JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to think 1k per center fire calibre was good. I have since upped that with the exception of .25ACP. I have a few boxes of that for a pistol I bought mainly for it's collectors value. Quite awhile back I purchased 3 1/2 tonnes of 7.62 NATO brass. I now have it all loaded, a lot of it belted. I've no idea how many rounds that equates to. I cannot tell anyone how much ammo to have. That is up to the individual. I know for me I will continually load and purchase ammo until they make it illegal-then I'll just load it;)

I used to think 1k per center fire calibre was good. I have since upped that with the exception of .25ACP. I have a few boxes of that for a pistol I bought mainly for it's collectors value. Quite awhile back I purchased 3 1/2 tonnes of 7.62 NATO brass. I now have it all loaded, a lot of it belted. I've no idea how many rounds that equates to. I cannot tell anyone how much ammo to have. That is up to the individual. I know for me I will continually load and purchase ammo until they make it illegal-then I'll just load it;)
That's about 25,000 empties, 3.5 English tons. Metric tonnes, add about 10%.o_O Thas' a lotta ammo!

Sorry if I already posted this here 6226.png

But like some one said I do shoot .
Then I buy more.
The trick is to get so much stock built up that if you want to shoot go for it .
Lol last Saturday I went to the range .
With @AndyinEverson .
Lol I let his friends blast away with the 22 and 9mm and 45
We basically shot muzzleloader stuff .

Maybe close to 500 rounds each for centerfire calibers. I have two handgun calibers(9mm & .45ACP) + two rifle calibers(.308/7.62 & .223/5.56), so it can also be 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo & 1,000 rounds of long gun ammo.

I don't shoot 12 gauge very much, so I probably only keep less than 20 boxes around. .22LR, I usually have at the very least handful of 500rd bricks.

Probably enough to go plinking several times without depleting the inventory. I haven't been at the "minimum" in awhile though, with the exception of 12-gauge.

For those that don't (yet?) have thousands of rounds of ammo stockpiled, how much is the absolute minimum you keep on hand? I keep a minimum 100 rds of .308 (3 loaded mags excluded) and 300 rds of 9mm (excluding what is in the mags I carry). As I am soon adding a 12 gauge I will likely keep 50 rds of slugs, 100 rds of 00 buck and 100 rds of bird shot.
I also keep 2 loaded pmags of 5.56 for a rifle I have not built, cause you neber know when you may find something it will run in win shtf.

If I dont have at least that amount of ammo, I dont go to the range without buying more. I never let my self get below those numbers. My plan is to add 40-80 rds of .308 and 100 rds of 9mm each month and keep increasing my minimum number. And some amount of 12 gauge as well.

I like to have all 6 rounds in the wheel and a extra 6 when possible.

In my travels from security site to site, came across a "cake freezer" with a defunct refrigeration unit. 3 24" wide by 48" tall doors. Airtight and lockable, all stainless. In negotiations now, perfect for storing " this and that".

For me the important things are powder primers and bullets. Loaded ammo minimum is a state secret.

Last Edited:
Minimum is what fits and is easy to grab by the ammo can full.

I have 6+ such cans ready at any time.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top