JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would hardly call 5'9" a bigger dude, even at 300lbs. That's just an average American. I'm 6'2, 205 and I'm still not that big of a guy.

That said, if I were picking out a gun today, I would think getting one with a chassis system would be a good idea so I only have to buy a full gun once, then I can customize to make it bigger/smaller as needs and wants change. The echelon and any 365 flavor meet that want

I like the p365xl I got and it's comfortable to carry. It's a little snappy but not too bad at all.

It's a 3.7" barrel and I think the xmacro is only 3" but the xl has less mass so im guessing a little more snappy than the macro would be.

If you can't find one to rent the next best thing is to handle the guns. Assuming you can find a shop that has them? Handle the pistols and see how they feel to you.
I found and handled the sig 365xmacro and the canik mete sfx pro which is the long donger of the sft just no luck on the echelon

For a do-all handgun I would lean more towards a midsize 9mm with capacity around 15 rounds, like a Glock 19, CZ 75b Compact or a comparable Beretta, Sig, etc.
Agreed. I don't see subcompacts/smaller framed guns as "do it all."

Thanks everyone's for your input! calling around there is a guy that is willing to take me out to shoot his collection and he has the macro and the mete and the echelon but won't be for another week which is fine by me. I'll give an update everyone be safe and thanks again 👍🏽

Thanks everyone's for your input! calling around there is a guy that is willing to take me out to shoot his collection and he has the macro and the mete and the echelon but won't be for another week which is fine by me. I'll give an update everyone be safe and thanks again 👍🏽
Now that is the best possible way to do this. Buy the guy a nice meal after. Used to be if you bought a gun and found you really did not "feel it" no big deal, just sell it. Now days to do that normally means taking a big hit in the wallet. So great you get to try one first. :D

I can't find any indoor ranges that carry the guns I wanna test fire. So I ask here I'm looking to get and EDC/home defense pistol i was thinking 50bmg 🤣 kidding seriously I was going 9mm and so far I've narrowed it down to the sig 365xmacro, Canik mete Sf/SFT, or the Springfield Echelon. I've look at the place to shoot, clackamas public safety training center, and threat dynamics and none of those places have the guns I would like to test fire. Technically Clackamas PSTC has a sig 365 but I believe it's the base model. If anyone has any good ideas or insight it would be much appreciated. I'm a bigger sized dude at 5'9" 317lbs and been looking at holster set ups and training once I can make a decisive decision and pull the trigger (pun intended) thanks again in advance and happy thanksgiving and happy holidays
I would broaden your search for ranges that rent guns. Fe safe fire and English pit in Vancouver. Probably lots of others I don't know about also (maybe tri-county?). Safe fire gun list:

Last Edited:
I'm 5'9" and just over 200 lbs. I have full size guns. I tried for years to carry them. Even with the best holsters and belts to hold them up as soon as I got home the gun went in a drawer or on the kitchen cabinet. Once I found pocket carry my EDC gun stays on me from the time I get dressed till I'm changing for bed.
Pocket carry is not for everyone, and it takes a smaller gun, But for me it has made carrying everywhere, every day so much easier! Even the people I live with or are around every day don't see it, don't notice it, and are unaware I have it on me.
Just because it works for someone else, don't let others push you into a larger or smaller gun than what fits your needs.
I mostly carry a 642 small frame revolver. It took me some practice to learn to shoot it well. it only holds 5 rounds, and nearly has no sights. But I can keep it on me at all times, it fits even in jeans pockets, out to 25 yards I can put all 5 on an 8" target [ beyond that my eyesight becomes the problem], and everyone that sells holsters makes one that fits.
The other gun I carry is a Shield. I can shoot it as well as a full-size pistol. it holds the same amount of ammo as a 1911. and it fits in larger pockets.
Pick the gun that fits your needs, and enjoy it! DR

I can't find any indoor ranges that carry the guns I wanna test fire. So I ask here I'm looking to get and EDC/home defense pistol i was thinking 50bmg 🤣 kidding seriously I was going 9mm and so far I've narrowed it down to the sig 365xmacro, Canik mete Sf/SFT, or the Springfield Echelon. I've look at the place to shoot, clackamas public safety training center, and threat dynamics and none of those places have the guns I would like to test fire. Technically Clackamas PSTC has a sig 365 but I believe it's the base model. If anyone has any good ideas or insight it would be much appreciated. I'm a bigger sized dude at 5'9" 317lbs and been looking at holster set ups and training once I can make a decisive decision and pull the trigger (pun intended) thanks again in advance and happy thanksgiving and happy holidays
A few thoughts...
1. You might want to consider getting 2 guns, one for EDC and one for HD. While some folks comfortably carry large-frame pistols just fine, many folks prefer a compact or subcompact pistol for EDC as they tend to be easier to conceal. With a HD gun you don't need to make any compromises for concealability, so for that a full-sized pistol (or better yet, a PDW, rifle or shotgun) would probably be ideal.

2. I don't know that observations and impressions will do you much good for something so personalized as an EDC gun. Everyone's height, weight, hand size, arm length, eyesight, and shooting preferences are different, so what works for someone else may not work for you. Without trying it firsthand it's basically a gamble.

3. If I were in your shoes and really wanted to try out specific guns but was unable to locate any for rent at a local range, I would offer to cover the cost of range fees and ammo for any local members who own those firearms and would be willing to let you try them out. Despite the bickering you sometimes see on this forum most of our members are pretty cool people who are willing to give other members a helping hand so long as said member is a decent and respectful human being.

4. Another option would be to widen your search radius and commit to traveling a bit in order to try them out at other ranges that carry them.

5. You could also just buy one and see if you like it. If not, sell it and get a different one. You'll lose some cash on the deal, but that's sometimes the cost of finding the right gun.

Edit: looks like you have it figured out, glad to hear!

I'm 5'9" and just over 200 lbs. I have full size guns. I tried for years to carry them. Even with the best holsters and belts to hold them up as soon as I got home the gun went in a drawer or on the kitchen cabinet. Once I found pocket carry my EDC gun stays on me from the time I get dressed till I'm changing for bed.
Pocket carry is not for everyone, and it takes a smaller gun, But for me it has made carrying everywhere, every day so much easier! Even the people I live with or are around every day don't see it, don't notice it, and are unaware I have it on me.
Just because it works for someone else, don't let others push you into a larger or smaller gun than what fits your needs.
I mostly carry a 642 small frame revolver. It took me some practice to learn to shoot it well. it only holds 5 rounds, and nearly has no sights. But I can keep it on me at all times, it fits even in jeans pockets, out to 25 yards I can put all 5 on an 8" target [ beyond that my eyesight becomes the problem], and everyone that sells holsters makes one that fits.
The other gun I carry is a Shield. I can shoot it as well as a full-size pistol. it holds the same amount of ammo as a 1911. and it fits in larger pockets.
Pick the gun that fits your needs, and enjoy it! DR
And most importantly. Whatever gun you go with (size, style, action, etc.) train and get proficient with it. If you do that you'll be ahead of at-least 50-75% of individuals who carry a gun.

Get something you like and will ACTUALLY carry.

My experience: Glock 19. Parts and magazines widely available, and I'd stock up on the mags before that onerous gun-grab bill goes into effect. I've carried a Glock 21 .45acp for some years now, good pistols. One could do far worse than a 10mm Glock, fwiw..
A secondary might be a .357 4-5 inch revolver- I'd go a Colt or Smith, personally. (waiting on a 3" King Cobra)...
FWIW I'm 5'9" or so but weigh less, and all these work well for me. Another I have found useful are the Ruger P95 and P89. Both handy sturdy and not too pricey. Carried both as duty weapons years ago very reliable and built for USE. Some call them as handy as a brick scheisse-haus but was not the case for me.:D

My .02 is that fit and function are first choice, as others have stated. Assuming a modern firearm from a quality manufacturer (yeet cannon aside lol), the ability to quickly and consistently get a good high grip from the holster and being to easily and instinctively manipulate the controls are primary factors for me.

For most self defense carry situations, any decent modern handgun is more than accurate enough.

Capacity and caliber (within reason), take a back seat to having a comfortable to wear, easily handling firearm for EDC.

The nice thing about the Sig p365 is that the serialized Fire Control Unit can be used in regular, XL and Macro frames.

I bought a p365xl, a p365-380 and a Macro frame so I can swap to have all sizes.

My Echelon is my favorite striker pistol. I don't even bother shooting my Glocks anymore, except for my G20. If the Echelon came in 10mm I'd sell the G20.

I've had pretty much every striker pistol that's come out in the last decade, they're all very similar but a few stand out. You just need to find a rental somewhere or just buy one online and hope you like it!

CZ P-09! Yes, i am biased.

If I was going to pick a one and done handgun my first choice would be a 6 shot 357 revolver. If I wanted to carry IWB I'd change that to a mid sized 40 S&W Like a Glock 23, or 4" m&p. I'd want plain jane simple, bomb proof reliable with no extra switches, button or knobs. Ideally the revolver in the nightstand and the auto on the hip. Why 40? I know all the hype about the 9 but I think the 40 hits harder and hitting harder is a good thing when stopping the bad guy IMHO. Now for going to the range I like full sized all metal guns with checkered wood grips they seem to fit my 3X hands better and I can shoot them all day long. Plastic guns get squirmy when shot a lot. I have tough leathery hands so the texturing doesn't work well for me until I make it sharper with 80 grit sandpaper.

North Plains isn't to far. It
Might be worth driving over to Safe Fire in Camas. They have all the guns you could want to test. While the p365xmacro is a solid choice, so is the p365xl. Great route if you plan to EDC a lot as the gun makes it easy. Although you also have the CZP07,Glock 19, M&P2.0 compact, shield, and literally an endless amount of options that would like be better for Home defense and generally fun.

Safe Fire has them all. I think it's 25 bucks to rent, then you buy ammo and you can change guns as much as you want. Just remember to bring your own gun or a buddy otherwise you can't rent if I remember the rules correctly.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR