JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Right now this is my favorite lady. G35.

db406166-8830-4b8b-bc22-4731fa49a88c.jpg

Easy: my Draco SBR with a fixed Romanian trunnion and wire folding stock converted by Tim at Copeland Custom Gun Works in Estecada, OR.

This little package kicks much arse.

20200712_112230.jpg

No...Do not do this.

A Mossberg 142-A is a .22LR rifle...Bullet diameter for the .22LR is .223
Bullet diameter for the .22Magnum is .224.
Andy

I believe both are .224. I have a revolver that has cylinders for both.

You can do it. You have to rechamber the gun as 22 mag cases are fatter and longer of course and the rim thicker. The .001" isnt the issue.

This is the issue. It's going to be both difficult and dangerous to try to force the magnum into a 22LR chamber.

I hated mine at first but now after the bugs have been worked out I am with you .
Sorry you had bugs, I have four Ruger 22 MK pistols, tens of thousands of rounds through them, and have only had a single issue that wasn't in me. Somehow one of the pins that hold all the guts together on my MK2 22/45 broke and it was a journey for a new one, Ruger was a huge help but my particular configuration was a weird one and it took several attempts to get correct one. Glad you got any bugs worked out on yours. Have fun!

I'd be worried about the pressures of the Magnum combined with the difference in diameters! Not worth it to me!
To be clear, the gun came from the factory with a .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinder. I ordered it that way. The instructions specifically said the gun can be used with both. I've had no issues with it.

EDIT: I got curious and did some searching. Some sites say .223/.224 but I found a video from a fellow who measured several different brands of .22LR and he found bullet diameters from .221 to .224. I may look into it further later.

Last Edited:
To be clear, the gun came from the factory with a .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinder. I ordered it that way. The instructions specifically said the gun can be used with both. I've had no issues with it.
I suspected that was the case, I was referring to the other guy. My Ruger Single Six .22 has both cylinders as well, and it's fun as hell to shoot!

I suspected that was the case, I was referring to the other guy. My Ruger Single Six .22 has both cylinders as well, and it's fun as hell to shoot!
Ah, OK that makes sense.

Just to be super clear I'm going to tag @Fbarley and mention that none of what I said above was meant to negate earlier advice. Don't try it!

That said, if you want more velocity CCI makes some high-velocity .22 ammo that's pretty good quality:

Mini-Mag: 40 gr at 1235 FPS
Stinger: 32 gr at 1640 FPS
Velocitor: 40 gr at 1435 FPS

That should make the Velocitor the hardest hitting of the bunch if I have my math right. To give you an idea how it compares to 22 Magnum, their 22WMR weighs 40 gr and goes 1875 FPS. So not bad.

EDIT: I looked up the KE formula, and my guesstimation was off by a little.

Kinetic Energy in pounds / feet:

Mini-Mag: 135.444024358567
Stinger: 191.0748894962
Velocitor: 182.86464033816

So the winner is the Stinger. It doesn't look like much but at those lighter weights, it may be a noticeable difference. Unless the lighter bullet over-penetrates or makes a big mess, it should be the right one.

The formula, for those who wonder, is weight in grains times speed in FPS squared divided by 450437.

($weight * ($speed * $speed)) / 450437

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews