JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why?

Why does it make you dangerous if you don't feel sick or revulsion or whatever?

I not sure if relying on feelings like that is the way to know you're on the right track.

It seems to me that, yes, you may feel those things and have those reactions, but not feeling them or having that reaction doesn't make you any more inherently dangerous or risky than anyone else.

You'll just be less driven by feelings and emotion than someone who does.

I'm not so sure that's a bad thing 🤔
Killing for the fun of it is probably not a good idea.
👍

Hmm, interesting take.

I'm not suggesting that emotions can't be valuable, and useful at times.

But I would think that having a strong ethical / moral code (whether backed by feelings or not) would be a more useful and important quality to have than someone who feels bad when they have to do some of the terrible things men have to do in those situations.

That is to say, the code of ethics and morality one subscribes to and lives by dictates behavior better than emotions and feelings do, methinks.

Otherwise, we're no different than the lower animals.

What say you?
As I as said earlier...
Everyone reacts differently to combat and or taking lives.

And with that said...
Until you do....you may think and feel one way....then after you do...
Well...then there will probably be some different thoughts and feelings.
Andy

I have difficulty explaining things in written word. But I will try by writing it in choppy-storyish form.

I was driving on Tribal land, over a timbered mountain pass on winding 2-lane shoulder-less section of highway. The shadows of the timber allowed me to steal glimpses of the road from the competing late afternoon sun. In one of the glimpses, there was a person traveling on foot. I usually don't offer rides to strangers, but I stopped and opened the passenger door.

He told me where he was headed, and then asked if I minded while showing me a beer that he had pulled out of his olive green M65 field jacket. I was wearing a woodland version of the same jacket (and uniform). As he drank his beer, we exchanged small talk. After awhile he asked where I was headed. I thought he might have forgotten that I had already told him "home"… He rephrased the question. This time asking if I had been told where I was going. I answered by telling him that I had an idea. He finished his beer and was quiet for awhile.

As we neared his desired drop point. The man turned and asked if he could share some some advice. I could tell, by his expression, that he considered it to have merit….so I accepted. He told me, "If you have to kill, do it with a smile…not with anger." Then he repeated, "Not with Anger."

We had come off the mountain, into a valley with scattered housing and a small store. I stopped at the store, he thanked me for the ride, and said..."Don't forget the Advice." I thanked him and wished him well.

It may not sound profound…but those words would become valuable to me……and I believe this chance meeting, with an experienced soldier, helped me to stay focused by shunning Anger, and helped me keep my Smile (my happiness).

While certain levels of Fear can cause accidents… I have witnessed all levels Anger cause problems.

I tried to respect all lives on the battlefield, and I have never celebrated the death of the enemy.

Everyone is different, so I am not sure if anyone will get anything from this, but maybe a child or grandchild will stumble upon this rambling in the future. (Hope they don't think all of my animated GIF posts are cringe.) :confused:

One thing is certain, for those who've been there.. everyone's thoughts and feelings on the matter are valid and should be respected.

I learned more about the subject matter from mentors, than I ever did from the experts at the time.

Just wanted to chime back in and say, wow, thank you all to those that shared their personal experiences and wisdom. Wasn't expecting to get that out of this post, but I definitely learned a few things. Keep being the protectors that you are.

Perfect timing…I used one of my audible credits to get Mike Glover's new book about preparedness, and the first chapter covers this topic pretty extensively.

Not a review of the book, but a resource that applies to our sympathetic and parasympathetic responses to high stress situations.

IMG_5664.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR