JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you have a regular rotation schedule for ammo?
I just changed out my 380 pocket ammo and springs in my mags for the first time in three years.
My 9mm carry /HD ammo is 6ish yo. And it's as hot as new stuff with zero issues. - I picked up 1000 rounds and shoot a mag every 6m or so.
I'm still rocking the 62g Speer gold dot .223 I've had for 10 years or so. That stuff is still rocking wo a failure. I prob have 500 rounds left.

What would you do? Leave it all since there is no perception of change to the ammo with age?
Or change it out with new factory and add current ammo to the SHTF stash?

I usually only carry it for a year or two. If you unload and load the rounds a lot, the bullet will get pushed into the brass. I don't think I've ever heard of a failure from this, but it could potentially increase the pressure.

Only my opinion, based on my own experiences...

I have ammo I bought new, 50 years ago. And some vintage ammo that's older than that. Military ammo, for example. And when I have occasion to shoot it, it's just as reliable as any ammo I bought today.

That's not to say I advocate using old ammo for important purposes, but if it happens, so be it. I have an old Security Six I keep loaded in a cabinet in our bedroom. It was not long ago I discovered the self defense ammo I had loaded in it, was nearly as old as the gun. I did then rotate that ammo out, but if I hadn't, I have no concern it would not have worked.

I also have home rolled ammo I put together 40+ years ago. At times, I pull this ammo out just to test a new gun out, to discern its accuracy potential. I have yet to have any of this ammo not perform as perfectly as the day I loaded it.

Timely post, I just switched out my carry ammo yesterday. My answer is whenever I remember to. Probably once a year or so. I also switch between winter and summer loads.

Old ammo works just fine, as long as its been properly stored. I've shot a lot of stuff that is 40-50 years old through my milsurps. No problems at all. Modern handguns are very reliable, I wouldn't lose any sleep over ammo, unless its corroded.

Last Edited:
I used to change out mine pretty regularly, especially during summer months. With the shortages and costs these days, I don't even think about it any more. Just inspect periodically and drive on. :s0155:

Like Solv3nt said, the round that gets chambered in a semi-auto can be affected by repeated loading and unloading.

One option, which I favor, is to burn up the ammo at least every few months. This tests the ammo, the firearm, the magazine, and the carrier's ability to shoot proficiently. Clean, inspect, lube.

The ammo I carry everyday in my pocket or truck gets shot at least once a year. The ammo in a drawer or safe at home will still be good when my grandkids inherit it.
When my Grandfather passed in 1967 he left my dad a 1911 and a dozen mags fully loaded in their oil paper wraps. They were probably Korean war vintage [around 1950].
In 2010 when dad passed, I found those same fully loaded mags in a box in the bottom of his closet.
Some 60 years later they all fired like new ammo.
During all that time they were stored in a climate-controlled home. in those conditions they could have gone another 60 years! DR

There's a new app where you enter humidity, climate, # grains, astrological sign, tolerance for spicy food, and color of your refrigerator and it tells you the exact time you should rotate ur ammo.

Seriously though I'm the same as others above, when I think it's about time and I think of it. I don't pay much attention. I do pay attention to what ammo it is through. Federal HST, Speer gold dot, hornady critical defense or critical duty are all top teir for me for handgun self defense. I should probably pay closer attention to the little NA sidewinder mini revolver 22 mag cuz it's rimfire. But it only gets carried as a backup or when I can't carry anything else.

DD636F74-BBB4-4B96-B020-5CBEA420B971.jpeg
They just sit undisturbed in the gun or speedloaders most of the time. Never had a failure to fire with quality 22 mag ammo but it is rimfire so not to be trusted as much as centerfire imo.

P.S.what do you guys use for 300BO and .556 self defense loads?

Last Edited:
There's a new app where you enter humidity, climate, # grains, astrological sign, tolerance for spicy food, and color of your refrigerator and it tells you the exact time you should rotate ur ammo.

Seriously though I'm the same as others above, when I think it's about time and I think of it. I don't pay much attention. I do pay attention to what ammo it is through. Federal HST, Speer gold dot, hornady critical defense or critical duty are all top teir for me for handgun self defense. I should probably pay closer attention to the little NA sidewinder mini revolver 22 mag cuz it's rimfire. But it only gets carried as a backup or when I can't carry anything else.

View attachment 1814255
They just sit undisturbed in the gun or speedloaders most of the time. Never had a failure to fire with quality 22 mag ammo but it is rimfire so not to be trusted as much as centerfire imo.

P.S.what do you guys use for 300BO and .556 self defense loads?
Where did you get the LRM speed loader? I like that. I carry one or the NAA 22m all the time as a last ditch tool.

300blk- I like the 110g barnes blackout Vor-TX
It feeds well and low flash at night in my guns (7.5",soon to be suppressed)(16" integral suppressed)
Hits like a sledge inside 50yds

Or I go with a heavy 195g LHD CF bullet on top of 4227 at about 990-1020fps

Where did you get the LRM speed loader? I like that. I carry one or the NAA 22m all the time as a last ditch tool.
I'll have to find the name and post here. They come in a pack of 5 for $40 or can buy singles. There are 2 types and apparently this is the only one that works (it does work well actually).

Mine cycles thew quite frequently, a bear here, a couger there and of corse the regular coyote. I seemed to stop packing my colt woodsman on the job and just use my EDC at work(better to shoot what i carry everyday when i have the chance). I've forced my employer to purchase me the same loads I carry so my ammo can be replaced.

@Andy54Hawken how long do you keep your balls in your pocket before stuffing them down the hole?
Wow...the things one is asked around here...:D
Go ask yer mom @solv3nt.....:eek: :D
Kidding here....

As far as modern ammo goes....
I really don't worry 'bout it...as long as the ammo is stored correctly it will work as intended.

Lead round ball will oxidize after awhile...and can increase in diameter so that is something to think about...
But its an easy fix...just wipe yer balls with an oily rag...and all will be well.
( Yes I really just typed that....:eek: :D )
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top