JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I say no, but i'm excited to see you.

I was with some friends at a restaurant, one of which is not a fan of guns. He hit me in the side and his hand stuck something metal.

He yells out "is that a gun"!?

I almost slapped a grown man.

I've only ever been asked by people that already know, and they'll get an honest answer, anyone else is a nope.

Typically it's something like my dad spots a group of shady looking people eyeballing the family picnic, and more so wants to bring it to my attention. Though far more frequently is I'll be with the kids out fishing late into the evening and the trail back to the car goes through some dark part of the woods and the kids ask if I'm carrying. That's usually a good opportunity to remind them that talking about my gun, especially shouting about it before entering the dark scary section of woods, is not the most tactically sound idea :).

As far as seeing it goes, I don't humor show and tell out-and-about. If we're at the range sure. If we're at my home, I'll excuse myself, make the carry piece safe, leave that gun's mag+1 behind, and typically pocket my XDS before returning with the formerly carried piece for show and tell.

My first response depends on the question. If worded as the OP has, my response is "Carrying what?"
In your own mind you connect the word" carrying" with "carrying a gun," as it's a gunny term, but your questioner might not. That helps you determine the best answer. It's okay to pause while you try to figure out what to say; especially if you look taken aback, as if you weren't you'd be trying to figure out what they mean by the question.
If the descriptor "gun" or something like it were used, I usually deflect with something like "Why would I be carrying a gun?" which puts the ball back in their court, to uncomfortably explain why they would ask. I'm also a bad liar.
Only when I know the person enough to answer honestly would I provide a more direct answer.

I've had this problem in reverse...

The wife and I went out to dinner with two couples. The restaurant was crowded and they asks if we'd like to sit in the bar. To which I replied, "I can't sit in the bar". The not so pleasant spouse of a friend very loudly asked, "Why can't you sit in the bar?"

I paused for a second, in the very crowded lobby, and replied (with a sly grin), "I'm a recovering alcoholic and the judge doesn't think it's a good idea". Her husband started laughing out loud (since he knew it was a lie and what the real reason was) and I avoided running foul of the law.

I lost some skin on my shin where my wife kicked me that night but I didn't see any value in addressing her question with the truth.

You can't legally sit in the bar?

Close friends already know, and sometimes will just want to see my choice and rig.

Anyone else, I'll simply say "if something bad happens and I am carrying, you'll know because I will do what I can with it to stop the event. You'll know I'm not carrying if I take actions such as cower in the corner and start throwing things, or try and run out the door when he isn't looking. At that point you'd bettter be close behind me.

That's how and when yhou'll have the answer to that question.

I agree that no one really needs to know that I carry. BTW, I have found that if pulled over on a traffic violation, by keeping your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, and telling the officer that you will be happy to comply with his requests but the, "I want to inform you that I have a carry permit and I am carrying", usually ends up in a good guy conversation with no citation. Just be polite and respectful and they will recognize you are one of the good guys.
Does it always work, probably not. Does it work most of the time? Unless you are reckless driving or something, yes. DUI? No.

I agree that no one really needs to know that I carry. BTW, I have found that if pulled over on a traffic violation, by keeping your hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, and telling the officer that you will be happy to comply with his requests but the, "I want to inform you that I have a carry permit and I am carrying", usually ends up in a good guy conversation with no citation. Just be polite and respectful and they will recognize you are one of the good guys.
Does it always work, probably not. Does it work most of the time? Unless you are reckless driving or something, yes. DUI? No.

I wholeheartedly agree with this response but my question is strictly a legal question for OR - are you required to tell a LEO if they ask? I would, politely but am just wondering if the law says you have to.

I wholeheartedly agree with this response but my question is strictly a legal question for OR - are you required to tell a LEO if they ask? I would, politely but am just wondering if the law says you have to.
In OR, if you have a CCW, the police data base knows it and the officer approaching you will probably already be aware of it.

That is, if you have an OR CCW. Don't know if it is tied to any other state.

But that is a really good reason to come forward. He or she probably knows anyway, and that keeps everyone's heads cool.

In OR, if you have a CCW, the police data base knows it and the officer approaching you will probably already be aware of it.

I lived in CT for about 20 years & the D/L was tied to the CHL. Moved back 'home' to OR in Dec. '12 & enjoy living in WaCo where the Sheriff is very pro-2A.

The question still stands - is there a law that states you're required to disclose if asked?

I have OR, AZ, & UT permits.

The question still stands - is there a law that states you're required to disclose if asked?

It's my understanding that Oregon does not have any sort of duty to notify. That said, it's also my understanding that there are laws (no, I can't cite them) that makes it illegal to lie to a LEO. Which leaves your choices at; tell the truth, invoke your right to not answer questions, or redirect.

It's my understanding that Oregon does not have any sort of duty to notify. That said, it's also my understanding that there are laws (no, I can't cite them) that makes it illegal to lie to a LEO. Which leaves your choices at; tell the truth, invoke your right to not answer questions, or redirect.

It's illegal to lie to a Federal Officer but I don't believe the same holds true for the State.

The best course of action is always be friendly, polite, & truthful. Trying to redirect is gonna' make them suddenly not like you.

I do know you're required to tell them if you're carrying if they're placing you under arrest but by that time you'd have been patted down. A little late by then.

When I've been pulled over, my permit, driver's license, and other mandatory papers get handed over right off the bat. The permit is on top of the stack and usually gets handed back to me right away with little to no conversation. I find it interesting that it's something that doesn't need to be discussed, as discussion makes it a longer and more complicated interaction. BTW, the pistol registry (WA state) is on another screen the officer has access to, but not all go to the effort to go look at it, so they're not usually aware. Yeah, I usually get a ticket about every three years..

In Oregon you are NOT REQUIRED to tell an LE that you are armed. When I renewed in Tillamook County the paper work I got from the County Sheriff said, If you are stopped PLEASE tell the officer that you have a concealed hand gun. When I just changed address to Clackamas County the paper work from the county said, if you are stopped you SHOULD answer truthfully and tell the officer who what where about the gun. It also says THE LAW DOES NOT REQUIER THAT YOU HAVE TO VOLUNTEER the information to the officer. BUT you want to avoid becoming a threat or TARGET simply because you are armed. (HMMMM sounds like Levoy to me) Also the Federal appeals court ruled in a case that a officer asked a criminal if he was armed and he was but the judge through out the case of a felon in possession because the officer had no right to ask. Anyhow in Oregon as soon as you are pulled over the LE knows you have a CCL. Its listed in your driver license record.

Anyhow in Oregon as soon as you are pulled over the LE knows you have a CCL. Its listed in your driver license record.

Well.... true IF you are driving a car registered to you and IF the officer runs the plate before stepping up to get your license and registration. After he runs your license for warrants I would assume they would know but not necessarily on first contact for a traffic infraction.

My real friends dont ask if Im carrying. They ask WHAT I'm carrying!
My best buddies are not "gun guys" and don't carry. They both own guns, shoot occasionally and are pretty good. They never ask me anything about my gun. They know I have one. It's just understood.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top