JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To "be up to it", or not, is the way of "it". lulz
The big thing these days is to do high-intensity interval training (HIIT).. it actually affects the mitochondria.
Just do/try to do as hard as you can of whatever for a couple minutes with a few minutes of essentially coasting followed by repeat by four or five.
boner and profit!

Only one alternative to getting older...no thanks for now...:D

OK, you've had your wake-up call.

I cut some maple yesterday; I could barely move last night. Sure, I over-did-it...I'll have it no other way...with my history, I have no business going at it that hard from 2 months of reading and walking in the park.

View attachment 427726

Growing older each year; being a typical logistical asymptote; we have to establish the new baseline each year...to be our current best.

Well done; you're that much further ahead of those who are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

:cool:
Who the heck are you calling an asymptote!?!?;)

Brutus Out

Lots of good advice given in this thread, some of which I need to take myself. I belonged to a gym for years and let the membership lapse, which was probably a mistake. But, the company I work for built a very nice workout room with some expensive equipment - treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, weight machine, free weights - even put in mirrors so you can watch your form and some posters of exercises, etc. for info. We've got onsite showers too. And it's all free - I can use it any time, even use part of my work day to do it -it's considered a perk of the job and is highly encouraged for all employees. Really no excuse other than just getting started. Got my old gym bag out about 2 weeks ago and cleaning it up to help get myself back in the mindset of exercising regularly again.

Question for those of you that do regular exercise on machines: I like the elliptical for cardio, but, I start getting pain in my hips after using them for a while. Might just be my build, joints, etc. but curious if anyone has thoughts on that. I don't normally have hip pain or joint issues (thankfully) in knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, but the elliptical brings it out in my hips. Maybe just a machine I can't use? Thoughts?

As to the SHTF part of the question, my main goal is to get home and stay home in an SHTF scenario. I far prefer bugging in to bugging out. So my biggest obstacle is getting home if I'm away from home when it, whatever 'it' is, happens. I know I can hike the distance, just not at a pace that's going to set any records. My bag is packed as such - planning from 1-4 days to get home depending on how far away I am and depending on what obstacles may be in the way on that path.

I would bet you @The Heretic that there are more people in this same situation than will openly admit. I'm not in my 50's yet, but need to get back into shape bad!! Many things are hindering me. Blown knee from the Army doesn't make things better and then you put I little extra weight on the joints and everything starts hurting.

My goal is to start watching what I eat. Drink more water (less whiskey:() and work out to get back into fighting shape. Two things I know. weight needs to go and muscle tone needs to get better. If your muscles are weak then its easier to throw your back out.

OTR.jpg

I am frail these days as well......good body, bad heart. It is frustrating for me after a life of extreme activity, I struggle the 200 yards to the mail box. You spend a lifetime learning how to do things to not be able to do them. It reminds me of the elk hunt in the Blue Mountians when I was 17. An old guy shot a spike from the camp next to ours with a sporterized M1 Garand. He probably ran 75 yards to it after it was down. When we got to the kill, he was laying next to the bull with chest pain. He had known heart problems........now, I am that guy.

I would bet you @The Heretic that there are more people in this same situation than will openly admit. I'm not in my 50's yet, but need to get back into shape bad!! Many things are hindering me. Blown knee from the Army doesn't make things better and then you put I little extra weight on the joints and everything starts hurting.

My goal is to start watching what I eat. Drink more water (less whiskey:() and work out to get back into fighting shape. Two things I know. weight needs to go and muscle tone needs to get better. If your muscles are weak then its easier to throw your back out.

You and me both bud...:(

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads