n.jpg

Country folks you have no power but you build up the fire in your wood stove to get the heat going and set your coffee in the pot on it. As you get your eyes open there is a knock at the door and you go to the window where you see a man in his late 20s, maybe ex military with shorter hair with a days growth of beard. Dressed clean with longer coat that may conceal a hand gun. You talk to him from the window and he apologized for bothering you but he is stuck down in your driveway out of gas. He would not have been there but traffic pushed him there when he run out and he wants to borrow gas to get to town. He says he has two kids sick with the flu and his wife waiting in the cold car and would you help.
BZZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer!

I'm the second to last house on our rough gravel mile-long road with only one access point, so there's only one rational response I can make.

"Mister," I say in my best Eastwood voice, "this here is a 1911 semi-automatic pistol made by Colt. Hear that click? That's the safety being removed on a loaded and chambered round of coated 230 grain lead hollow point that is currently pointed at your nose. Do me a favor, Mister, and slowly raise your hands. That's it. Now turn around and stand there quiet and calm-like while I give you a little history…

"Now this pistol, Mister – are you still listening? – was originally developed by John Moses Browning as the solution to the problem posed by the Moro guerrilla fighters in the Philippines over 100 years ago. You see, the Moro's enjoyed their pharmaceuticals, particularly those that gave them enhanced courage and rendered them somewhat immune to the pain incurred by a smaller caliber .38 fired by our soldiers' venerable revolvers. So at the request of the U.S. Army, Browning developed the 1911 pistol in .45 caliber. That caliber is nearly half an inch wide, Mister. It's a pistol design that's stood the test of time, and earned its deadly reputation as a first-rate gun in nearly every war the United States has fought in the last 100 years. And with the further development and production of jacketed hollow-points, this little .45 ACP round can blossom to nearly the size of a quarter while passing through your cranium.

"That's right! Perhaps now you can see the bad choice you made walking up to this secluded domicile and cranking out that sad bit of fiction.

"I'll be honest here, I'm inclined to let you be on your way with a promise never to return. But I suspect, like a bad penny or sexually transmitted disease, you'll be back, and with reinforcements. It's morning, however, and my two hundred plus pound dogs have yet to be fed – yep, that's them you've been hearing going completely insane during this little discourse – so your arrival is fortuitous for us, though maybe not so much for you.

"Just so you know, when that round passes through the back of your noggin and expands to nearly a quarter size, I expect it will blow out the front of your face and take an eyeball or two with it. But don't worry, you won't care much at that point. Though I expect there will be a mess.

"That's why I have dogs.

"I suspect, however, there are parts of you even the dogs won't enjoy, but if you care to look around, you'll see we're pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. And I've got a good supply of shovels and nothing better to do, what with the power out and all.

"What about the gun-shot, you say? Well, it's hardly a day goes by out here without the sound of freedom ringing in these hills and valleys. We do love our guns.

"So that's about all I got to say. Hope you said your prayers to whatever god you got, cause this is the one that's gonna kill ya...

"Hey! Where you running off to? Come back! What the… My dogs need the meat!!!"

I stand watching him sprint madly away. A minute later I turn and let the dogs out. I sit on the porch steps and they gather around me, licking my ears and wagging their tails.

"Give him some credit, Boys, he lasted longer than most. I do love entertaining visitors."

Last Edited:
Kinda like my previous post. Think I'll expand that into a short story.

Turns out in the city that someone gave your neighbor some candles and his sick kids had them in their room for light and a little warmth. As they slept one of them knocked over the candle and started a fire. Dad was out looking for help and the fire quickly set the entire home on fire killing the kids. No firetruck comming and the house is right next to yours, no water pressure so you have about twenty minutes to get all you can out of your house before it's too late.

People are in their rigs driving by, every time you run in the house you don't know if your stuff will be there when you come out. How do you handle this?:)

Last Edited:
Country folks, it seems the many of the city folks decided to head out, maybe thousands of them. All kinds of people in their cars driving to escape the city. Roads are getting jamed near you but traffic is moving. The main roads are full so people picked less used roads and your road is filling up. A great thunder goes off high in the sky like you have never heard before and all the cars shut down and roll to a stop. Thousands of people on the roads that now have to walk. They are in your area.

What's next, look outside its' getting dark and you have a great number of people that most are armed in their run for safety. What next?

Kinda like my previous post. Think I'll expand that into a short story.

You are doing good work, I hope you guys are enjoying my mind bender here. Not many posters so I guess not many enjoy this kind of scenario so I guess I need to ramp it up where they get to use their gear some.:)

enjoy this kind of scenario

while entertaining & somewhat helpful in thinking outside a different box, the exercise demonstrates well the near limitless variations to any basic SHTF scenario.

Many locations would be simply indefensible without some kind of firefight, which in itself makes considerable changes in the SHTF version of the hour. Whatever solution we might come up with can be overwhelmed by very little alteration of facts at the drop of a keyboard. It rings too close to the various D&D etc games my kids played. I have no answer to endless 'What ifs'_________.

One little personal story from a trip into the Jowls of Hell (PDX) a few year back: My usual route into SW via 217/Washington Square for a bit of necessary business, then towards Milwaukee and a necessary river crossing. Two different major road repair projects & associated delay meant alter my route to something I knew would serve fine, as my old familiarity with the area still serves well for 'normal routes'.

What the....route to Ross Island also blocked by heavy construction delays....ok, onward to the next south which left my GPS in near melt down due to 'new bridge construction' changes.

OK, finally across and into Milwaukee, south one more....wait, I can't access the last bridge to Oregon City due to a crashed truck wedging down to one lane?.....<sweat building as mid-afternoon traffic increases>.....make the shuffle across Gladstone to 205 & I'm headed SOUTH.....bunch of zig-zag broken field running, can see the freeway entrance...wait....SEWER PIPE trench blocking????

By this time I abandoned my missions & was in GTHO mode.
So I found route south. Barely before the Peloton wadded up all escape.

Enough What If for me that day.

Well If we're going to keep adding stuff....

City: I get together with my other neighbors and use my solar powered pool pump and put the fire out before it really gets started. Down side is the guy next door no longer has kids with the flu, Up side is they were 32 year-old drug addicted felons from his first marriage and he was afraid to kick them out...problem solved!

Country: I've wrapped myself in bloody bandages and stood out by the road beside my "Leprosy Palliative Care Home" and "Caution - don't pick up hitchhikers near here" signs...oddly, nobody seems to want to take me up on my generous offers of a friendly bed... they aren't even parking their cars within eyesight!:eek:

Every now and then people walking out of the fields and woods have set off the automated rifles and mines...
...I catch myself hoping that the noise won't keep us up at night, then I remember my noise cancelling headphones (pays to buy quality;)).

What if everything one prepared for was not applicable to the red-pill event that actually occurs

Ya I have been writing a different view to entertain folks. I have read many appoclolypse books and I am putting a twist in this thread. I may not keep it going because there seems to be so little intrest. Tomorrow I will determine if it's worth the work.

BZZZZZT!!!! Wrong answer!

I'm the second to last house on our rough gravel mile-long road with only one access point, so there's only one rational response I can make.

"Mister," I say in my best Eastwood voice, "this here is a 1911 semi-automatic pistol made by Colt. Hear that click? That's the safety being removed on a loaded and chambered round of coated 230 grain lead hollow point that is currently pointed at your nose. Do me a favor, Mister, and slowly raise your hands. That's it. Now turn around and stand there quiet and calm-like while I give you a little history…

"Now this pistol, Mister – are you still listening? – was originally developed by John Moses Browning as the solution to the problem posed by the Moro guerrilla fighters in the Philippines over 100 years ago. You see, the Moro's enjoyed their pharmaceuticals, particularly those that gave them enhanced courage and rendered them somewhat immune to the pain incurred by a smaller caliber .38 fired by our soldiers' venerable revolvers. So at the request of the U.S. Army, Browning developed the 1911 pistol in .45 caliber. That caliber is nearly half an inch wide, Mister. It's a pistol design that's stood the test of time, and earned its deadly reputation as a first-rate gun in nearly every war the United States has fought in the last 100 years. And with the further development and production of jacketed hollow-points, this little .45 ACP round can blossom to nearly the size of a quarter while passing through your cranium.

"That's right! Perhaps now you can see the bad choice you made walking up to this secluded domicile and cranking out that sad bit of fiction.

"I'll be honest here, I'm inclined to let you be on your way with a promise never to return. But I suspect, like a bad penny or sexually transmitted disease, you'll be back, and with reinforcements. It's morning, however, and my two hundred plus pound dogs have yet to be fed – yep, that's them you've been hearing going completely insane during this little discourse – so your arrival is fortuitous for us, though maybe not so much for you.

"Just so you know, when that round passes through the back of your noggin and expands to nearly a quarter size, I expect it will blow out the front of your face and take an eyeball or two with it. But don't worry, you won't care much at that point. Though I expect there will be a mess.

"That's why I have dogs.

"I suspect, however, there are parts of you even the dogs won't enjoy, but if you care to look around, you'll see we're pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. And I've got a good supply of shovels and nothing better to do, what with the power out and all.
Find yourself a publisher friend:cool:

"What about the gun-shot, you say? Well, it's hardly a day goes by out here without the sound of freedom ringing in these hills and valleys. We do love our guns.

"So that's about all I got to say. Hope you said your prayers to whatever god you got, cause this is the one that's gonna kill ya...

"Hey! Where you running off to? Come back! What the… My dogs need the meat!!!"

I stand watching him sprint madly away. A minute later I turn and let the dogs out. I sit on the porch steps and they gather around me, licking my ears and wagging their tails.

"Give him some credit, Boys, he lasted longer than most. I do love entertaining visitors."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top