JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me packing heat? What makes you ask a question like that?

upload_2016-4-27_18-41-45.png

Well,here is this old guy's response. [hold the applause, please, its embarrassing LOL]
Honestly, my friends never ask. They know. A person that is not well known to me I will be politely evasive and usually answer "no" or "why do you want to know". Come to think of it, I've never been asked that question. That might be good. Means I am successful so far with the "C" in CCW/CCP.

The crowd I run with would berate you endlessly if you were NOT carrying.

I was involved in a situation where I had to draw a weapon from concealment and when the videos were reviewed by LEO and "other" persons, the LEO noted my proper ROE preparation and added, "I bet you were glad you were carrying", the "others" who were not present were some what surprised by said nothing,and damn good thing they did not.

I never get asked, but my reply would be, "I am breathing and standing here right ??"

I have never been asked, and I would have to frame a response according to the person that would ask! If I were to be asked by a complete stranger, I would be looking at what I might have done or if I was printing that might have prompted them to ask. I would always answer to LEO in the affirmative, but would have to think about any one else! Most people that would ask would do so to make sure I didn't forget ( not going to happen) to have it! My Wife will ask me more out of the playfull "hope you didn't forget" sort of way, but mainly as a way to see if she should be carrying as well!

I would always answer to LEO in the affirmative,

If you don't mind me asking, why? My first thought is why he is asking? If I'm being stopped for a traffic violation, why would he ask? Again, if I'm not doing something illegal, why the question?

Personally, I prefer to make my decisions on the legal side. In this case, the Supreme Court has already said to not volunteer information to the police when they ask about anything except for what the contact is about. If I've done and not about to do something illegal, the question is out of line. In a since, it's a search you are volunteering for. I never consent to a search. That is the American way.

I also have to admit, I'm lucky to live in Oregon. The cops in our more rural areas are not the same as LEO we see regularly on videos in big cities.

Recently I was towing home a travel trailer from up north of me (in oregon) and I had a blow out. I didn't even know it. I saw flashing lights behind me. I pulled over. I got out and went back to the cop (not normally a good thing to do in cities). No normal cover shirt and strapped. No big deal. I said I was going to go a little further to a pull out. He said he'd follow for safety. We both pulled off. Being Oregon and not being a criminal (or young), the gun was never an issue and he never asked. Even when I took it off and put it in the truck so I could change the tire (sitting on the ground) and didn't want my barrel in the gravel.

In the country, things are a lot easier than in the cities.

Good question First, Leo will always ask if you are armed or if there is a weapon in the car. This is, and has been for quite some time, standard operating procedure for LE departments ( It Is for there safety) The correct answer to that ( if you do have something) is always YES. It is not technically any of there business, but they do have the Law on there side and they do want to go home to there wife and kids, same as you. I am not about to start an argument with them about the legality of such a question, I will just answer and let my legal rights do the talking. Show your CCW permit with your DL and other paperwork they ask you for. I have only been pulled over a small number of times, and that question has always been asked, and I have always answered. Not one single time has an LEO asked me any thing other then where is "IT' and to please keep it where it is! I have never been asked to hand it to them or for them to even see it! I am then free to go about my business! My advice is to not to provoke a response from them by refusing to answer the questions, and to give them quick and honest answers. If they are Good LEO ( and a vast majority are) they will leave you alone, Bad ones is what the on board video and YouTube is for!

Ura-Ki,

> Leo will always ask if you are armed or if there is a weapon in the car. This is, and has been for quite some time, standard operating procedure for LE departments ( It Is for there safety)

I've never been asked since moving to Oregon. In CA, it'd be a crime not to let them know and got caught. In Oregon, there is no legal obligation to tell them. That has already been fully litigated here.

> The correct answer to that ( if you do have something) is always YES. It is not technically any of there business, but they do have the Law on there side and they do want to go home to there wife and kids, same as you.

As I said, this has been fully litigated. They do not have the law on their side on this issue.

> I am not about to start an argument with them about the legality of such a question, I will just answer and let my legal rights do the talking.

Same here. I apply my Rights every day. It is my right here to carry, even open carry. I don't really care why they ask.

> Show your CCW permit with your DL and other paperwork they ask you for. I have only been pulled over a small number of times, and that question has always been asked, and I have always answered. Not one single time has an LEO asked me any thing other then where is "IT' and to please keep it where it is!

Lucky you. But I supply my License, registration and proof of Insurance. Since I am not committing any crimes, I don't volunteer anything.

> I have never been asked to hand it to them or for them to even see it! I am then free to go about my business!

I'm also free to go when they are finished doing their job. But again, the U.S. Supreme Court recommends you not answer any "extra" questions. Those extra unaffiliated questions what has put many, many people in prison. There are also numerous states where they ask you about money you are carrying. Just so they can steal it. Like it or not, I trust the courts to tell me what I have to do and what I do not have to do.

> My advice is to not to provoke a response from them by refusing to answer the questions, and to give them quick and honest answers.

I mean no disrespect here but I'll take the recommendations of the Supreme Court before an individual or a cop. Remember, cops are legally allowed to lie to us. It is a crime to lie to them, normally. However, in Oregon, there is nothing in the law that requires us to tell them. Provocation goes both ways. Expecting me to do something just because someone wants me to but am not required to do is wrong. Like I said, I'm not doing anything wrong. If it provoking them, that is really their problem. I personally have no problem with letting the courts decide. If they side with me (and the supreme court) the cop that got us there is going to pay along with his/her employer.

I am always very respectful and do what is required. But required by law not some overly aggressive cop.

Like I said before, in OR, a driver got a ticket for not telling the cop "Immediately." The driver lost in court. He appealed. I think he lost again. He appealed to the higher court and the conviction was overturned. The legal fees from the first trial, the legal fees from the first appeal and the legal fees of the second appeal were paid for by the state becvause it was a state cop that issued the ticket. The court said there is nothing in the law that requires us to make it known to them.

> If they are Good LEO ( and a vast majority are) they will leave you alone, Bad ones is what the on board video and YouTube is for!

Just out of curiosity, is a Good LEO one that follows and enforces the laws or one that makes them up along the way to suit their agenda? Agreed, most are good. In Oregon, except in two of the largest cities, ours are better than anywhere else.

I can only assume you live in a larger city. Because in rural Oregon, we can open carry right into the Sheriff's office to conduct business and no one bats an eye. And in my area, if stopped, the question has never come up. But that is after only one ticket and many minor close quarters with them for numerous auto accidents and times I've stopped on the highway to help another motorist.

Our LEO are Good Cops.

I understand the line of thought about "not talking your way into jail."
I might not "volunteer" this information.
But if in the course of conversation with a law enforcement officer , the question comes up , I'll answer truthfully.
Two reasons for this:
One I dislike lying.
Two , in my mind it is a courtesy issue.
Chances are the officer is just doing his job and if I can make his job easier and give him peace of mind , then I will do so.
After all as stated in a earlier post he just wants to go home in piece...
Andy

Personally, I do not wish to provoke any LEO and I am not about to give them a reason to escalate a minor issue into something bigger. Personally, I will answer all questions as long as I feel my rights and liberty are not being violated, It just makes things much easier. Yes, they can Lie to me, and yes, they can ask questions to try and trip you up, I hold my ground, and politely answer that I do not have to answer that question. At the end of the day, If I get to go home, then It was a good day. And like I posted before, That's what on board video is for! In the unlikely event that a Politzi officer escalates a minor stop into something major, or he violates my rights, then I have proof and can take that to court!

Ura-Ki,

Herein lies the problem.

> Personally, I do not wish to provoke any LEO and I am not about to give them a reason to escalate a minor issue into something bigger.

Provoke? Bring it on. If not answering question that are not required to be answered provokes the LEO, THEY ARE THE PROBLEM, not me. If they get nasty over my not answering that question, we do have a problem. They are the problem. I don't respond well to threats or attempts at intimidation. So to speak, I am as nice as can be. Until THEY provoke me.

> Personally, I will answer all questions as long as I feel my rights and liberty are not being violated, It just makes things much easier.

Easier for whom? You obviously don't really have a clue, IMHO where they are trying to go. When does your niceness end? "Would you mind if I search your car?" While I have nothing to hide, really, there is absolutely no way I am willing to let them search my car just because I was driving 10 MPH over the limit. Easier for whom? Violating my Rights, is never easier for me.

> Yes, they can Lie to me, and yes, they can ask questions to try and trip you up, I hold my ground, and politely answer that I do not have to answer that question.

Same here. I am not interested in answering to many questions that have nothing to do with the stop. Please don't tell me the questions are for his protection.

> At the end of the day, If I get to go home, then It was a good day.

Many have been denied that right just by answering questions or giving them Rights they do not have.

> And like I posted before, That's what on board video is for!

Theirs? Really? It's for your protection? Then why is it so hard to get a copy of their dash cam video when they commit a crime? That video is for their protection, not yours. Just like their gun, it is not for your protection, it is for theirs.

> In the unlikely event that a Politzi officer escalates a minor stop into something major, or he violates my rights, then I have proof and can take that to court!

In theory, that sounds right. However, in practice, it rarely is. And most of the time, it requires an attorney and an act of congress to get those videos in questionable cases. The only video that protects you is if it is recording by your hand, during the stop.

I must admit, at 65, I get asked fewer questions. However, part of that reason is BECAUSE I have learned what to say and what not to answer.

I know it isn't popular to listen to the experts, however, in this case, I prefer to listen to the Supreme Court Justices. They say not to volunteer information to LEO.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful. The question is, are the officers disrespectful when they ask questions you don't have to answer, then they get agressive because you refuse to answer?

Just like searching you "for their protection," while they pull everything out of your pockets. That is not the purpose or proper procedures of that initial pat down. The purpose is to search for weapons, not to identify everything in your pockets. Illegal searches by LEO is a very regular activity, especially of the young, who don't understand their Rights. That is another reason why the young are more often arrested than the older crowd.

In case this has never crossed your desk, one of the leading purposes of a traffic stop is to try to find a Felony. That is also why so many young end up having their personal property and they vehicles searched, even when there is absolutely nothing found. Was it still a legal search, probably not.

I never try to piss off LEO and I expect the same from them. Like in numerous states where they ask how much money you're carrying when they stop you on the highway. They are trying to find a way to steal your money, and possibly your car, without ever being charged or convicted of any crime.

Most LEO are good, no question about it. But there is the same percentage of crooked cops as there are crooked citizens. Cops are the same as us.

Last Edited:
When the fiancé asks I say yes. I have been asked by a few close friends. But even with them being close friends I do not disclose. The only other person I will disclose to is my father, and it's a mutual thing cause we act as each others back up a lot.

I learned that I had a Concealed Handgun License from the Clackamas County Sheriff's deputy that pulled me over one evening. He asked me if I had any firearms on me. I told him, "No, I don't have a permit". He told me that the computer said I did... It was in the mail box when I got home. :) If you're driving your own car, they know.

It blows my mind the number of answers I see when ever this question gets asked that reflect "I aint saying nuuffin"

You went through all the hassle of providing documentation. You filled out all the forms and got your prints done. You went down and got your picture taken. Does anyone still really believe that the cops don't know this about you when they run your name?

Orygun's story goes to prove it too, he didn't even have it in his hands yet and the Officer knew lol.

What do you say if you are with a friend and he/she asks you if you are carrying? I am not a fan of advertising to anyone that I have a gun, but not exactly wanting to lie about it either.

Also, if you answer 'yes', the inevitable follow up question is "Can I see it?".

Curious as to thoughts/experiences with this?

Well since the Marion County Sheriff's Dept. denied my CHL because I had an 8 year old DUII and took diversion, my first and only crime ever committed to date, I have to open carry. If you want to know more about the denial, contact me. I would much rather conceal carry and this is the reason why, if they don't see it they cant ask about it. Open carrying a 9mm or 45ACP it is not to often that I don't get asked a question or a comment is made. The comments are mostly derogatory, "Look at that man carrying that HUGE Gun on his belt, who does he think he is RAMBO? Honest to god I was walking through the grocery dept. in Salem Oregon, and a lady made that comment. I stopped and made a quick decision to reply. I turned and walked over to her and said excuse me madam, did you have a concern or question about side arm? No reply, just the look of someone who had the barrel of the 45 pressed firmly to their forehead, which I did not do. I then stated, no I do not think I am RAMBO, if I did I would have my M4A1 over my shoulder. Then I explained, I am disabled, I have had my apartment door kicked in twice, I have been approached on the street by bad people that wanted to do bad things to me, or make me do bad things for them to an innocent person. But since I started open carrying large bore hand guns, I don't have that problem. I keep a Stevens 12GA loaded with 00 Buck right by my front door. Now I am not a gun "NUT" I am a well prepared well trained and well supplied gun owner that can protect himself if the need arises. With the regular response time of almost any Police / Sheriff office responder being what it is these days, 5 to 12 minutes, and the crime takes right at 90 seconds to perpatrate you could be mugged, beaten, Raped, killed or left for dead before the LEO gets there to ask "What happened here? So I don't get to many stupid questions like is that a real gun? Only from young boys who of course want to know all about it and the standard Can I hold it PLEASE!!! I always talk to the kids and tell them, you need to ask your Mom or Dad if it is ok to talk to strangers, if your Mom or Dad tell me it is ok to explain it to you I will, but if Mom or Dad say no, well all I can say is yes it is a real gun, and mind your Mom & Dad.

Last Edited:
All my good friends know not to ask, because they know the answer. None of the people I run into daily are any the wiser.

Occasionally my wife asks; and then I have to give that look that questions her cognitive abilities.

Ask her sometime how much she enjoys that....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top