JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you say if you are with a friend and he/she asks you if you are carrying? I am not a fan of advertising to anyone that I have a gun, but not exactly wanting to lie about it either.

Also, if you answer 'yes', the inevitable follow up question is "Can I see it?".

Curious as to thoughts/experiences with this?

Anyone who is a close friend would know I'm carrying, anyone else would not have any reason to ask. But if someone were to ask me out of the blue, I would give them the look and ignore the question.;)

But I have gotten into conversations at the gun range with other shooters and have discussed concealed carry, what we carry, and ammo we use. So I guess the answer would depend on the person asking and the circumstances.

Last Edited:
Friends* they already know and wouldn't ask, the only context when they'd ask me ...would be them making sure I didn't forget my gun at home.

Acquaintances always get my confused look :confused: followed by the standard, "No, why would you ask?" ( they could be trying to point out that they caught a glimpse...at least around these parts)

Leos and equivalent get a quick, "yes sir, I am. Is there something I can help you with?"

* those people you know that if you call them at 3 AM stuck in a snowdrift 60 miles away, just say "I'll be right there" no questions asked ...and then show up with shovels, tow chain, and hot coffee and donuts...on a workday....
....everyone else is an acquaintance.

Last Edited:
I say "you're damn right".. Or some other equally smart a$$ thing to say.
Its usually by a anti firearm acquaintance or distant relative.

A cop has only asked me once and I said: I sure am. He just laughed and said alright then. But I was being pretty polite because he was being polite.

Close family knows I carry 24/7. They only ask when I tote around my pack.. And its more out of curiosity.. Because they know some cool folding rifle is in there.

I've never been asked if I was carrying. I have been asked if I do carry to which I usually reply something like "do wear your seat belt or own a fire extinguisher?".

Carried over 30 years never been asked. I was asked if I was a cop once a few years ago not when I was in. But my son had some girls over before he was married and they say me carrying and asked. But being they saw it and were curious. I said you know how there are bad guys with guns.? They said yes. I said I am one of the good guys with one and went on to explain what that meant. If a person were to ask me and didn't know me or that I would have one id say piss off in a Australian accent. :eek: Family always asks me that come up from California cause they love my freedom and always want to go shooting.

Seriously I appreciate the question but are you referring to people open carrying ?
Or closed or in general ?

By the way can I see it, I would say know and however I would say have you ever held a firearm in a nice way. and if they said know Id invite them to meet me at the local gun shop. Or even Bimart and kinda help them out to look at some, unless the person was asking to be a deeeck
then I would not answer as it NTFB.

:)

Ok here's an interesting guide I ran across while on Yahoo. It is a Secret Service Training guide for spotting concealed weapons. The way it is written it seems to focus on criminals who carry and how to spot them. Apparently criminals rely on movies for tips on concealed carry.

Frankly when I carry I tend to forget the gun is there. Check out the tips some are hilarious (wearing pants with a belt but the pants have no belt loops). :p

https://info.publicintelligence.net/USSS-ArmedIndividuals.pdf

Never been asked...

If you know me then you know I have a gun on me somewhere at all times.

If you don't know me, you would never know I had one. And if asked I would lie to you and say no.

If asked to see it by a friend, I wouldn't mind inside my car with tinted windows while parked or at my house after being unloaded but most my friends have seen most of my toys so that's not really a senario I can think of being in.

Well the folks that I know that would bother asking,if I'm carrying,would either be someone who should mind their own business or is asking because we may need it
The first i would response with a :confused: and the second with a yes in deed.
The first would be someone who I wouldn't bother with and the second would obviously be someone who I knew was needing a armed partner for an animal or we were in a bad section of town.
Most of the first kind would be trying to make a scene and half would know that it isn't a good idea.
I'm pretty honest with folks around me who I GAF about,rather they share my views or not

I've been asked by my wife and my boss. I happened to stop in at work on a day off and he knows me well enough to ask. And he only asked because he spent several minutes trying to see if he could spot a print as he carries too. Since he finally asked I figured my EDC was concealed good enough. :cool:

I've actually been asked this very question, by a coworker, who I ran into on a Saturday while out running errands with my family.

She and I discussed firearms and carrying many, many times, even in the office... So when she asked, I just gave her "the look" and smiled...

We both walked away with the answer that made each of us happy:D

Last Edited:
My wife is also the only one that asks - usually to reassure herself that I am carrying. Beyond that, very few have ever asked, and for those, I simply practice my usual lie (because it's none of their business) - "No, I'm not carrying". LEO's exempted, of course. I was asked once by someone at work who overheard a conversation between myself and another CHL holder, and I just said "no" and moved on as if nothing happened.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top