JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I figure this really could not hurt. I have long said almost every time I have ever seen a shoot that was "probably OK" but the shooter got in a jam it was their mouth. So many just do not seem to be able to just shut the hell up after. So maybe taking the time to go would help some of them shut up at least till they get a lawyer there to speak for them??
Very few talk their way out of jail, But a lot of people talk their way into a cell.

If the facts on the scene don't show that you acted in self-defense, you will be arrested whether you are at the hospital or not. But by removing yourself from the scene means things slow down and give you time to get your lawyer to speak for you.
A local cop was making an arrest and during that arrest shot and killed the arrestee. all the witnesses agreed that the bad actor was pulling his gun as he was shot. It was determined that the officer had every right to shoot the guy.
BUT, Somewhere in his interview the Cop said "The gun went off before I was ready". So now his gun gets tested for defects. in that investigation it is found that the gun had aftermarket springs to reduce the trigger pull. He is now facing a murder charge. Had he not made that statement, The adjustments to the fire control were not illegal, and no crime was committed.
This is why we don't talk without your lawyer. Had his lawyer made that statement, it's still no crime. I can offer my side of the story through a lawyer, and only expose myself in a verry narrow and controlled statement that is prescreened and approved by my lawyer first.

as far as going to the hospital, no city or county is going to refuse you treatment. They may arrest you, or they may send an officer with you. that officer will write down everything you say. But they are not there to question you and the detectives will be pissed if they do. You may be handcuffed to a gurney, but they won't prevent you from calling your lawyer. Every emergency room I have ever been in takes hours to get through and in this case time is in your favor.
Time for the adrenalin to wear off, time to get my lawyer there and up to speed, and time for the detectives to get answers from the scene to decide if it looks like they have a crime or not. Eventually you will be asked to tell your side, but let it be after you are in a better frame of mind and after you have someone speaking for you. DR

Very few talk their way out of jail, But a lot of people talk their way into a cell.

If the facts on the scene don't show that you acted in self-defense, you will be arrested whether you are at the hospital or not. But by removing yourself from the scene means things slow down and give you time to get your lawyer to speak for you.
A local cop was making an arrest and during that arrest shot and killed the arrestee. all the witnesses agreed that the bad actor was pulling his gun as he was shot. It was determined that the officer had every right to shoot the guy.
BUT, Somewhere in his interview the Cop said "The gun went off before I was ready". So now his gun gets tested for defects. in that investigation it is found that the gun had aftermarket springs to reduce the trigger pull. He is now facing a murder charge. Had he not made that statement, The adjustments to the fire control were not illegal, and no crime was committed.
This is why we don't talk without your lawyer. Had his lawyer made that statement, it's still no crime. I can offer my side of the story through a lawyer, and only expose myself in a verry narrow and controlled statement that is prescreened and approved by my lawyer first.

as far as going to the hospital, no city or county is going to refuse you treatment. They may arrest you, or they may send an officer with you. that officer will write down everything you say. But they are not there to question you and the detectives will be pissed if they do. You may be handcuffed to a gurney, but they won't prevent you from calling your lawyer. Every emergency room I have ever been in takes hours to get through and in this case time is in your favor.
Time for the adrenalin to wear off, time to get my lawyer there and up to speed, and time for the detectives to get answers from the scene to decide if it looks like they have a crime or not. Eventually you will be asked to tell your side, but let it be after you are in a better frame of mind and after you have someone speaking for you. DR
Good information and betting we have much common ground. I agree that initial statements should be limited to what amounts to an officer's public safety statement. Point out evidence and witnesses, briefly why the other person forced you into a DGU, you will assist with prosecution, and you will fully cooperate after talking with your attorney.

As an investigator, I've interviewed dozens of people while they were in a hospital. While working patrol, I did as well. A good officer/investigator is seeking the truth, not a prosecution. That said, there are less than stellar ones out there, sadly. Note there are some cases where after talking with officers, the LEO determined there was no crime. After politics hit, the prosecutors decided there was. In some cases, like Zimmerman, I'm pretty convinced he was acquitted because of his early statements (and btw...he needed to and did go to the hospital).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top