JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see, if you live in Multnomah County, the answer could be yes. If you live in Wheeler County, the answer could be no. But if you're really looking forward to a door to door, to your door, you could always make an anonymous call.

About 40 years ago my shooting partner said " To be a good shot you have to shoot a lot ". I replied, " To shot a lot you have to reload ".
I spend way too much time picking up brass but I like to reload. Back then reloading was a real upgrade for varmint and general hunting. I must admit there are some rounds I would rather buy like 12 gauge. A consistent batch of any ammo improves your shooting ability.

A number of Sheriffs have said they won't be going door to door in Washington and I think I have seen several Oregon Sheriffs that have said the same thing.

I would guess that there will be a number of dead LEOs if they actually start going door to door. If course, that also means a number of individuals and their families may end up the same way.

That being said, I think that ALL the these laws will end up in the Courts with many of them going ALL the way to the State or Federal Supreme Court! And, this ain't gonna be a Cheap Fight, no matter who Wins or Looses and that's a FACT!!!

It just isn't going to happen in my Lifetime but then I'm an Old F*st so I'm not worried. I know what I'm gonna do when :s0017::s0017::s0017: someone comes to my Door while I'm still around!:s0017::s0017::s0017:

In 1978 my friend showed me his elk hunting ammo stock pile. He had a partially full twenty round slip top plastic box. He could identify how he came by the mix of 30-06 there in. These three from uncle, some from dad. Years later I loaded 200 Sierra hunting rounds using his collection of brass. I used his rifle to get the case length right. He was always a exemplary shot but was thrilled to have a supply of consistent ammo. His kids must have liked it as well since they made it disappear.

Another way to look at it is the Stats. say that every other person in the USA owns a Firearm! Which means that every other LEO does too. Now, just how many of them going to be willing to go up against their fellow Officers? I'd guess that the number is pretty SMALL, especially if they have checked the records and know just what type of Hardware and what kind of Military Service Record the guy or gal is sitting next to them. What do you think?:eek::eek::eek:

Home - Matt Shea WA 4

"If you do not have 5,000 rounds of .223... ...you're wrong." - Rep. Matt Shea

"Number one, we need to get in shape, number two we need to shoot, number three, we need to learn self-defense, and number four, we need to study small-unit tactics… If you do not have 5,000 rounds of .223, 5,000 rounds of .22 and 1,000 rounds of handgun ammo, as a minimum, you're wrong. We need to train our families how to shoot as well. We need to get food. We need to have a year's supply of food, two years supply of seeds, we need to have a year's supply of sundry items. That's what it means to be an American. We prepare for the worst but hope for the best."
Bold added. Italic in original.

About 40 years ago my shooting partner said " To be a good shot you have to shoot a lot ". I replied, " To shot a lot you have to reload ".
I spend way too much time picking up brass but I like to reload. Back then reloading was a real upgrade for varmint and general hunting. I must admit there are some rounds I would rather buy like 12 gauge. A consistent batch of any ammo improves your shooting ability.

My born and raised MT husband has reloaded for over 40 years.

My late husband and I did not reload but we were 'going to do it' in the future.

I have no desire to reload now. Plus I only shoot RF now.

Cate

In 1978 my friend showed me his elk hunting ammo stock pile. He had a partially full twenty round slip top plastic box. He could identify how he came by the mix of 30-06 there in. These three from uncle, some from dad. Years later I loaded 200 Sierra hunting rounds using his collection of brass. I used his rifle to get the case length right. He was always a exemplary shot but was thrilled to have a supply of consistent ammo. His kids must have liked it as well since they made it disappear.

That is a great story and thank you for sharing it!

Cate

I used to shoot 10,000 rounds of CF and RF ammunition a year. CF in various calibers. RF in 22lr and in 22wmr.

Out west - more 22wmr with a former lever action rifle. Back east - ONLY 50 rounds of 22wmr for a couple of Ruger single action revolvers - 22lr/22wmr.

I shot far MORE, more and more in 22lr firearms (Handguns and rifles.) than any other CF caliber. Back east and out here.

When I got out of ALL CF/RF handguns and, later on, the few CF rifles that I shot in 30-30, 45Long Colt and 357Magnum... I concentrated on my RF ammunition.

So I always had in stock and pre-planned 10,000 rounds of 22lr for myself on an annual basis. It was part of MY shooting budget.

I could not do that as a Newbie in guns.

When I FIRST started to buy and shoot my own guns, I could NOT afford to buy a LOT of ammunition at one time. I saved up to buy my guns and the ammo. I was shooting once a week for sure and sometimes more often. But always once a week. Indoor range and, later on, at a Sportsman's Club - outdoor range. I shot some of my CF handguns and the rest in RF firearms. Eventually to 15 guns but a lot of my guns shared ammunition (Matching firearm calibers.) back east and out here too.

I owned more 22lr firearms and shot that caliber the most. That is why I could AFFORD to shoot as much as I did and I shot more as time went on too.

I ALWAYS REPLACED what I shot in the same amount and, sometimes, I bought a little more.

I shoot far, far, far LESS now. I and/or we never ran out of ammunition in RF and my MT husband has reloaded for over 40 years.

Out here in Montana...

For a time frame, I told my MT husband that a couple of bulk boxes in 22lr would suit me and I lived/thought that way ON and OFF and on and off some more during the fake/real shortages even though we had PLENTY on hand.

I told him that he could have the REST of it (22lr) in my stock. He told me that was stupid and silly and even if I could not get to the range, with or without my cane, due to some physical issues... that the 10,000 rounds would still be mine and it would ALL get rotated as I or we always did. He had his own share of HIS 22lr outside of MY stock.

We were able to help out some friends, sell some 22lr at OUR cost, GIFT some 22lr and gift/sell some of HIS reloading stock and dies when we downsized and consolidated our firearm calibers. I had NO reloading stock or equipment since I did not reload and I do not plan to reload now. (My late husband and I had thought that we would do this together but it never happened.)

I never stocked shotgun ammo for myself since I never owned a shotgun of my own. My retired husband no longer owns a shotgun and he has no plans to buy another one at this time.

OP, get yourself a 22lr firearm if you want to target shoot, plink, or practice some of your skills at a lower cost. I did not see that in your original post. Maybe I missed it.

If I was starting out as a Newbie and only had two or three ammunition calibers to buy for myself:

I would work my way up to a few hundred to 1,000 rounds for my CF, self defense handgun. I would do that FIRST - my primary handgun. Once, I got to 1,000 rounds for that specific one handgun caliber... I would Never go below that amount. Especially if you only own, shoot and/or carry ONE handgun caliber. Plus ammo is less expensive now compared to those crazy times (Fake/real shortages.) and most of it can be found easily.

I would only buy 40 (Two boxes.) to 100 rounds ammunition for my CF rifle if I hardly ever shot that gun. I do not know your actual shooting habits on a weekly or yearly basis. My concentration would still be on my primary self defense one and only handgun. If you shoot the rifle more often or hunt... determine your needs, buy more, but do not neglect your primary handgun.

I would not buy a shotgun next - I would buy a 22lr rifle.

But if your plans are for a shotgun, I would aim for 100 shells.

Best wishes to you with your stocking plans. Good shooting to you.

Cate
PS: I would keep that 1,000 rounds for your primary self dense handgun FIRST and if you did own and shoot several handguns in various calibers - I would aim for spreading it out per caliber with a bit more for your MAIN gun. Aim for that 1,000 round limit as you can afford it and keep it at that level. Rotate your stock in all of your ammunition, store it properly and determine what your shooting needs are as you grow as a shooter.

I am hoping to get people interested in reloading and ballistics. I have lots of ammo on hand because of my hobby. I also stock.22 LR and have various firearms to shoot them with. In the past I have had a hard time stocking up on .22WMR. I mostly used it when helping out running dogs at night. I bought a .17 HMR and sold it having never shot it at all. Now there is a lot of .22 WMR to choose from. Some are great out past 100 yards. Those that aren't I use in the Single-Six. BTW .17 HMR is fine and a great choice for a first varmint rifle. When I need more range the .223 does great.

I am hoping to get people interested in reloading and ballistics. I have lots of ammo on hand because of my hobby. I also stock.22 LR and have various firearms to shoot them with. In the past I have had a hard time stocking up on .22WMR. I mostly used it when helping out running dogs at night. I bought a .17 HMR and sold it having never shot it at all. Now there is a lot of .22 WMR to choose from. Some are great out past 100 yards. Those that aren't I use in the Single-Six. BTW .17 HMR is fine and a great choice for a first varmint rifle. When I need more range the .223 does great.

Hello,

That is really neat to read and there are people who could use your help!

I never shot a .17hmr rifle but I know some people on forums and someone in Idaho who owns one.

My husband sold his 22wmr rifle. I sold my 22wmr rifle. So we don't stock any 22wmr ammo any longer. For a time frame, I almost went to ONLY wanting to shoot and own a 22wmr rifle! But I did not do this - thank God. I do LOVE the 22wmr caliber though and I found myself going back to the 22lr rifles.

He uses his .223 bolt action rifle on and off.

Take care and good shooting to you!

Sincerely,

Cate

Say, if ya ever get a hankerin to shoot some 22 wrf again, let me know. Got a 1901 in the safe and bought a brick to bring back the memories.
P.s. gota 22 special too. Shhh.

Hello,

I have owned and shot 22 long rifle - 22lr ammunition. I have owned and shot 22wmr aka 22 magnum ammunition too.

I never BOUGHT 22short or 22long in ammunition but my MT husband had some old stock on hand, gave it to me to try it out and WE shot it all up several years ago.

I don't know anything about a 22special or a 22 wrf. My husband said that it was an older cartridge. So is it the size of a 22wmr aka 22magnum cartridge?

My husband said that he has seen some of this in our gun stores but I don't believe that I have seen it myself and I was not looking for it.

What makes it different compared to 22lr or 22wmr aka 22magnum ammo?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR