JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Kind of interesting. This is a Cobray or RPB silencer that I built with a new tube. All NOS parts. Ive never seen one like it but I have like 20 of the kits. . It was called an AK 22 silencer when they were developed for the Squire Bingam 22 cal AK. Those things were butt ugly and only somewhat superficially resembled a real AK but 45 years ago you didn't have a lot of choices and they were convertible to FA.. . The threading was 1/2-20 and these silencers are as well. I ended up with all the MAC/Cobray/RPB etc parts and some of it is quite odd. I'm sending this one into Otter Creek for testing just to see what it will do . Making a 1/2-20 to 1/2-28 adapter tomorrow.

Lots of eyelets, lots of wipes. lots of volume. Thats how silencers were back in the day.

IMG_3013.JPG IMG_3011.JPG

I would suspect that the 1910s era Maxim rimfire cans would be better performers than those 1970s era MAC/Sionics type cans.

I would suspect that the 1910s era Maxim rimfire cans would be better performers than those 1970s era MAC/Sionics type cans.
There's really been 3 stages of development with silencers.
The first being Maxims original design. Those were chambered but with very loose bores annd high volume . All but abandoned for years . The closest DNA today being monocores which are very poor performers.
Then there were Mitch Werbells MAC designs inspired by WW2 era screen wrapped suppressors which relied on porting of barrels or extensions and used aluminum raschig ring type media like you find in wet scrubbers to let the gasses expand and cool. They were essentially big heat sinks. They work great even surpassing modern designs but they're huge and once the wipes are shot out they get loud.
Now we have variations on Dr Daters reactive baffle designs that use the power of the expanding gases to disrupt the laminar air flow through the suppressor. They can be significantly smaller than the other designs.

I have a couple of lathes . One is an old 4000 lb WW2 Hendey that I've rebuilt. It's my workhorse for large stuff and it threads wonderfully. The other is a small Tormach 8L CNC that does most of my smaller (small tube) and silencer parts building. I also have a Rebuilt Bridgeport mill with considerable amounts of indexes and tooling . A couple of hundred grand in equipment and I know how to use it all :)

I have a couple of lathes . One is an old 4000 lb WW2 Hendey that I've rebuilt. It's my workhorse for large stuff and it threads wonderfully. The other is a small Tormach 8L CNC that does most of my smaller (small tube) and silencer parts building. I also have a Rebuilt Bridgeport mill with considerable amounts of indexes and tooling . A couple of hundred grand in equipment and I know how to use it all :)
:s0152:
Highly respect those who are artists in their own rights, taking raw materials and turning them into finished products.

As for me, just a platform/software engineer, with nothing physical or tangible to show for my efforts. It's all bits and bytes, in the eather…

"According to Al Paulson, the 1909 Maxim measured 4.88 inches in overall length by 1.35 inches in diameter. The main tube is a scant 4.55 inches in length. ….According to Al Paulson, the unit turned in a respectable 118 dB sound level when tested with 40-grain subsonic .22 LR ammunition on a pistol. "

I sold my Paulson books years ago, so I had to go a-Googlin' for my recollection of pretty dern good performance by H. Maxim with his stamped baffles and eccentric design. 118 dB off a probably long barreled pistol, as measured by Paulson. That ain't bad, at all, and isn't super high volume.

"According to Al Paulson, the 1909 Maxim measured 4.88 inches in overall length by 1.35 inches in diameter. The main tube is a scant 4.55 inches in length. ….According to Al Paulson, the unit turned in a respectable 118 dB sound level when tested with 40-grain subsonic .22 LR ammunition on a pistol. "

I sold my Paulson books years ago, so I had to go a-Googlin' for my recollection of pretty dern good performance by H. Maxim with his stamped baffles and eccentric design. 118 dB off a probably long barreled pistol, as measured by Paulson. That ain't bad, at all, and isn't super high volume.
Decibel numbers are one of those things you have to take with a grain of salt especially old ones where the testing regimen may have been different and the equipment may have been different. The numbers are pretty much meaningless.

Ok. Does this mean you don't know about Paulson or that that the equipment and MIL-STD-1474D procedures he used are not relevant to what you are referencing?

"Brüel and Kjaer Model 2209 Impulse Precision Sound meter with a B&K Type 4136 1/4 inch pressure type microphone; or a Larson Davis Model 800-B meter with Model 2530-1133 random incidence microphone. The meters were set to Peak Hold and "A" weighting, with the microphones placed 1.00 meter to the left of the muzzle or front of the sound suppressor."

Ok. Does this mean you don't know about Paulson or that that the equipment and MIL-STD-1474D procedures he used are not relevant to what you are referencing?

"Brüel and Kjaer Model 2209 Impulse Precision Sound meter with a B&K Type 4136 1/4 inch pressure type microphone; or a Larson Davis Model 800-B meter with Model 2530-1133 random incidence microphone. The meters were set to Peak Hold and "A" weighting, with the microphones placed 1.00 meter to the left of the muzzle or front of the sound suppressor."
I know all about Paulson. Its widely known in the industry that metered tests done at the same time , same atmospheric conditions, same gun, lots of ammo , same equipment same setup are relevant. Otherwise not so much.

I build silencers. I have had them metered . I know what those numbers are but I dont tell anyone because dB numbers are misleading if not done with all the above considerations back to back. I know mine meter better than a dead air mask because it was done at the same time as a dead air mask. I dont go around spouting off said numbers because they might or might not be done the same way as someone else runs the test.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR