JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So there have been 3 reports of an older black bronco shooting pedestrians with either a "pellet gun" or "clay ball gun" (I assume they mean paintball but I don't know) near me.

So here is a hypothetical q, if u were walking ur young kid and they got shot by this vehicle, what would be an appropriate response?

Fwiw the latest report of kid shot was at 6pm and person reported to police and they eventually showed up in the late evening (I'm surprised they showed up at all tbh).

Also fwiw one person reported it was adults not kids doing the shooting.

Also fwiw the people getting shot sound like regular folks, not squatters or similar.

Last Edited:
Good quality cameras, both fixed security type and hand-held, with enough pixels to get the license plate and hopefully a good enough view of the driver and/or shooter to identify them.

Beyond that, you are on thin ice.

Good quality cameras, both fixed security type and hand-held, with enough pixels to get the license plate and hopefully a good enough view of the driver and/or shooter to identify them.

Beyond that, you are on thin ice.
Interesting thought thx! I do have a pocket camera that has a 40x zoom that could take zoomed in video. The issue I see though would be getting it out in time. The lady that made the last report said it was at 6pm (which I think may be dark now) and vehicle had its lights off and came up behind them on a main road.

I suppose if enough people got video then that may add up to something in terms of evidence. Getting the cops to do something about it though, despite having video evidence, is another HUGE problem though. Fe see below:

If you can get pictures, post them on next door and other similar web sites. someone will recognize the vehicle and or driver. then those fine folks can swear out assault charges. personal lawsuits for PTSD seem to be the rage on the left! turn the lefts tactics against this guy and it will deter others.

So here is a hypothetical q, if u were walking ur young kid and they got shot by this vehicle, what would be an appropriate response?
Can pellet, bb, paintball guns be lethal? What about "loss of limb" such as an eye? Is it reasonable to automatically assume that anyone shooting a gun at you is a non lethal gun?

So there have been 3 reports of an older black bronco shooting pedestrians with either a "pellet gun" or "clay ball gun" (I assume they mean paintball but I don't know) near me.

Fwiw the latest report of kid shot was at 6pm and person reported to police and they eventually showed up in the late evening (I'm surprised they showed up at all tbh).

Also fwiw one person reported it was adults not kids doing the shooting.

Also fwiw the people getting shot sound like regular folks, not squatters or similar.
for the record, if I am walking down a rd at night with people I love and a vehicle rolls up on us with its lights out and someone points a gun of unknown type out the window? I hope I never have to make that call...I would not want to shoot them over an airsoft but waiting = dying.

If I see a gun hanging out a vehicle window and it looks real…. Well I'll leave it at that (I could care less if it's a BB gun/airsoft/paintball). And if I had a child and we were walking the street I would be placing myself in-between the child and the street (just like I do when walking with my wife). Always aware of what is around me/behind me. Vehicle description. Suspect description. Plate (except that's become rare and not enforced in PDX). Call police.

People have been killed by being shot by pellet guns. My concern would be walking down the street and somebody sticks a gun out of their car and there's no way you can tell whether it's real or fake or a pellet gun.

However, if you or your kid gets shot by the time you realize what is going on, the driver/shooter will likely/hopefully be speeding away. The question, however, is what to do if they come back?

I can say personally that I would not want to have to convince a jury that a pellet gun posed a deadly threat. That's going to be a hard sell for some people. Accordingly I would likely try to run and/or take cover if they decided to come back.

All of this is assuming you actually realize it's a pellet gun. This is the stupidity and danger of this kind of crap. If I'm on a jury because the defendant saw the gun and thought it was real, I will be voting to acquit him.

If I'm walking down the street and I hear a loud pop and feel a sharp ouch, I'm going to assume I've just been shot for real and act accordingly. Maybe that means lie down and cry myself to sleep. But all the same. :confused:

I can say personally that I would not want to have to convince a jury that a pellet gun posed a deadly threat. That's going to be a hard sell for some people.
one would have to have a completely inept lawyer to not be able to convince a jury a pellet gun poses a deadly threat.

PY-4659_Glock-G19-177-Caliber_1526931676.jpg

People have been killed by being shot by pellet guns. My concern would be walking down the street and somebody sticks a gun out of their car and there's no way you can tell whether it's real or fake or a pellet gun.

However, if you or your kid gets shot by the time you realize what is going on, the driver/shooter will likely/hopefully be speeding away. The question, however, is what to do if they come back?

I can say personally that I would not want to have to convince a jury that a pellet gun posed a deadly threat. That's going to be a hard sell for some people. Accordingly I would likely try to run and/or take cover if they decided to come back.

All of this is assuming you actually realize it's a pellet gun. This is the stupidity and danger of this kind of crap. If I'm on a jury because the defendant saw the gun and thought it was real, I will be voting to acquit him.
Yea there was a member here who posted just a few days ago about a nutjob who pulled the trigger on him and it turned out to be a bb gun. But no way to know until you are shot by it. If it was a bright orange nerf gun then sure a person could tell it was not a real gun but like others said above they look absolutely identical now.

A couple things I'm hearing is that the timing is important. FE if you see someone driving at night with their lights off and they point a gun at you it's reasonable to think that's a deadly threat. You would have no way to know it's not a real gun if it is a look-alike.

But if the timing were different, say after they already shot you with it and its a paintball gun/whatever, then your options are much more limited legally speaking it seems to me.

I feel bad for the lady whose kid was shot (and the two other people too). Not sure what the right solution is other than to specifically ID the vehicle for starters and be wary of any older black Ford bronco that drives by (very rare to see here).

Last Edited:
But if the timing were different, say after they already shot you with it and its a paintball gun/whatever, then your options are much more limited legally speaking it seems to me.
I would agree with this, its frustrating though because a BB/paintball gun could take an eye out yet once a person knows its not a real gun their legal response is more limited. One could argue self defense of limb, possibly if the shooter continued to fire at you but I wouldnt take action if it was just a random shot that scored a hit.

I would agree with this, its frustrating though because a BB/paintball gun could take an eye out yet once a person knows its not a real gun their legal response is more limited. One could argue self defense of limb, possibly if the shooter continued to fire at you but I wouldnt take action if it was just a random shot that scored a hit.
Yea I'm not a lawyer but seems to me you could legally still use force to stop the attack once you know its' not a real gun, but not deadly force (In OR). The fact that they are in a moving vehicle and you are walking (in this scenario I mean) really limits your options though. It's a tough one that I'm trying to get my head around. If you could call 911 and get a response within a reasonable time frame then it would be a whole different deal but that is simply not realistic at all here (sounds like the lady did just that and eventually got a visit later that night by police).

We need to invent a vehicle-stopping EMP, or taser, that fits in your pocket and works at distance! :p

People have been shot because they pointed toy guns at police. Car pulls up, its dark, but you start hearing pops and start experiencing things whizzing past you coming from a vehicle - a reasonable person could construe you were being targeted in a drive by shooting and shoot back to defend yourself.

The other option suffer because the law doesn't mean crap anymore.

The other option suffer because the law doesn't mean crap anymore.
That's the truth. Where else can you have homeless squatters shooting real bullets at public employees and no one even bothers to arrest them? -referring to the post in off topic section about squatters and drainage district.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top