JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I literally have a waitlist of liberals wanting me to build, remodel, or weld for them. I had to start turning them away! I work a desk job, but know more than most of the older "educated" people I work with, haha.
This has been the way for a good while now. So many young people take out HUGE student loan debt to get an education that is not worth the debt. Meanwhile if they had learned a trade they could do so for pennies on the dollar what they paid for and end up with a trade that would make them VERY much in demand and make a damn good living. Such a waste.

You'd be surprised, some of the most skilled carpenters and builders I've met were more highly educated/had science degrees. Attention to detail and a desire to implement modern building technologies versus Joe Schmoe that's "been doing it that way for 30 years" who refuses to learn from others merely due to their younger age. On the flipside, I've met tech nerds that have never left shelter willingly and wouldn't know which end of a hammer to hold and tradesmen that have the nicest PC gaming setups I've ever seen.

Point being, people will often surprise you. Give them a chance.
"Smart" people know to never stop learning.

Add to the list:
Delivering a baby.
Hunt deer with the rifle or some other gun and be able to get them reliably, not just sighting in a rifle.
How to get fish using traditional low-labor methods-- trapping, netting, and using trot lines.
Gardening including staple storeable crops, not just salads. In maritime Oregon and Washington this means corn (flint, flour, and dent), dry beans, winter squash, potatoes, fruit, dried fruit, and nuts, especially hazelnuts. If corn is your main grain staple you need to have seeds of the right kinds of corn and milling equipment and know the difference between flint, flour and dent corn and when to use what. And know how to turn your corn meal or flour into tasty polenta, jonnycakes, real cakes and cornbread. And how to supply garden fertility when you can't just go buy fertilizer.
How to keep ducks or chickens for eggs and meat.
Comfort the dying.

How to get fish using traditional low-labor methods-- trapping, netting, and using trot lines, find the guy that's been there all morning with a full stringer in the water and push him in the river.
FIFY 👍
1699269685473.png

I worked with a lady and her husband could not change a car battery ! The husband's solution was to put a new battery in the trunk and she would have to get it out and jump her car . I took care of the situation took about 10 minutes of my lunchtime and not so much as a "Thank You". There is no shortage of people that are ate up with a case of the dumb a55 !You can only do your best not to be one and if you see a deserving person in need of help lend a hand .

I've done most of the things on the list other than set a broken bone, throw sutures, and make alcohol (I'm more of a consumer myself). When I was younger (under 30), I probably had only done half the things on the list. Then, buying an older home and driving some older vehicles was beneficial not only from a financial standpoint when purchasing/maintaining/repairing them, but I learned a ton about being my own plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc. Having an older friend who is a real gearhead has helped me immensely. Google and Youtube have also been very valuable allies. I am frequently amazed by how simple a project can be. When the radiator on my pickup started leaking all over, I figured that might be a hefty bill at the repair shop. My buddy said, "aw heck, we can fix that". So, I ordered a radiator from Amazon. Then when it arrived, my buddy came down with Covid. So, I watched a five-minute video on Youtube and figured I could do it myself. Took me about an hour and fifteen minutes, only because I'm pretty conservative and took my time.

You'd be surprised, some of the most skilled carpenters and builders I've met were more highly educated/had science degrees. Attention to detail and a desire to implement modern building technologies versus Joe Schmoe that's "been doing it that way for 30 years" who refuses to learn from others merely due to their younger age. On the flipside, I've met tech nerds that have never left shelter willingly and wouldn't know which end of a hammer to hold and tradesmen that have the nicest PC gaming setups I've ever seen.

Point being, people will often surprise you. Give them a chance.

Yup, you are spot on. I actually do have a few Science degrees, but I don't frame them or parade around like most folks in the professional world. I work and live in the city and its RARE to find folks who have barterable skills here. I was lucky enough to get a full ride scholarship so I decided to study Science, figured it was one of about 5 really practical majors I could go into. Its insane how useful it is. Doesn't pay a ton, but I can use that knowledge to fix things that most folks wouldn't touch.

By far the smartest person I ever met was an awkward dude at UW who I ended up being great friends with. Just flat out humbling how smart the guy was. Mom worked at a Nuclear Missle Silo, Dad was a doctor. He was just on a whole other level of intelligence. Sad thing was most people wrote him off because he couldn't talk well, and had irregular social tendencies.

Another one on here that could be added is simply being strong and in-shape, and having good hand tools ready to go. Im talking shovels, axes, chain saws, come-alongs, mattocks, dollies, tow straps, chains, angle grinders, sawzalls, band saws, any tool to move or cut big/heavy/strong stuff.

Last Edited:
This has been the way for a good while now. So many young people take out HUGE student loan debt to get an education that is not worth the debt. Meanwhile if they had learned a trade they could do so for pennies on the dollar what they paid for and end up with a trade that would make them VERY much in demand and make a damn good living. Such a waste.

Its very true. I currently know zero people in the trades that don't have a solid income, and who always have work. But I do know many people with BA degrees who are barely skirting by. The scary thing for them is that the lack of practical knowledge DOES put them in financial danger because something as simple as a brake job or plumbing repair could eat up all of their saved money because they don't know how to fix things or have the drive to figure it out.

Actually the most well off person I know doesn't even have a degree. Tradesman who started his own buisness, worked his butt off, making something like 45 million a year, with about 60 employees. He's going to retire early and live in a cabin on the water in Alaska not a bad gig!

Last Edited:
Its very true. I currently know zero people in the trades that don't have a solid income, and who always have work. But I do know many people with BA degrees who are barely skirting by. The scary thing for them is that the lack of practical knowledge DOES put them in financial danger because something as simple as a brake job or plumbing repair could eat up all of their saved money because they don't know how to fix things or have the drive to figure it out.

Actually the most well off person I know doesn't even have a degree. Tradesman who started his own buisness, worked his butt off, making something like 45 million a year, with about 60 employees. He's going to retire early and live in a Cabin on the water in Alaska not a bad gig!
I think many trades have long been underrated compared to "white collar" jobs that usually require a university degree. This was true even back in the 1970s. And since then tuitions have gone through the roof. Many white collar jobs pay a salary and expect way more than 40 hours a week, with no extra pay for the overtime let alone time and a half. And often no ability to say no to overtime. The jobs are specialized enough so that unless you live in a huge city, you are probably going to have to move to another city or state to replace your job. This means people often feel trapped into tolerating abusive bosses or ridiculous corporate policies. Like Dilbert with his abusive pointy haired boss. Many companies in USA expect you to move. This often means losing all your friends and social network, and if your spouse is working, screwing up her career. (In all cases I know of it was the woman's career that was sacrificed.) Most trades jobs are more replaceable. A skilled tradesman who is treated unfairly can usually easily get another job just as good or better without needing to relocate. And his boss knows it.

The white collar guy may or may not have a starting pay substantially higher than the blue collar guy. Even if he starts out at higher pay, that doesn't take into account that he doesn't start earning a serious income until four or more years later. And may come out with huge amounts of student loans that take years to pay off. In addition, while the price of degrees has gone way up, their value has collapsed now that so many more people have them. The person with a degree in English or history may find out that the degree is worthless except for teaching those subjects at the college level. And there are hundreds who have those degrees and want those jobs for every job available.

Interesting thread. I find myself thinking how much of a need or potential market there is 'out there' for something like a general prepper camp. Something like Clint Smith's Thunder ranch..but more generalized not gun centered. There are a TON of people out there who don't have a clue about most of what you listed. I would also say that everyone could probably use some extra skills. For example, I don't know how to weld..but have it on my list to learn. A year ago I had it on my list to get my Technician HAM license..and I did.

I agree though..time's running out.

P.S. +1 to getting in shape.

Interesting thread. I find myself thinking how much of a need or potential market there is 'out there' for something like a general prepper camp. Something like Clint Smith's Thunder ranch..but more generalized not gun centered. There are a TON of people out there who don't have a clue about most of what you listed. I would also say that everyone could probably use some extra skills. For example, I don't know how to weld..but have it on my list to learn. A year ago I had it on my list to get my Technician HAM license..and I did.

I agree though..time's running out.

P.S. +1 to getting in shape.

If you want a low budget starting place that you dont need a gas bottle or high voltage for, this is a fantastic starting place. Steel only, and not as clean as other methods, but small, portable, and cheap. Good enough for 95% of anything you will encounter as an average joe. Super simple to use.

If you want a low budget starting place that you dont need a gas bottle or high voltage for, this is a fantastic starting place. Steel only, and not as clean as other methods, but small, portable, and cheap. Good enough for 95% of anything you will encounter as an average joe. Super simple to use.

Thanks for the tip! I haven't had the best experience with Harbor Freight, but I think that type of a welder is a great place to start. I'm watching the youtube customer video from the link..he's gonna compare that $160 welder to his $2000 miller welder...lol.

Sounds like I have a Christmas present idea for the wife now :)

Thanks for the tip! I haven't had the best experience with Harbor Freight, but I think that type of a welder is a great place to start. I'm watching the youtube customer video from the link..he's gonna compare that $160 welder to his $2000 miller welder...lol.

No worries! I spent a long time checking out cheap options, and I haven't had a single issue with mine.
Probably 40lbs of wire through it so far. That Orange Flux core "Vulcan" 2lb small spool (make sure you get flux core wire, not mig) at HF is a good deal and actually works pretty good. The ground clamp on the welder does suck, as well as the flux welding wire that comes with the unit, but its easy to swap the clamp and get new wire. Start at about 2/3rds full capacity on the voltage and wire speed and go from there. Pic for referance on the "sweet spot" for most of what I do for tubeular stuff. I like it a little hot for good penetration, but if it looks like I am starting to blow through, I just pull the gun further away and run a longer length of wire. Less voltage per unit wire, thats a great way to adjust your voltage in-flight without touching the dial. Jump on in! Consider checking out dry cut chop saws (like Evo), grinders, and angle grinders. The metal prep and measuring is actually harder than the welding part. Lots of carry over if you are any good at carpentry. The Flux 125 welder is all I have used to build the buggy.

20231107_174236.jpg 20231103_151658.jpg

No worries! I spent a long time checking out cheap options, and I haven't had a single issue with mine.
Probably 40lbs of wire through it so far. That Orange Flux core "Vulcan" 2lb small spool (make sure you get flux core wire, not mig) at HF is a good deal and actually works pretty good. The ground clamp on the welder does suck, as well as the flux welding wire that comes with the unit, but its easy to swap the clamp and get new wire. Start at about 2/3rds full capacity on the voltage and wire speed and go from there. Pic for referance on the "sweet spot" for most of what I do for tubeular stuff. I like it a little hot for good penetration, but if it looks like I am starting to blow through, I just pull the gun further away and run a longer length of wire. Less voltage per unit wire, thats a great way to adjust your voltage in-flight without touching the dial. Jump on in! Consider checking out dry cut chop saws (like Evo), grinders, and angle grinders. The metal prep and measuring is actually harder than the welding part. Lots of carry over if you are any good at carpentry. The Flux 125 welder is all I have used to build the buggy.

View attachment 1757888 View attachment 1757889
Thanks again. Cool SxS btw.

I have always been one of those people that - if it works, take it apart to find out why. I always managed to get them back together again, but lighter than they were before (left over parts).

Older cars and trucks taught me a lot.

Electronics are hit and miss, but mechanical parts are easy for me to fix.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top