JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you carry in your house of worship?

• Yes, as part of personal defense.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Yes, as part of personal defense and as part of a security team.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Have in the past, not now.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No, I don't carry in my house of worship

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No, I don't have a house of worship and/or carry license, so moot point.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
@Koda -- Different individuals and different societies draw on many sources for inspiration, influence and choice of their religion/spirituality/philosophy/ethics. We are explicitly taught by our parents, relatives, schools, and others, by the personal example of our parents and teachers and the heroes of our culture from historical figures to comic book and fictional characters. From the religions and religious influences in our own society and those of others. From friends, boy/girl scouts, team sports, boot camp, military service, going to war. From giving birth, delivering a baby. From raising a family. Saving a life at risk of your own. From death and loss. From caring for the dying. And from visions...direct religious experiences.
I was trying to let the question go out of respect to the OP, but to answer the question of where morality comes from. Society.
OldBroad44s answers it best. The society that surrounds a person is what gives and influences that persons morality. Whether its a religious circle, secular, indigenous, pagan, or some other religion or a combination.

I will add that not every social moral is for the better. This is true in both secular society and religious groups, Ive seen good and bad morals equally. Good morality is not exclusive to one social group.

Come on we can make it to six pages…. Almost there…
I would have lost this bet...

20240224_232534.jpg

So, uh, do you carry a gun to the alter or what?
As I already mentioned, I don't participate in organized religion. If I did participate in an organized religion I would carry there. I think those who feel uncomfortable carrying to church or to the alter feel that way for one of two main reasons or both. One is they view the gun as a tool of aggression and feel more assertive or aggressive when carrying one. And this doesn't feel like it fits with the humility or submission they think they should experience or express before God. However I don't think of my edc as a tool of aggression. Its just a tool, a component of technology, just like the clothes or shoes I also wear. It allows me to be more competent and caring toward myself and others. I feel more careful and humble when I carry. And more mellow.

I think the other major disconnection some people feel between carrying in church and church is they are thinking of true religion as being strongly about faith in God, and carrying in church seems to say "I don't trust in God to even keep me safe in church." However, I don't necessarily believe in a God who takes personal responsibility for keeping us "safe" by our concept of what safe is for us in church or anywhere else. Since we don't know for sure what is going to happen after we die, we can't even know for sure whether we would be better off living or dying today. However, most of us strongly want to live. And I think humans reach the peak of humanity by being responsible for themselves and, to the extent they can, also being responsible for and serving others. And that takes competence. Which requires tools and technology. Including guns.

I have but I do worry about suprise hugs from well meaning people. I go less since 2020 but the congregation has exploded with new housing in the area. Several sermons on Sunday. I don't really know anyone at a given service.

I have but I do worry about suprise hugs from well meaning people.
After a church service as I was leaving Mom's house, she gave me a hug. I carry IWB about 3:30-4:00. She bumped my gun with her had when she was releasing me. Then she asked, "Is that a gun?" I slightly smiled and said, "Could be." That was the last of the conversation, but not the last time it happened with her. I've had the same thing happen with my sisters and daughters, but they all know me well enough to know.

I have but I do worry about suprise hugs from well meaning people. I go less since 2020 but the congregation has exploded with new housing in the area. Several sermons on Sunday. I don't really know anyone at a given service.
Over many decades I have been "made" that way several times. The reactions are often funny when someone has "accidentally" noticed I was armed. Has lead to some interesting conversations about it after. :D

I have but I do worry about suprise hugs from well meaning people.
This is something very important to consider and perhaps often overlooked when carrying at church.

How others will react is of course beyond your control...
However you could be affected by their , or others and their reaction to this discovery.
Andy

This is something very important to consider and perhaps often overlooked when carrying at church.

How others will react is of course beyond your control...
However you could be affected by their , or others and their reaction to this discovery.
Andy
One of the best things about the perfection of "pocket pistols" was it put a stop to this. While the little 32's and .380's are not much, they beat nothing and make it FAR easier to go armed and not have anyone find it. Not to mention some of them are so easy to carry I literally forget the gun is even there. I often carry in the inner pocket of a shirt that is made with the idea of carrying a smart phone. When someone hugs me they actually just assume it is a cell phone they felt. :D

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top