JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you carry in your house of worship?

• Yes, as part of personal defense.

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Yes, as part of personal defense and as part of a security team.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Have in the past, not now.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No, I don't carry in my house of worship

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No, I don't have a house of worship and/or carry license, so moot point.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Based upon a curious conversation I had with my father, followed by one with my better half, and some recent posts here: do you conceal carry in your house of worship (e.g., church, meetinghouse, synagogue, et al.)? If so, is it personally or part of an organized security team? What do you carry? Thanks for sharing.

Do I have pants on? Then I probably have a gun. This is true for church or the mall or anywhere else. The only exception is places that have metal detectors or other active security. If you ain't looking for it you don't need to know I have it.

Is this another thread about tacos? I mean to answer the one question in the title would answer several about myself. Sorry @CountryGent i couldn't resist a little fun this morning with all of the activities earlier this week. On that note, yes I do carry when I attend church.

Have not been to a service in a good while but, when I was a regular I ALWAYS had one. I could understand the places that did not like people to carry while drinking but, I never could understand what it was about a church that made law makers want to stop people there from being armed. It was as if law makers were hoping to have someone come in to shoot fish in a barrel.

Sadly just as with school "events" it seems like churches are now another target.
I don't regularly attend church, but when I do, I carry. Anywhere that I'm not prohibited I attempt to carry. Too many crazies out there these days that want to harm innocent, defenseless people to risk being unarmed.

Absolutely. I'm not part of the churches organized security team officially but consider myself responsible for the safety and well-being of those around me which includes my house of worship. The tool is a Glock Model 17 or 19.

Yes I do.

That said...
My house of worship ain't a church...it's the outdoors...where I hunt.
I ain't overly religious , but I am in awe of and very respectful of the earth , water and sky of the land around me.
I get more "religion" from experiencing life outside , be it from a rock , a tree or an animal , than I have from any time I have had in a church pew.

And with that said....
For those who do get something of value and worth from a church pew...
I say good for you and treasure those moments.
Andy

Last Edited:
My father mentioned concealed carry in his church and how he is now part of a volunteer security team. Whilst recounting the story to my wife, she mentioned her father did the same, albeit with a different sect and at another location in the state. It also keyed a memory of an acquittance from years ago; an observant Jew, he mentioned carrying a compact Glock at synagogue.

To answer my own question; though I attend most Sundays, no I do not carry within the church, nor foresee changing that practice soon. Though I wouldn't rule it out, as my mind could be changed on that.

And I have no idea what this question could conceivably have to do with tacos, however delicious they may be. I mean, I've never spotted a religious figure in a tortilla or other foodstuff. :s0165:

Yes I do.

That said...
I ain't overly religious , but I am in awe of and very respectful of earth , water and sky of land around me.
I get more "religion" from seeing life outside , be it from a rock , a tree or an animal , than I have from any time I have had in a church pew.

And with that said....
Andy
Well said Andy, my beliefs as well.

My spiritual practice doesn't involve organized religion. But if I did attend a church I would certainly carry there. Churches seem to be a target these days. I believe the best life adds a strong spiritual and ethic practice to hard work, good sense, awareness of reality, and taking responsibility to the extent I am able. If I want a place I go to be safe, I carry there, and help make it so.

If I think my society is seriously flawed I choose one aspect I think I have the knowledge, interest, and ability to influence, and work on improving that. As for all the other aspects of my society that are also flawed, I don't worry about them. There are lots of others working on those. I don't have to do it all. Nor do I need to finish my chosen task myself. Or even be able to foresee all possible necessary parts of the solution. One rock can start an avalanche. Courage inspires courage. There are now thousands who were influenced by me, some of whom have already inspired thousands more. We've achieved a lot already. We will achieve even more in the future, far beyond my own life .

When the British invaded and occupied Boston, the Virginian assembly met to discuss what, if anything, they should do. After a certain amount of argument that went nowhere, one Virginian planter stood and spoke (approximately) thus: "I will myself at my own expense recruit and outfit and arm a thousand men, and ride at their head to the aid of Boston." George Washington and a privately raised troop of a thousand did not a successful revolution make. But Washington's individual example of taking individual responsibility turned the tide for Virginia. It was a start .

Yes I do.

That said...
I ain't overly religious , but I am in awe of and very respectful of earth , water and sky of land around me.
I get more "religion" from seeing life outside , be it from a rock , a tree or an animal , than I have from any time I have had in a church pew.

And with that said....
Andy
Yep I'm with Andy, we'll put sir

ui_ilikepie.JPG
I would hope that everyone has the choice to protect themselves, wherever they are...
...definitely need protection from thems pie covetin' folk.

I only obtained my CHL about 8 years ago. I carried in church, but my wife felt rather conflicted about my doing so. Something about church, respect, guns, blah blah blah and suggested I discuss it with the pastor to gauge his feelings on the matter. I asked rather directly how he felt about firearms in his church. He looked me in the eye and said without hesitation "bring 'em if you got 'em". We've now gone shooting a few times, took his boys out shooting clay pigeons and yes, I still carry every Sunday.

Part of the church security team. Had a 2 hour meeting today to review our policy & procedures with volunteer staff in the nursery and toddler area. Covering what to do in case of earthquake, fire, protests, active shooter, etc. Some doors are locked to entry after services start, 32 high res cameras inside and out, security and ushers all on the same team, multiple nurses in congregation, AED/1st Aid kits in both buildings, parking lot patrols, and so on.

I am not opposed to carrying how or where you wish...
Nor am I overly concerned with the reasons why.

However...
The idea that one may have a reason...a well founded reason at that...to carry while attending a house of worship...
Speaks volumes about our so-called society.

Again...
I ain't religious ....and my views of religion are simple....
If you are getting something positive from the experience...and what you are doing ain't harming you or others...
Then no one should stop you from doing so...or tell you that you are wrong for doing as you see fit.

Of course ...
Life would be so much simpler if many other things along with religion were viewed this way.
However that ain't meant to be.
Andy

To answer my own question; though I attend most Sundays, no I do not carry within the church, nor foresee changing that practice soon. Though I wouldn't rule it out, as my mind could be changed on that.
Curious as to why? If your open to sharing... If not, that is completely understood and respected.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top