JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to think 1k per center fire calibre was good. I have since upped that with the exception of .25ACP. I have a few boxes of that for a pistol I bought mainly for it's collectors value. Quite awhile back I purchased 3 1/2 tonnes of 7.62 NATO brass. I now have it all loaded, a lot of it belted. I've no idea how many rounds that equates to. I cannot tell anyone how much ammo to have. That is up to the individual. I know for me I will continually load and purchase ammo until they make it illegal-then I'll just load it;)

I used to think 1k per center fire calibre was good. I have since upped that with the exception of .25ACP. I have a few boxes of that for a pistol I bought mainly for it's collectors value. Quite awhile back I purchased 3 1/2 tonnes of 7.62 NATO brass. I now have it all loaded, a lot of it belted. I've no idea how many rounds that equates to. I cannot tell anyone how much ammo to have. That is up to the individual. I know for me I will continually load and purchase ammo until they make it illegal-then I'll just load it;)
That's about 25,000 empties, 3.5 English tons. Metric tonnes, add about 10%.o_O Thas' a lotta ammo!

Sorry if I already posted this here 6226.png

But like some one said I do shoot .
Then I buy more.
The trick is to get so much stock built up that if you want to shoot go for it .
Lol last Saturday I went to the range .
With @AndyinEverson .
Lol I let his friends blast away with the 22 and 9mm and 45
We basically shot muzzleloader stuff .

Maybe close to 500 rounds each for centerfire calibers. I have two handgun calibers(9mm & .45ACP) + two rifle calibers(.308/7.62 & .223/5.56), so it can also be 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo & 1,000 rounds of long gun ammo.

I don't shoot 12 gauge very much, so I probably only keep less than 20 boxes around. .22LR, I usually have at the very least handful of 500rd bricks.

Probably enough to go plinking several times without depleting the inventory. I haven't been at the "minimum" in awhile though, with the exception of 12-gauge.

For those that don't (yet?) have thousands of rounds of ammo stockpiled, how much is the absolute minimum you keep on hand? I keep a minimum 100 rds of .308 (3 loaded mags excluded) and 300 rds of 9mm (excluding what is in the mags I carry). As I am soon adding a 12 gauge I will likely keep 50 rds of slugs, 100 rds of 00 buck and 100 rds of bird shot.
I also keep 2 loaded pmags of 5.56 for a rifle I have not built, cause you neber know when you may find something it will run in win shtf.

If I dont have at least that amount of ammo, I dont go to the range without buying more. I never let my self get below those numbers. My plan is to add 40-80 rds of .308 and 100 rds of 9mm each month and keep increasing my minimum number. And some amount of 12 gauge as well.

I like to have all 6 rounds in the wheel and a extra 6 when possible.

In my travels from security site to site, came across a "cake freezer" with a defunct refrigeration unit. 3 24" wide by 48" tall doors. Airtight and lockable, all stainless. In negotiations now, perfect for storing " this and that".

For me the important things are powder primers and bullets. Loaded ammo minimum is a state secret.

Last Edited:
Minimum is what fits and is easy to grab by the ammo can full.

I have 6+ such cans ready at any time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads