JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand the gravity of the situation and all but after ayoob stubbed his toe once his hair hat was found at the hospital seeking refuge so choose your champion wisely.

This information (what to do after a shooting) is important, complicated, and full of nuanced consideration. Few are absolute because you can always find the exception... It bothers me we people talk in absolutes; in most instances, run from their advice (some exceptions will apply).
Yes, EXACTLY.

You get it.

I might be off here but don't the police take the weapon used in a self defense shooting? If you left the scene, what exactly are you planning to do with the weapon? I haven't watched. Will soon.

Some comments seem to indicate the YouTuber wants you to lie to get a trip to the hospital. He did not say to lie. He listed 3 reasons to go to the hospital: 1 - you may be injured from high adrenaline/blood pressure and not even know it; 2 - you may have a heart attack or some other event a while after the incident so it's best to be at the hospital if that happens; 3 - being monitored at the hospital should be a calmer environment than being questioned at the police station, and if while you are there, the investigators determine it to be a good self-defense shoot then maybe you will not have to talk to the police much at all. He also said do not talk to anyone about the incident at the hospital except your attorney, and try to not be in the same hospital as the guy you shot if possible. All sounds pretty reasonable. At no point did he say to lie, and as others have said, you shouldn't lie.

Big difference between "request EVALUATION" and saying "I need TREATMENT"--the latter is more likely a lie unless you're visibly bleeding, the former is just saying you want them to make SURE there's nothing wrong and to be somewhere that can handle it if Delayed Shock Syndrome decides to crash the party.

Watched the video. Not a fan of the YouTuber, his presentation style, or the animations in it (the 90s called - they want their CGI back). However, I think this isn't so much bad advice as something that could have been articulated better.

With the cost of medical care in this country, I'm staying as far away from hospitals as I'm legally allowed to. Adding medical debt to what's already going to be an expensive event isn't on the menu

With the cost of medical care in this country, I'm staying as far away from hospitals as I'm legally allowed to. Adding medical debt to what's already going to be an expensive event isn't on the menu
Yea if ambulance ride that's a couple grand. Hospital probably 5 grand I would guess? And for what? Because some random YouTuber says you should go to the hospital always after an incident? I say horse pucky! If you are hurt by all means go to the hospital but don't do it to play games.

You would think so, but it turns out you need to be very careful about how you say that

That seems to just be a case of a judge wanting to get to some conclusion and twisting whatever facts they can to get there. There is nothing in the world that can protect you from that. All you can hope for is a correction on appeal.

As someone who has spent more time in the hospital than he would like, I can say Urgent Care is never "urgent" or "care"... ER is almost never an "emergency".... And neither are relaxing in any way that helps you calm down.

Late to the conversation, but I was following from the beginning.

My biggest issue with YouTube dude (aside from his annoying voice and the fact he's got three AR mags on his plate carrier when his video has nothing to do with depictions of shooting ARs) is that he is wearing a "POLICE" patch, comments that he is a serving law enforcement officer, yet is on social media -- and regardless of whether he make a profit with his videos -- he is not representing his agency in an official capacity (and it doesn't need to be obvious who his employer is), and at the very least is in violation of his department's ethics policy.

Another thing is that he differentiated between a "justified self-defense" shooting and a homicide. Even a legit SD killing is a homicide.

@WillametteWill's last post was excellent, summed things up well.

However, I think this isn't so much bad advice as something that could have been articulated better.
Indeed!

His whole video to me came across as advice how to get out of being questioned by the police.
You are not getting out of being questioned by the police, You are delaying it until the adrenalin has some time to wear off.
Every LEO has a 72 hour colling off period before they can be questioned. it keeps them from saying dumb things while they are high on adrenalin.
I have gotten very similar advice from my lawyer. In the first few min after a shooting people say lots of things that are not right. But given a day or so to get their head straight and they can better repeat the events in the order that they really happened. This is exactly why a LEO can't be questioned on the record for 72 hours.
And I got that advise without the plate carrier, police patches, and ammo. Just a lawyer sitting across the table at a Starbucks. DR

As far as the cost goes, I have medical insurance that covers emergency's with only a couple hundred dollars out of pocket. [ that is only 2 tanks of gas!] I am going to pay more than that to get a lawyer to sit down with me. DR

Every LEO has a 72 hour colling off period before they can be questioned.
Respectfully, not factual. There are groups, IACP is one IIRC, that recommends officers have a period to recover before questioning. In many areas, officers will be ordered to give a statement. This triggers what is known as a Garrity (or Lybarger in California) warning. Since they are being compelled to make a statement, there are strict limitations as to how the information can be used against them. Non-officers do not have this protection. Officers nearly always provide a "public safety" statement immediately after the event. This is essentially what Mas Ayoob recommends as well. I would recommend anyone who has not seen is aforementioned video on this check it out and decided for themselves. VIDEO (This is a newer version that I have not completely watched yet as a disclaimer, not the older ASP version)

Also note, in the book You have the right to remain innocent, by Professor James Duane of the often quoted, "Don't talk to police" video fame, he advises, "At the risk of stating the obvious, you should of course talk to the police (although as briefly as possible) in those situations in which the law requires you to call them (to let them know, for example, that you have been involved in an automobile accident or a shooting in which someone has been seriously injured or killed)....". This is the same as Mas advises in his video. Although this is a different subject (that we have discussed here in the past) the OP video links the two topics.
Some comments seem to indicate the YouTuber wants you to lie to get a trip to the hospital. He did not say to lie. He listed 3 reasons to go to the hospital: 1 - you may be injured from high adrenaline/blood pressure and not even know it; 2 - you may have a heart attack or some other event a while after the incident so it's best to be at the hospital if that happens; 3 - being monitored at the hospital should be a calmer environment than being questioned at the police station, and if while you are there, the investigators determine it to be a good self-defense shoot then maybe you will not have to talk to the police much at all. He also said do not talk to anyone about the incident at the hospital except your attorney, and try to not be in the same hospital as the guy you shot if possible. All sounds pretty reasonable. At no point did he say to lie, and as others have said, you shouldn't lie.
See my quote below, of his direct quote from the video. ALWAYS...his words. My issue is that he says things that may initially, and very superficially, sound okay, but upon critical examination are not factual or, IMHO, ill-advised. His thoughts that if you go to the hospital that they might not interview you just because you are there and they don't want to pay the bill, and they might have the case wrapped up by the time you are released is ridiculous. If he works for an agency that operates in this manner, that scares me. If there are agencies with this mindset, they are the exception, not the rule.

Also, in most places, you cannot demand to go to the hospital. They will call medics, you will be evaluated, and if you are medically cleared by them, your future belongs to the officer - not your demand to go to the hospital. The information the medics collect is also evidence, either for or against you. You also may not have an option as to which hospital you go to.
"Today, you are going to learn, why you should always request, to the police, to automatically go to the hospital, after you have been forced to shoot somebody in self defense, even if you are not injured, and for some reason this is controversial subject."
Again, if you legitimately need to go to the hospital, call for medics. As you can tell, this is not a pet peeve of mine, it's more like an entire zoo of peeves for me when someone like Captain Plate Carrier talks in absolutes, spews a bunch of information like there are no other options (his if you don't agree with me, I just don't know what to say attitude), and doesn't seem to understand that different areas and agencies work in different way and you don't know where you might get into a DGU. In March alone, I'll likely be carrying a gun in seven or eight different states, so keeping an open mind and understanding universal concepts is important to me. Greatly appreciate this dialog with eveyone.

You are not getting out of being questioned by the police, You are delaying it until the adrenalin has some time to wear off.
Every LEO has a 72 hour colling off period before they can be questioned. it keeps them from saying dumb things while they are high on adrenalin.
I have gotten very similar advice from my lawyer. In the first few min after a shooting people say lots of things that are not right. But given a day or so to get their head straight and they can better repeat the events in the order that they really happened. This is exactly why a LEO can't be questioned on the record for 72 hours.
And I got that advise without the plate carrier, police patches, and ammo. Just a lawyer sitting across the table at a Starbucks. DR
I figure this really could not hurt. I have long said almost every time I have ever seen a shoot that was "probably OK" but the shooter got in a jam it was their mouth. So many just do not seem to be able to just shut the hell up after. So maybe taking the time to go would help some of them shut up at least till they get a lawyer there to speak for them??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top