JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The definition of "stockpile" to the news reporters is any amount over 5 rounds. The definition, to the ATFE, seems to be right around 50 rounds. The definition, to one guy I know, is several thousand rounds... of several different cartridges.

for me pistol ammo 45 acp and 9
long gun I have to go with 3 , 30/06 , 45/70, and 308 ...... 45/70 because I have the rifle and a BFR revolver in 45/70 sighted in at 100 yards so I get 2 for one on that

I have exactly 743 .177 cal BB's for both rifle and pistol. I also have 3 fully charged CO2 cartridges. If the SHTF, I am well prepared to give out some nasty stinging welts that you won't soon forget :p

I always stockpile about 2 mags worth of hollow points for my rifle (5.56) and another 2 mags worth for my pistol.

I never understood why anyone needed 1000 rounds of FMJ, when you could do the same thing with 10 rounds of hollow points.

My personal stash has always been about feeding the guns I own and/or use. Back in the day when we still carried revolvers, that meant 38 SPC and 357 mag. Then when I was in the Guard, we obviously shot a lot of 9 mm, so although I didn't own a 9, I kept a decent amount on hand to shoot when I could. When my employer switched to 40, so did I in terms of buying ammo.
I never stocked a whole lot of 22 rimfire, thinking it would always be readily available. The last few years have proven me wrong so I have quite a bit more of that stashed than I ever did in the past.
Rifle-wise, .223/ 5.56 would be the dominant round. Some 7.62, but not a lot. I sold the M1 carbine in the divorce so I wound up giving all of that ammo to friends who still could use it.
The employer did away with 12 gauge except as less lethal guns, but I still have so 12 and 20 gauge shotguns so I still keep that on hand.
Being an FFL, if anything major happened I envision that my shelves would be bare pretty quick. While I am fairly small in sales volume, my regulars know I keep a decent supply of ammo on hand for what most would consider a tabletop operation...

I do this.....
stock•pile

(ˈstɒkˌpaɪl)
n., v. -piled, -pil•ing. n.
1. a supply of an essential material held in reserve, esp. for use during a shortage.
v.t.
2. to accumulate for future use; put or store in a stockpile.
v.i.
3. to accumulate in a stockpile.

Lake-Louise-10115-smallTabletRetina.jpg

In the past I belong to several SHTF sites that I posted somewhat heavy on and each one I asked the question what ammo do you stock pile?

I do not care about the quantity that you stock pile I just want to know your top 2 hand gun and the top two rifle calibers. The reasoning is if a "True SHTF" were to happen will ammo be available for the calibers I have for possible trade.

I mean if I am the only guy with a 5.7x28 and nobody else has it listed as a main caliber it may not be a good choice as a first line firearm in a SHTF because when I deplete or cannot get to my stash location for whatever reason then the firearm I have becomes worthless without resupply.

You can list more than the top two as some may have two calibers with equal status and quantity stocked if you wish just put them in order of most rounds stocked to least.

I know this forum is not heavy into the SHTF but looking at some of the past post in this section there is defiantly some interest. You never know some of us here may have to pool our resources to survive some day.

Optional question is why you stock that caliber in particular.

What ammo do you stock pile?

Pistol ammo:
9mm

For the most part all I run is 9mm from a number of firearm manufactures and the reason is NATO, Canada, Mexico and the US military all run it so I feel it is the most readily available and also price point.

Rifle ammo:
5.56/7.62x39

I have equal amounts of each in 5.56/7.62x39. The 5.56 as stated above NATO, Canada, Mexico and the US military all run it so I feel it is the most readily available and also price point. The 7.62x39 is something I got into a number of years back as it is harder hitting and ammo and guns at the time where cheap and reliable.

The .308 I keep a small supply of a couple thousand rounds more for hunting. Not my go to gun.

I'm a martial arts instructor. Martial arts is part of my prepping, it's all survival. I'm a budget prepper. I'm a small guy 5'2" and small hands, so I get what I feel comfortable with and I can afford. I have a Ruger 1-22 rifle and I try my best to find and buy .22lr CCI with a copper head.
They're hard to find in small quantities which is what I can afford, yet before the price went up, I've manage to save 1,000 rounds. I have 25 round magazines. handgun--Ruger .380 LCP.
I have basically CCI, but if I have to, I'll bend over and purchase what I can find. The hard part is finding copper coated at low throat cut prices. I have 700 rounds. I concentrate on my food and other survival items. In another two months I'll buy 100 rounds of handgun or rifle, probably handgun. I think one should have at least 1,000 (my opinion and the one that counts) rounds if the SHTF. Then slowly save above that amount and if you have 5 or 10,000 rounds if the SHTF, then great. The worse that had happen, is when you're very old you can sell at the boxs at a damn good price. They have found ammo a hundred years old that still fires. One thing you do that I don't. I don't waste money shooting 500 or more rounds every weekend. To me that is not prepping, that is a gun hobby. I'll get my practice when the rush the house. I'm a loner so I won't pool my ammo with anyone, for the simple reason that others may have only 100 or 400 rounds and I come up with my 1,000 to 5,000 rounds, no way. It's all mine.
Sifu

Only stock thousands of rounds of .22 LR.
Everything else I reload.
Stock 35-40 Lbs of various powder, thousands of various primers, thousands of various bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top