JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LOL that one made me laugh.

No vehicle?

Beretta 92fs ($400)
Keltec Sub2000 (Beretta mags) ($250)
Ruger Mk 3 Hunter (.22 pistol, 8" bbl. $350)....all very humpable.

Show me where I can get a Beretta 92fs new OR used for $400. I would buy it in a heart beat. The Taurus PT92 is $460 new though.

I agree 100 percent, my get out of town bag has a Beretta Storm carbine, Beretta 92fs police turn in, and about 300 rounds of ammo. I should pick up a .22 of course I only buy used guns because they only have a few rounds through them and can be got reasonable.

There are a lot of fun, and thoughtful responses here. The knife, pistol, long gun approach covers just about any possible scenario, but I gotta think you'll only be exposed to one or two different scenarios that will probably necessitate just one of those weapons. Problem is you don't know which.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but if I'm going to hit the house after work to pick up these three, great I'll just throw them in the truck and drive on out... but i get the impression we're not driving. So would you REALLY sling on a shotgun, rifle, and pack a pistol and walk out of your house down the block to where ever it is you're going? If we are driving, this isn't such a big deal, but still...

Plus, I can't imagine that things will be all Wild-West for more then a couple days. Since I don't plan on getting out to an area where I could hunt with the shotgun I think thats what I would pass on. I would really want a light weight 30 rnd SBR with a suppressor, but I can't have that (plus it wouldn't be under 1k). So...

.40cal 61rnds of bonded hollow points (13 in gun, 2x2 mag belt holsters)
ka bar
Big-a** maglite... just thought of that one, I think I like it... maybe I should actually go out and pick one up...

I feel those items would cover my needs and the needs of those with me for 72 hours as far as the weapon dept goes... especially if my woman is toting three more weapons :cool:

Last Edited:
So would you REALLY sling on a shotgun, rifle, and pack a pistol and walk out of your house down the block to where ever it is you're going? If we are driving, this isn't such a big deal, but still...

Last summer I hiked for a little less than a month & i was carrying 1) Ruger 10/22 2) mossberg 12g & 3) XDM .45 full size, plus a 50lb pack on my back. I definitely think it is doable for most relatively "fit" folks out there...

I'd probably end up jumping on the mountain bike as well, help cover some ground faster....

Oh no no, I'm not questioning the ability of people to do this (though you definitely set the bar a little higher with the two long guns and 50lb pack)... I was just thinking about what kind of attention you would be bringing to yourself carrying two long guns around. Its hard to imagine what society would be like during those few days things are upside down, but I just feel like I might not want to show all the cards in my hand... by slinging them over my shoulder... Not to mention the fact that there will still be people who despite the circumstances just don't know how to handle seeing armed individuals... I think they're called victims.

I don't have a problem carrying multiple arms when I'm hiking or hunting, but in an urban or suburban setting where there is less control of where threats can come from I wouldn't want to be burdened to the point where I couldn't draw quickly

A lot depends on what kind of disaster your fleeing from. Chance's are water and food are going to be your number one necessity, real world scenario flight before fight, you'll want a light weight high capacity rifle in the most universal caliber. Same goes for handgun, and it should be something you can shoot well and carry all day without weighting you down.

If you had a thousand dollars and needed a few guns, these would be my choices.

1. Used Remington 870 12ga with a remchoke barrel $300-350 range
2. Used Ruger 10/22 $125-175 range
3. Used 308 or 30-06 Remington 700 $350-400 range
4. Norinco 1911 or SW model 10 38spec $300-400 range
5. Mosin Nagant 91/30 or M44 $100-150 range

Careful shopping would net you a basic hunting, home defense and self protection package of guns that shoot the least expensive, most effective and most common rounds available. Everybody should have a K-bar knife, duffle bag and a large ALICE pack with frame.

OK, I'll slightly change the rules to what a "woman" would need...basically the same except I have smaller hands...
And I think some previous posters COMPLETELY forgot the $1,000 budget. Let's pretend the budget does NOT include ammo...

1) SOG seal pup knife ($80 new- best deal right there, and no ammo required!)
2) 9mm Springfield XD ($450 new)
3) Ruger 10/22 rifle ($300? mine was used and much cheaper)

hey...I've still got money leftover for some ammo and MREs :)

now if money were no object....sub the ruger for an HK AR-15....

1. Cheap AR15 $600 or less
2. $400 or more of ammo
3. Training

I agree here completly...

but if you want to do it you can get a
Mosin rifle 150
Tokarev pistol 200
Used 870 12 gauge 225-250
And 1,000 rounds for all guns for 1,000

If Properly trained with the use of these weapons.. you could take care of most concerns!

22 rimfire rifle- you can shoot them in urban areas w/o drewing attention, they will kill small game, you can put 500 rounds in 2 jeans pockets. (try putting 1/2 a case of .223 or 7.62X39 in your jeans!
combat pistol- you never know if you will runn accross someone who needs to be shot.
12ga pump- it can be a rifle (slugs), a bird gun, man stopper, key to a door, or a club. you will likly be able to fix it with tools you have or can find, as well as the ability to find or trade for ammo is high.

those multi-caliber rifles that shoot like 22lr and come with a bbl to shoot .243 I believe...would be nice. They have them at bi-mart. Iknow about the .410/45lc model but there are others now.

I wouldn't waste my money on three when I only need one FN FAL!

It's the right are of the free world!

Only other thing I need is my beef jerky and dry socks!

Fn.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads