JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With only $1000, one should not try to buy three firearms. One gun, extra mags, ammo.

With that limit I would probably choose a S&W M&P 22 long rifle AR, 6-10 mags, a sling, and as many bricks of quality high velocity hollowpoint ammo as possible.

I could be convinced to go with a 9mm polymer striker pistol, 6-10 mags, a holster, and as much ammo as possible on that budget.

You sound like my buddie who says that when shtf he's just going to shoot me and take my stash.

I tell him, fine, but then you'll have to take care of your kids when im gone!

At today's prices, AR-15s are going for around 500 bucks. Build your own for even less. Lowers are about 50 bucks. Parts kits are another 50 ish and then just choose your upper. You can get a Gen 1 or 2 Glock for somewhere around 300 ish dollars depending on where you look and you could get yourself an old Savage or Winchester that they made about a billion of for what is left (maybe even with a scope)

The terms are not defined though.

Am I standing in the bazaar with my money in my hand in a 3rd world country? I could probably get a better deal. If I am using my savings or horse trading in America? Same thing.

But 1,000 dollars can get you more gun than you think if you do it right.

Sorry but would you mind sharing links to any of the above rifles/pistols. I want to see where you're shopping so that I can get the deals you're getting.

I would definitely like to get a Gen 1 Glock for $300.

This is an interesting thread. I would only leave home if I had absolutely no choice. Then:
Either a 10/22 or a Charger with both cci quiet and velocitor ammo loaded in respective magazines.
A Taurus Judge with both 410 and 45lc.
An axe. (Maybe, depends if i am driving or walking)

Anything you take you could assume if you have to use it, the popo or guard would confiscate it. Or they would simply take it when you go throught a checkpoint (which I feel would be the biggest problem). Bottom line, I'm not taking the good stuff. I will leave them at home to get pillaged by gangs, government or otherwise. :mad::mad::mad:Taking an ar, while a good idea for defence, would make you a target for everybody. Having a scoped charger in your backpack - hopefully not so much.

Sorry but would you mind sharing links to any of the above rifles/pistols. I want to see where you're shopping so that I can get the deals you're getting.

I would definitely like to get a Gen 1 Glock for $300.

AR 15: Anderson Man. stripped lower 42.99. Del ton Rifle Kit 479.17

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part.../ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-prod75094.aspx

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt101.htm

AR-15: Entire rifle 479.00

https://www.classicfirearms.com/atiomni-maxx-ar-15-rifle5-56-optic-ready-gomx10fq556

Gen 3 Glock 22 with Night sights. 299.00

https://www.classicfirearms.com/glock-22-gen-3-le-used-w-1-mag-night-sights

Then you add $20 sights to bring it to $500 or just hip shoot it? Does it come with a magazine?

Then you add $20 sights to bring it to $500 or just hip shoot it? Does it come with a magazine?

MagPul Mags can be found on sale all the time. Know a guy that found some mags at an estate sale for 1.00 apiece (I am going with him next time BTW, he always finds deals)

MagPul sight sets can be found on sale as well at most retail outlets (Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's).

Like I said. The terms of the situation were not defined. I could find a ton of deals before SHTF, or somewhere in the world with less regulation and government oversight (i.e. 3rd World). Not so much afterward.

if we are talking zombies or TEOTWAWKI,

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...ded-aisi-1060-high-carbon-steel-blade.203480/

$400 Katana.
$200 Gerber Bowie

This leaves plenty of room for a 10/22. as well as a multitool...

Best part is after you run out of ammo you will still be top of the pile for technological weaponry.

You just have to know your rocks and you can always sharpen steel...

Biggest issue with any crazy things happening is that ammo isnt forever...

Get something you dont reload.

By the way yes the sword is for sale. I could effectively use it but would rather more of a 14th century Italian longsword.

I agree. I think you can get a new Smith AR for like $550? Then a used 12ga pump for like $125 and then a used Glock to round it out. It's still pushing it.
I'd be tempted to go with a fair AR or shotgun, a good 9mm defensive handgun and a good Bowie knife to round it up to $1000.
You can really only carry/use one long gun at a time "SHTF".

And to think I've got about $2200-$2400 into my AR, I guess I'm a dumbass. :eek:

IIRC, I got my S&W MP 15 for $485, at Cabalas! That includes sale price, coupon for getting their credit card and veterans discount! Got rid of the C Card!
The rifle is a slick side with Magpul iron sights. It's very well made, shoots and operates perfectly and is well worth the money! I have a Sig P250, .45ACP or a Beretta 92 that I paid $450 for each! That's $935, so the rest on a knife!:cool:

Last Edited:
I've always wanted to pick up a quality war hammer and flanged mace.

Having the proper training and a weapon that is able to keep functioning in the absence of ammo is very important.

There is a series that I have heard of that I want to read that is based in the PNW area and decribes how quickly ammo will disappear in an event, and how swords of current manufacture will be far superior to anything made after an event. Which is very true!

ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!

I've always wanted to pick up a quality war hammer and flanged mace.

My buddies dad is a machinist and made him one of the coolest "Thors Hammer" I've ever held. NOT a weapon I could effectively use... Unless you stand still while I hoist it and get some momentum to get it swinging - then your in real trouble;)

Quality on Anderson lowers are hit or miss. No thanks. That goes double for Del-Ton, I'll stick with my Colt and BCM rifles when it comes to ARs. They are top notch professional grade weapons without getting into crazy prices like KAC, LaRue, etc.

Law Enforcement trade-in are definitely a good option for picking up inexpensive weapons with plenty of life in them.

Hmmmm.... Never heard that. Built a rifle from a Del-Ton kit for a friend and works every time you press the Boom Switch.

Maybe he just got a good one.

Ooooooh...NASTY! Could you imagine ever using that thing? I've never been in any gunfight, for sure, but my brain has already visualized it to some degree and I am mentally and spiritually prepared for using my firearms in self defense. But the gore involved in a hammer like that would only make sense in the Walking Dead.

12g Double barrel shotgun with dual triggers (hammers preferred but hammerless is ok) and choked cylinders, one cylinder bore, another modified (slugs/00BK and #6 shot). Who doesn't want to own a double barrel? Portability, less moving parts, flexibility, carry two different loads at once.
$400-$500 new
Savage Axis .308/Ruger American .308, cheap, but still can shoot sub MOA
$250 new on the axis
Marlin Model 60: no magazines, all tube, microgrooved barrel, accurate out of the box
$225 new

I think I came in under $1000.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR