JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From FLIR. I've never seen the temperatures on a bullet measured in flight before. Wow! Note the heating of the tip, the friction of the rifling, and the base from the burning propellant.

1714068906245.png

Edit: NASA is constantly concerned (or should be) with the ceramic tiles on the shuttles. I see that shuttle re-entry speed is 17,500 MPH/about 25,600 FPS, so a 'tad bit' more heat generated there, even in the stratosphere. Nevertheless, we are nearer sea level and so the air is generally pretty dense.
Decades ago, I think it was Skeeter Skelton or Jon Sundra who loaded some 30-40 grain 22 Hornet varmint bullets into a .220 Swift at max velocity. He noted some smoke about 25 yards from the muzzle and soon realized the the bullets were powdering from the heat and air resistance.

I made a comment about defensive bullet cauterizing the wounds, but also wonder if you shot small enough game with a heated bullet, would it be fully cooked by the time you reached it?

Last Edited:
Edit: NASA is constantly concerned (or should be) with the ceramic tiles on the shuttles. I see that shuttle re-entry speed is 17,500 MPH/about 25,600 FPS, so a 'tad bit' more heat generated there, even in the stratosphere. Nevertheless, we are nearer sea level and so the air is generally pretty dense.
Decades ago, I think it was Skeeter Skelton or Jon Sundra who loaded some 30-40 grain 22 Hornet varmint bullets into a .220 Swift at max velocity. He noted some smoke about 25 yards from the muzzle and soon realized the the bullets were powdering from the heat and air resistance.

I made a comment about defensive bullet cauterizing the wounds, but also wonder if you shot small enough game with a heated bullet, would it be fully cooked by the time you reached it?

You need an AR15 for that. :)

You need an AR15 for that. :)
That wouldn't work at all. A single round from an AR15 blows a human sized body in half and will completely decapitate a head. There wouldn't be enough bullet dwell time in the body to measure the rate/degree of cook capable.

In addition to knowing nothing about guns, this ahole doesn't know jack about PTSD. PTSD is a disorder. You don't have it for a few hours or days. The "temporary form" of PTSD is PTS ya frikin' halfwit.
Poor baby bwoosed his widdle shoulder... awwww.... 🍼

"Kuntzman". That explains a lot.:s0140:

Last Edited:
Strangely enough, I've never wondered about the temperature of my bullets while in flight. As long as they got "there" was good enough for the moment, I guess.

The next time someone uses an AR-15 for defensive purposes, they should question their assailant to rate their experience concerning the heat of the projectile during flight: (1) did not significantly contribute to the seriousness of their wound to (10) significantly contributed to the seriousness of the wound.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top