JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I stockpile handguns in the most popular (read: available during ammo shortages or civil disorder) calibers, in order to have something to shoot. Otherwise, I'd have an oddly shaped metal/plastic "rock" to throw at attackers and animals. Not quite there with my rifle collection, but working on it.

Pistol: 9 mm, .40, .45, .357
Rifle: .308, 5.56, .22 (gotta eat, too!)
All some sort of HP or ARX, because they're going to be used for defense or meat.

Canned in #10 cans is

500rnds 5.56
500rnds .40 S&W
Assorted (guessing maybe 150rnds) 12 gauge
440rnds of 7.62x54R (in stock Russian "SPAM" can)

Rest I rotate in stock...I forget about the #10 cans as I basically don't count them in my total stock because they are really, really for SHTF when I'm completely out of ammo...the #10 can preserves it from corrosion and keeps me from messing with it...I try to keep about 1K of each major caliber on hand (7.62x39, 5.56, .40 S&W, .45ACP, etc.). Right now I'm low on .308, 9mm and .45 ACP but have 5.56 coming out my nose...I just basically try to get deals when I can and when I see a box, I grab it.

Canned in #10 cans is

500rnds 5.56
500rnds .40 S&W
Assorted (guessing maybe 150rnds) 12 gauge
440rnds of 7.62x54R (in stock Russian "SPAM" can)

Rest I rotate in stock...I forget about the #10 cans as I basically don't count them in my total stock because they are really, really for SHTF when I'm completely out of ammo...the #10 can preserves it from corrosion and keeps me from messing with it...I try to keep about 1K of each major caliber on hand (7.62x39, 5.56, .40 S&W, .45ACP, etc.). Right now I'm low on .308, 9mm and .45 ACP but have 5.56 coming out my nose...I just basically try to get deals when I can and when I see a box, I grab it.

Dude, that is an awesome idea, putting ammo in #10 cans and sealing it up for long term storage,especially the shotgun loads! I have to steal this idea, it's too good not to! Sorry! LOL

For me its .530 round ball , 2F powder and #11 caps. :)
( 'cause I'm weird that way LOL )
In modern cartridges it is : .45 acp , .30-06 and .22lr.
Which is kinda funny as those cartridges ain't too modern LOL!
But since most of my guns are muzzleloaders they do seem "high tech".
Guess its just a matter of where you are looking from.
Andy

Hey Andy, what caps/ powder would you suggest for .36 replica Colt Navy?
I recently found what once was lost and need to get with the program with is, also, who makes a bullet mold?
Brutus Out

It doesn't really matter. Either make sure you have multiple guns in each caliber/gauge you stockpile...or stockpile the ammo of the multiple guns you have. And when you have "enough" of something, move on to another caliber and get a few guns and a pile of ammo for the new caliber. Then move on to the next one. It doesn't have to be done today, but it has to get done...over time.

For me, the same 4 or 5 that everyone else stockpiles!

Hey Andy, what caps/ powder would you suggest for .36 replica Colt Navy?
I recently found what once was lost and need to get with the program with is, also, who makes a bullet mold?
Brutus Out
Brutus,
I'd use #10 caps , 20-25 grains of 3F , .36 caliber felt over wad and a .375 round ball.
( some revolvers use #11 caps and a .350 round ball )
Lyman and Lee both make a .375 and a .350 round ball mould.
If 3F is hard to get , 2F will work as well ...
Andy

Some times a #10 cap might not fit properly. Also, Replacement nipples may be needed depending on your fit and any issues! I have run into this a few times with different arms. Mostly I can force a #10 cap over an over size nipple, but on one of my arms, I had to have a new set of nipples made so I could use the standard caps! Depending on the arm, this can run into money!

By the way, here are my goals:

10,000 22lr (various loads, half hunting, half plinking)
5,000 of your chosen battle rifle (half battle quality, half plinking)
1,500 of each major handgun caliber you want (500 JHP, 1000 FMJ)
1,000 shotgun (some hunting, some plinking, some self defense)

If you compete in any of the shooting sports, you'll probably want a lot more of your competition caliber(s), too. But this is just a good rule of thumb that I'm trying to follow. These sorts of numbers take time, especially since shooting is so fun and we all want to shoot some of it.

I borrowed the canner from a Mormon cannery...and no, I'm not Mormon.

The LDS canneries are now home storage centers.

NO LONGER RENT CANNER
– The canner will no longer be available for home or personal use to can your own items.

Looks like there are only a dozen or so full service canning centers left, the other 89 centers carry only pre-packaged/canned items... Boo!

Of the dozen or so full service canning centers, most are primarily in Utah:

These will continue to allow for self-canning and provide bulk food items:

• Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
  • Mesa, Arizona
  • Boise, Idaho
  • Idaho Falls, Idaho
  • Carrollton, Texas
  • Lindon, Utah
  • Logan, Utah
  • Ogden, Utah
  • Salt Lake City, Utah (Welfare Square)
  • Sandy, Utah
  • Springville, Utah
  • St. George, Utah

--I might just vacuum pack a bit of ammo (foodsaver), with an oxygen absorber & put it in an ammo can.

Last Edited:
I have enough components to build 20k or so rounds. Mostly 300 BO, 45 ACP and 45 Colt because thats what most of my guns are. Loaded ammo no more that 2K of each at a time. A few thousand commercial 9mm and .22 but if it ever got so bad that I was carrying the Luger or a .22 the S must have really hit the Fan.

Definitely 22lr....it can kill anything you need with the right shot placement(I've killed every big game animal, besides a elk in the pnw with a 22....legally of course)22 is light and one can carry lots of rounds. Will probably make for good trading stock when shtf

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top