JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was still actively riding dirt bikes, even though I was riding quite a bit I was starting to flag on longer days, especially if it was a lot of tight single track. That was when I was 42ish, long days behind a desk and less work around the property was showing. The guys I rode w/were mostly younger. The wife was starting to feel it to.

Sooo...we got a Bow Flex and Tread Climber, I was 209 lbs (remember it clearly) @ 6' 3" when I started. Not heavy but not in the best shape. My reasoning was I wanted be to be able to go all day w/the guys w/out feeling like I got dumped on by a load of crap at the end of the it.

Within 6 months I was @ 190 and in better shape than most of the guys and easily had the stamina for the 60-70 mile days. @ 47 I hit a cedar snag full throttle in 2nd gear on my KTM 300, that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks. Broke hip, pelvis, femur, talus and radius on my left side, 2 surgeries and lots of screws, plates and a long rod. Took me 4 months to walk again after much PT and tons of pain (found my 11 laying in the woods waiting for the EMT's for almost an hour). It was about a year before I got back on my bike, I rode twice hardcore before realizing my better days were behind me and it wasn't worth the pain. Still ride w/the kids around the property.

I'm 55 now and have 9 yo twins with the same women who had the kids our grandkids were born too, she's 58. We got bored after the 1st ones went off on their own. I weigh 185 now and still get on the work-out equipment now and then (keep telling myself make it regular). At this age I notice it more when I get lazy, it's harder to stay motivated, all the weight I've lost is muscle, it's easier to hurt myself doing the things I always use to do. I've learned to pace myself. I was cutting maple brush on a sidehill yesterday, after about 2 hours I was pretty done for a while, sweating like a pig and feeling the chainsaw pretty good. I used to be able to get into a rythm and just go, I still can but when I'm done now it doesn't feel so good. So I take more breaks.

I don't want to get old and have always done whatever I can to stave off the inevitable but it's coming, I can feel it. I'm just going to keep going until I fall over then I don't want to go on anymore. I've watched relatives die from long, protracted maladies. Not for me (I say that now, hope I mean it). I've also watched strong men keep going strong into there 90's, then just poop out.

Too late. Way too late. I injured my back and neck when I was 17. I injured my shoulder before that.

It doesn't take much to throw them out now. Yesterday it was just a normal step and wham! I am that fragile and it makes me mad at myself for the stupid things I did when I was a kid that I am still paying for almost 50 years later.:mad:

You've got to get in better shape. Have you tried yoga? My husband does it via youtube daily. Half an hour each morning. He loves it. How is your diet? Are you taking supplements? There is a lot you can do to improve your health without jogging and lifting weights. Have you ever tried one of those recumbant stationary bikes?

Last Edited:
I walk every day for at least an hour. 3-5 miles most days [Low impact]. I also go to the gym three times week.
In doing so I discovered for every lift I can do. There are several I can't. o_O

Go find out what you CAN do. You'll feel better. ;)

What a difference 3-5 minuets every morning with stretching and bending feeling loads better and the aches and pains are way less.

my wood-pile therapy gives much the same results......IF I remain disciplined enough to STOP before 'ENOUGH' switches places with "TOO DAMN MUCH"....

For those that need that exta oomph....
OTRWH.png

I hate to be blunt... but the only alternative to getting old is death...

I would consider getting old the lesser likely of the two to keep you from doing things should the feces be flung from the spinning air spatula

Given thought to the same SHTF game plan. Used to embrace the bug out idea, but now the wife and I are in our 60's with me ready for 70, it just isn't an option anymore. Bugging in with enough ammo to do away with as many bad guys as we can seems to be the best plan. I've been transferring survival gear to my daughter, taught her firearms and am confident enough to see she is smart and will survive as well as the next. I hit the tread mill every morning, but sometimes breath to shallow or forget to breath at all. War wounds, car accidents, sport's injuries, and just old guy stuff all take their toll as the years collect. It's easy to say get more exercise, but a lethargic attitude seems to whittle away at the spirit with each year. Not giving up, still much to do and take strength from Sgt Nambu's courage. There are Steelhead and Salmon to catch, caps to pop and oh yeah, I want to see the last season of, "Game of Thrones". The saying, "You can't help getting old, but you can help being old". Is excellent advice. Plan to be around to offend more of you in the future.

I have an assignment for all of you who can't escape. We'll leave you behind to fight a rear-guard battle while the able-bodied withdraw . . . ala the Burt Lancaster character in "The Professionals?"

Sheldon

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top