JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get sick much and when I do I fight it until I can't anymore. Then I pile the couch with sleeping bags, and stoke the wood stove up and brew up a thrmos of hot herbal teas. I like licorice and try to add in some rose-hip tea for the vitamin C. I'll add in a spoonful of Elderberry syrup and sweeten with Honey. I crawl under the sleeping bags and sweat it out breathing in the tea vapors and sipping the tea. I try to read but end up mostly nodding off.

So here I am down with the flu.
Had a fever yesterday , stayed home from school...been laid up since then.
Body aches...sweats...chills...chest racking coughs that hurt from the small of the back upwards...fatigue ...can't really sleep....

I have medicine here for the flu...been taking it and herbal tea...lots of "rest" in my easy chair and the like.
And while I am no longer in my fighting trim of my LRRP days...I ain't no slug either.

Which got me wondering....
What if S of whatever kind were to hit the fan...?
I don't like being a burden or easy mark...plus the need to take extra "flu stuff" along if I gotta leave....
Not to forget to mention...if I am on foot ...I wouldn't make it very far or fast....driving...well I could...but fuzzy thinking at the best of times can lead to an accident..etc...

And while the likelihood of SHTF , this weekend is low , when I am down with the flu...it does give one pause to think.
Andy
Sometimes, one's luck just runs out... be well soon!

I'm not going to exactly say that this is sound advice, but illicit drugs.

Cocaine will make you feel like a million dollars in an instant. It will get you through something you might not be able to do because your sick. You'll pay for it later, but in the moment, it will allow you to continue functioning as if you never had the flu.

There's likely other stimulants out there that should also do the trick.

Best part, you can easily get just about any of them pretty easily.

Being sick reinforces the importance of a tribe and not being a solitary force.

Ricola lozenges were my best friend recently through a bout of illness that had me sleeping most the day and being generally ill for near four days.

I'm not going to exactly say that this is sound advice, but illicit drugs.

Cocaine will make you feel like a million dollars in an instant. It will get you through something you might not be able to do because your sick. You'll pay for it later, but in the moment, it will allow you to continue functioning as if you never had the flu.

There's likely other stimulants out there that should also do the trick.

Best part, you can easily get just about any of them pretty easily.
Good advice a decade ago. Now everything seems to be tainted with fentenyl. Can't fight through a bad cold with no heartbeat.

Good advice a decade ago. Now everything seems to be tainted with fentenyl. Can't fight through a bad cold with no heartbeat.
I knew little to nothing on Fentanyl until recently when I went looking online. Wow. It all started with a recent documentary on YouTube where a rando lady went to Portland to see what it was all about. She filmed a guy doing it. I was confused as it was a normal looking pill, the compressed type. He had a bunch of them, rainbow colored. Let's say I'm a bit shocked at how intrusive the drug cartels are in our country. Only thing I could think of at the end was, well that's nuts, and there is no way our government isn't getting a cut to allow this.

I knew little to nothing on Fentanyl until recently when I went looking online. Wow. It all started with a recent documentary on YouTube where a rando lady went to Portland to see what it was all about. She filmed a guy doing it. I was confused as it was a normal looking pill, the compressed type. He had a bunch of them, rainbow colored. Let's say I'm a bit shocked at how intrusive the drug cartels are in our country. Only thing I could think of at the end was, well that's nuts, and there is no way our government isn't getting a cut to allow this.
It's been a messed up millennium thus far.

If SHTF I'm hunkering down…

Where I live there's nowhere to go that 100k people aren't headed so I guess if I get sick I'll hope my wife isn't so she can stand watch while I'm on the couch lol.

Wait just a sec!!

You're allowed access to young developing minds??

Isn't... that......... dangerous!!??

🤣
1669601970995.png

Yah it's pretty nasty what's going on.

Had a patient recently who OD'd & was revived with Narcan by EMS. Refused transport. Went back into whatever club/bar, did more. Collapsed again, EMS responded again & revived him again & transported him. Left against medical advice after a few hours...

Such, unfortunately, is incredibly common now.

They can inject it, take pills, snort it and /or smoke it.

Responders risk getting dosed just by contact with the powder/liquid.

You mean like... 10% for the Big Guy?:eek:

I'm on the other side of a bad cold, aches pain congestion but no fever.

It hits home the realization that a good fall back position or rally point needs to be set up with the family, if a SHTF situation occurs.

On a series note, not that there isn't truly some truth to my last posts. If you have allergies. Get an epipen. Having had one injected into my leg before, for an allergic reaction. I went from boarder line dead, to instantaneously wired and aware/awake.

If you need to do something when you're in your absolute worse, stick one of those in your legs. You'd be able to run a short length of a marathon after.

That aftermath isn't pleasant, as is any stimulant I imagine. That's not really the point though. It's to get you up and aware for long enough to get you and your family safe. Then perhaps you can spend better time recovering away from the threat or danger.

My kid just brought home some nasty bug before Thanksgiving. He and I were basically dead to the world over the last week and a half. This thread hits close to home. I do fear sickness in a bad situation. I'm worthless when I'm sick.

It's also a wise choice to look into Fish Antibiotics, as well as doing some research to which of them works best for what and dosages.

Another thing to consider is potency and time. Some medicine naturally breaks down over time or the chemical composition changes. Some manufacturers place additives to their medicines so that they will expire as well.

Nothing like a few days stuck in bed to rethink a few things right?

Idk - we live in a plush existence so will the flu truly put you down in SHTF??

I only mention this because years ago when my daughter was young and into theater I committed to doing a major carpentry job, on a time frame and labor was donated to keep costs down.

I caught one of the top 5 flu's I've ever had (fever, body aches, exhaustion etc) the day I started the job and it lasted 6 of the 7 days I was doing the job.

It was miserable to the point that I remember it like yesterday and it was a lot of years ago.

I suspect that if you are in danger/fight or flight mode, you will most likely be able to rise to the occasion. Probably not as well as if you were feeling good (that 7 day job was supposed to be a 4-5 day) but one foot in front of the other.

I'm not implying you shouldn't prep, I agree with a lot posted here - some other not so much but to each their own. We always stay ahead on meds (both prescriptions and over the counter), you won't see me in a panic to Rob the local pharmacy when the world ends (lol).

Anyway just food for thought - next time you are down for the count, see if you can rally. I always ask myself "can I take one more step?" The answer is always yes, it's just one step…

So here I am down with the flu.
Had a fever yesterday , stayed home from school...been laid up since then.
Body aches...sweats...chills...chest racking coughs that hurt from the small of the back upwards...fatigue ...can't really sleep....

I have medicine here for the flu...been taking it and herbal tea...lots of "rest" in my easy chair and the like.
And while I am no longer in my fighting trim of my LRRP days...I ain't no slug either.

Which got me wondering....
What if S of whatever kind were to hit the fan...?
I don't like being a burden or easy mark...plus the need to take extra "flu stuff" along if I gotta leave....
Not to forget to mention...if I am on foot ...I wouldn't make it very far or fast....driving...well I could...but fuzzy thinking at the best of times can lead to an accident..etc...

And while the likelihood of SHTF , this weekend is low , when I am down with the flu...it does give one pause to think.
Andy
In a SHTF scenario, knowing good herbal medicine would be the difference between life and death. Another thing that has been used by my family for hundreds of years is Ginseng. A good supply of dried Ginseng would not be a bad idea. It gives an energy boost along with providing an increase in cognitive function, and helps promote healing of some conditions. I keep a store of several herbs that NIH has been studying for nerve regrowth potential and have regained some feeling in my feet as a result. (I have gone from being unable to feel below the knee to being able to feel all but the balls of my feet and toes.). I would imagine in a SHTF scenario, those specifically that increase cognition and awareness might be extra useful.

Giinseng gives me no ill effects, though some of the other herbal stimulants do. YMWV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top