JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. Cheap AR15 $600 or less
2. $400 or more of ammo
3. Training

3 guns for $1,000? Very difficult to do with quality guns, I would rather have one fully stocked gun with lots of ammo and training, but i am just thinking outside of the box.

I like this idea. All I needed when I was in the Marines was an M16A2 and a K-Bar. A sidearm wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

An accurate .22lr makes a lot of sense because 1.you can carry way more ammo, and 2. a good .22lr will keep you alive. I'll do the ancient .22lr savage octagon barrel pump action take down rifle my deceased Dad gave me. When he was a boy in Oregon and his Dad abandoned the family, that Savage was what put meat on the table. He and his uncle would hike into the back country and live off the land with that gun, some fihing line, and salt,pepper,flour etc. If still is accurate as **** at 50 yards with open sights. If it was good enough for Dad, it's good enough for me. I think I'd also take my Marlin Model 1894 in .38 Special/.357 Mag. I put see through scope rings on it so I can either use a scope, or the open sights. A scoped guns not going to be much help if you scope breaks without open sights.

And lastly, I'd either take my S&W 4 inch stainless .38 Special with adjustable sights, or my S&W .357 Mag Highway Patrolman with 6" barrel. It's a huge N frame, so it should last for a couple lifetimes. My Dad gave me that one too.

I'll forgo a shotgun. Ammo takes up too much room, and it's redundant with a good .22. A .22 is good for birds and small game for a decent marksman. A well placed shot'll keep two legged predators away just fine.

A lot could be said for a TC Contender. One action can be a carbine or handgun in the same caliber.

jon

bear is a SELLOUT!!!! that knife is JUNK!!!! i pitty the fool the thinks otherwise! chinese garbage steel, not full tang...he does not use this, nor should anyone else stake their life on this pile!!! I'm sure he's thinking: "if i can sell these to a million idiots i'll make 59 million dollars!" right after i free climb down this 100' waterfall...following survivor man = getting yourself killed...but i guess its better than a sharp rock...maybe :s0154:

Here is an independant test I saw on another forum. (also posted in non firearm thread)

<broken link removed>

I also think its a piece of junk and would never put it in my bug out bag, but am not so harsh on Bear.
Probably few of us would turn down massive bucks to hock a knife.

Here is an independant test I saw on another forum. (also posted in non firearm thread)

<broken link removed>

I also think its a piece of junk and would never put it in my bug out bag, but am not so harsh on Bear.
Probably few of us would turn down massive bucks to hock a knife.

trading your better judgment for $$$...hoping no one gets killed trusting your word, and using your poorly made crap = SELLOUT ...i'm surprised he hasn't gotten anyone killed yet

trading your better judgment for $$$...hoping no one gets killed trusting your word, and using your poorly made crap = SELLOUT ...i'm surprised he hasn't gotten anyone killed yet

Its probably not that simple. The network undoubtedly owns his name and image for marking purposes. It may be driven by them and mostly out of his control.
I have no doubt the knife is a real pos but doubt if its bad enough to contribute to a users death. I have seen all kinds of junk marketed as 'survival' tools but havent noticed any rush to litigate in those cases.
I did notice in a recent episode that he seemed to use/feature it a lot more often than in previous seasons. I can just imagine his crew carrying a dozen of those things as back-ups...ready to go when the current one fails. LOL

Its probably not that simple. The network undoubtedly owns his name and image for marking purposes. It may be driven by them and mostly out of his control.
I have no doubt the knife is a real pos but doubt if its bad enough to contribute to a users death. I have seen all kinds of junk marketed as 'survival' tools but havent noticed any rush to litigate in those cases.
I did notice in a recent episode that he seemed to use/feature it a lot more often than in previous seasons. I can just imagine his crew carrying a dozen of those things as back-ups...ready to go when the current one fails. LOL

..................:s0163:

Why does everybody got to hate on bear? His knives are not labeled as military grade.

Back to the subject. If i left right now I would have with me my
10/22 with scope and 2 butler creek 25 round mags
Beretta 21a bobcat 4-7 round clips
A good sheathed military grade fixed blade and a multi tool.
And as much 22lr's that i can carry, thousands!:s0114::s0114:

I'm surprised no one has said any thing about a pistol and rifle combo in 22.

I'd love to have a 357 for bear protection but with 28 rounds of hollow point in my pocket for the beretta, the noise alone should scare most 4 legged creatures off. As for the 2 legged, let's see these little hollow points do there job.

Grand total is less then $600 on weapons, cant forget the filtration system and some fire starter, I could live forever.

Why does everybody got to hate on bear? His knives are not labeled as military grade.

Back to the subject. If i left right now I would have with me my
10/22 with scope and 2 butler creek 25 round mags
Beretta 21a bobcat 4-7 round clips
A good sheathed military grade fixed blade and a multi tool.
And as much 22lr's that i can carry, thousands!:s0114::s0114:

I'm surprised no one has said any thing about a pistol and rifle combo in 22.

I'd love to have a 357 for bear protection but with 28 rounds of hollow point in my pocket for the beretta, the noise alone should scare most 4 legged creatures off. As for the 2 legged, let's see these little hollow points do there job.

Grand total is less then $600 on weapons, cant forget the filtration system and some fire starter, I could live forever.

I have no doubt that Bear is a certified hard a55. And that if put head to head against Survivorman would probably not only eat Les but also take off his skin and wear it to stay warm while making his way out of the sticks. But his show, while entertaining is really structured as just that....entertainment.
I also suspect that a great deal of his viewers are women for reasons other than the need to pick up survival tips. ;-)

Well I have been acquiring things over the last couple years.
I have Nissan Armada with a Rocketbooster storage pack for the top. I plan on packing the Bike trailer too. Just in case we have to ditch the suv. At least the bike trailer will be light and be able to pack a lot of stuff in it. Water, ammo, rifles, clothing, food etc... The wheels are big enough to handle most terrain.
Rifles:
SR-25 .308 caliber. Ammo is pricey. I am hopeing to have at least 500 rounds. Mainly for hunting or taking out threats at a distance.
M4 .223/.556 caliber. It can handle both rounds. I have like 3,000 rnds of that. Overall protection/hunting etc...
Smith and Wesson 15-22. This is my .22 caliber rifle with 25 round mags. Easy for my wife to fire accurately if I'm driving. Ammo is light and cheap. I've got 15k plus rounds of that. You can still hunt small game and kill other things too.
two 9mm carry pistols with over 1k rounds. Overall protection for close quarters etc.. Plus we have a .22 cal pistol too.
We also have every sized knife that you could possibly need.
If you want to keep on a tight budget I would at least buy a .22 rifle of some sort and .22 pistol if not 9mm pistol. Good thing is that the .22 cal weapons use cheap ammo. $16 or less for 525 rounds. You do the math....AR-15type rifle will cost you around $400. Pistol around $300..

I also have a drag bag/backpack for two of the rifles.

Ending thought. You can only pack out so much ammo. Pack the most. But know ultimately what you can pack at certain levels of extraction.
Figure out what is most important at different stages of survival. Nobody is perfect. Just think it through.

Last Edited:
No vehicle?

Beretta 92fs ($400)
Keltec Sub2000 (Beretta mags) ($250)
Ruger Mk 3 Hunter (.22 pistol, 8" bbl. $350)....all very humpable.

An ex Marine sniper I know has only one gun, a scoped Model 70, 30.06. He says simply, "When SHTF, I'll just hump my rifle and a box o' ammo and take whatever I want from someone else." There's a lot of guys like that out there. I may just stay home.

Savage 24 in 22/410 (cost me $160)
6" Colt Anaconda .44 (cost about $525)
Ruger Single Six ($290)

I will be 'bugging in', but if I HAD to stupidly leave my castle, going by the initial question, I reckon this is what *I'd* take. I'm no soldier, don't plan on playing one and too dang old to do much more than travel and try'n evade all the young wannabe soldiers achin' to shoot my eye out at 1000m! Heh heh heh!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews