JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty good video Imo with legal analysis by an attorney (james reeves the youtube creator) and some detail such as prosecutors arguments in court.

For the meatier parts skip to the 5:06 mark

Last Edited:
Remember he was not acquitted of all charges

Jury Convicts Alan Colie of Discharging a Firearm Within an Occupied Building. The judge will hear motions filed by the defense and determine if the jury's verdict will be upheld. If the verdict is upheld, Judge Snow will impose a sentence within the law, one to five years in prison, or up to 12 months in jail and/or a $2500.00 fine.

Remember he was not acquitted of all charges

Jury Convicts Alan Colie of Discharging a Firearm Within an Occupied Building. The judge will hear motions filed by the defense and determine if the jury's verdict will be upheld. If the verdict is upheld, Judge Snow will impose a sentence within the law, one to five years in prison, or up to 12 months in jail and/or a $2500.00 fine.
Good point! But prosecutor was going for malicious wounding (or whatever the name of it is) which has minimum of 20 years in prison and max of life (according to reeves) so that was the biggie.

I'm surprised he was acquitted of malicious wounding, and would have loved to have been present at the trial.

I suspect the size difference was what was taken into consideration here: The YouTuber towers over the delivery man and is invading his personal space.

This is a time pepper spray or even a stun gun would be preferable to a firearm. It would likely have saved the defendant any charges.

I've seen too many videos and read too many police reports of officers deploying, stun guns or mace and still being shot, stabbed or beaten or the suspect managing to get away to EVER try that without backup

I've seen too many videos and read too many police reports of officers deploying, stun guns or mace and still being shot, stabbed or beaten or the suspect managing to get away to EVER try that without backup
Why use pepper spray without a gun as backup? Pepper spray is a non-lethal tool in the toolbox in addition to gun imo.

So what exactly are you saying?
That "he should have just pepper sprayed / used a stun gun on him" is poor tactics when you are alone and an even worse plan when there are multiple potential attackers.

Why use pepper spray without a gun as backup? Pepper spray is a non-lethal tool in the toolbox in addition to gun imo.
Because "Two is one and one is none" and I only have the normal number of hands and if I am all alone without another person for back up tying one of them up with a less lethal option that has a track record less than 100% strikes me as a bad idea.

So shoot him instead? I guess I'm not following your train of thought.
Short answer: Yes, shoot him

Longer answer: I don't think that you should just go around shooting everyone that makes you feel a bit uncomfortable, but in this case and watching the video I would have voted for acquittal, and as I said before, I don't see why I have to get hurt a little bit to prove that I could have been hurt a lot.
Pepper spray and stun guns aren't magical less lethal wands that make the problem go away, especially when there is more than one person threatening you.

ETA: The "They could have used a less lethal option for self defence" comes up from the anti-gun folks from time to time and it's frustrating that even when presented with video evidence of big, strong healthy LEO's getting shot, stabbed or just in general having a very bad day after using a less lethal option some of the anti-gun folks will STILL say that is only option anyone should have regardless of physical size, ability or age.

Last Edited:
So what exactly are you saying?
Don't worry. They would be the first one supporting a "only 4-5 block riot" in Portland if a cop went straight to his gun before using non lethal or trying to deescalate the situation. Especially for someone following with their cell phone extended and both hands completely visible with no intent shown or voiced action of violence.

If the shooter was LE or Military conducted themself that way over seas we would be reading about war crimes and a power hungry/scared cop that deserves to rot in prison.

A bit hypocritical if I do say so myself.

So we can just Willy Nilly shoot someone cause we are "uncomfortable" in the PUBLIC but a cop will be crucified if he does the same…..

I wish I would have got the opportunity to sit on that jury.

Men in America are getting more pathetic by the day.

Stay at home with the parents. It's safer there.

We need to reinforce bullying (for both parties in the video) and I courage physical altercations (no weapons) to resolve conflict. Everyone is so fast to solve their "problem" with a gun.

What if the "prankster" was a shade darker? What would the tune sound like then? The Marine was charged with murder for protecting people on a train in NY and this little gremlin gets acquitted for shooting someone cause he was nervous and no one was in danger…..

Our justice system is a clown show.

Last Edited:
I was on the USCCA web site, where it looks like USCCA declined to cover Colie's legal fees. Any opinions about USCCA in light of that?

I was on the USCCA web site, where it looks like USCCA declined to cover Colie's legal fees. Any opinions about USCCA in light of that?
No clue how they work. I have to "guess" when you buy coverage from them you sign a disclaimer? Probably a pretty long one? Anyone have a copy of it NOT some YT video of someone talking about it? "Suspect" that if read it would most likely be clear why they did not pay but again, have not read what you sign up for with them. I have insurance on my vehicles, on the place I live, on my life, ALL of them have a rather detailed system for how they pay IF they pay.

I don't have "carry insurance." I also don't have the emotional control of a 2 year old.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top