JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well.... true IF you are driving a car registered to you and IF the officer runs the plate before stepping up to get your license and registration. After he runs your license for warrants I would assume they would know but not necessarily on first contact for a traffic infraction.
I learned that I had a Concealed Handgun License from the Clackamas County Sheriff's deputy that pulled me over one evening. He asked me if I had any firearms on me. I told him, "No, I don't have a permit". He told me that the computer said I did... It was in the mail box when I got home. :) If you're driving your own car, they know.

When I've been pulled over, my permit, driver's license, and other mandatory papers get handed over right off the bat. The permit is on top of the stack and usually gets handed back to me right away with little to no conversation. I find it interesting that it's something that doesn't need to be discussed, as discussion makes it a longer and more complicated interaction. BTW, the pistol registry (WA state) is on another screen the officer has access to, but not all go to the effort to go look at it, so they're not usually aware. Yeah, I usually get a ticket about every three years..
Window down, documents on the dash, both hands on top of steering wheel.

Sub-2000? :)
No, But I would like to get one of those before any stupid legislation takes them away! Ive got a whole bunch of 92FS mags and 33rnd glock mags that could go to either model.

Im actually working on my M85 a little bit.. Ill have pics on the AK picture thread once US machinegun finally ships my back order. A guy on Instagram beat me to it (on his C39) in terms of mounting the Thordsen Device on an AK pistol.

When I've been pulled over, my permit, driver's license, and other mandatory papers get handed over right off the bat ....
Saying it like that sounds like you believe it is MANDATORY to hand over your CC permit.
Not mandatory in WA at all bro. Never been necessary for me to do so either

I hand over my permit, license, insurance papers, etc. I put my RN license card in the stack as well. Haven't gotten a ticket in years. Then again, I try to follow the traffic code within 10MPH and don't seem to attract a lot of attention.

I learned that I had a Concealed Handgun License from the Clackamas County Sheriff's deputy that pulled me over one evening. He asked me if I had any firearms on me. I told him, "No, I don't have a permit". He told me that the computer said I did... It was in the mail box when I got home. :) If you're driving your own car, they know.
Be glad it's not Maryland... they trawl everybody else's databases looking for people to harass when they pass through that hellhole of Anti-Second Amendment Bigotry. Not as bad as Fat Bastard's Nazi Jermany, but close second...

It depends on who is doing the asking. The fact that they're even asking, however, sorta implies that you've already told them something...like you own guns or you have a permit, etc.

However, if it's completely out of the blue, it again, depends on who is asking. Most of my good friends already the situation. For new friends or friends of friends, they will get everything from, "none of your business," to "yes I am carrying."

The question doesn't really bother me unless the person asking is douche. I'm also always happy to try and educate and help people who are looking to get their first gun and I've had several of those types of inquiries over the years.

And as to the, "can I see it," question my response varies. If we're out in public, obviously it's a "no" answer. But if we're at my house and it's genuinely someone who is trying to learn I will show them and/or extend an invitation to talk at a later date.

I was asked once, and replied yes and reached for my keys and pull out the 1 inch titanium blade on it.
They corrected themselves and asked if i was carrying a gun. I told them if they pulled a bigger knife, they can find out for themselves.

knife.jpg

I have never been asked but my answer here in portland will be no. Way too many anti-gun types in my circles and possible drastic negative repercusions. Except for LEO. They tend to not like surprises and I can appreciate that.

This is a good topic, I like reading the responses.

Like many here have stated , it all depends on who is asking , when and where they are asking and what it is they are actually asking ...
Often a polite but firm no nonsense answer will suffice , if you are wanting to avoid unwanted further questions.
Or , again depending on the situation , answering with a "Why are you asking?" question can be helpful.

I find that when I carry I am extra polite and do my level best to avoid being noticed by anyone for anything , it just seems better that way.
Andy

"What country do we live in? Am I under arrest? Therefor I have no need to answer your question."

All my friends have no need to ask beings they know my background. If someone I don't know ask I think to myself, what did I do wrong? or Is this a former student I don't recognize. My stock reply is (for unknowns) why do you think I am carrying? If it gets to the point of can I see it? My reply is, sure, come to the range with me and go from there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top