JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those that don't (yet?) have thousands of rounds of ammo stockpiled, how much is the absolute minimum you keep on hand? I keep a minimum 100 rds of .308 (3 loaded mags excluded) and 300 rds of 9mm (excluding what is in the mags I carry). As I am soon adding a 12 gauge I will likely keep 50 rds of slugs, 100 rds of 00 buck and 100 rds of bird shot.
I also keep 2 loaded pmags of 5.56 for a rifle I have not built, cause you neber know when you may find something it will run in win shtf.

If I dont have at least that amount of ammo, I dont go to the range without buying more. I never let my self get below those numbers. My plan is to add 40-80 rds of .308 and 100 rds of 9mm each month and keep increasing my minimum number. And some amount of 12 gauge as well.

What's the minimum amount of ammunition a person should have?

How Much is enough?

Enough ammo? When?

I USED to think a couple 2k rounds of ball for practice was good amount for pistols.
Then this Scorpion followed me home. First session, was 300 lighter. Now the kids want to go and I realize my min is way low if things go dry and you still want to have fun.
Damn those speed loaders!

I treat it a bit like food.

That means buying enough to last over time and trying to cycle it so it stays fresh.

Also taking account that more ammo may be spent depending on the situation and adjusting accordingly.

Other then that occasionally I find some surplus ammo that just looks like it would be fun and I get brass fever. It's a bit like gold, once you get some you just keep wanting to buy more and more.

Prior to the 'election' I Laid in a fair amount of components - and probably had enough to load about 10k of rounds in various calibers. Had it gone the 'other way' the prediction was for bare shelves again and I got caught 'behind the curve' in 2012/13 and had to scrounge to find even minimal supplies.
I've since loaded and shot a lot up so I am not anywhere near the previous number and the shelves are full again.

Well, actually lets put it this way. Several years back the was a report in Oregon, in the Boregonian about a guy/suspect/whatever that got his house raided. Said they found like 9 rifles, 3 handguns and several thousand rounds of ammo. My first thought? That guy was woefully unprepared.

For those that don't (yet?) have thousands of rounds of ammo stockpiled, how much is the absolute minimum you keep on hand? I keep a minimum 100 rds of .308 (3 loaded mags excluded) and 300 rds of 9mm (excluding what is in the mags I carry). As I am soon adding a 12 gauge I will likely keep 50 rds of slugs, 100 rds of 00 buck and 100 rds of bird shot.
I also keep 2 loaded pmags of 5.56 for a rifle I have not built, cause you neber know when you may find something it will run in win shtf.

If I dont have at least that amount of ammo, I dont go to the range without buying more. I never let my self get below those numbers. My plan is to add 40-80 rds of .308 and 100 rds of 9mm each month and keep increasing my minimum number. And some amount of 12 gauge as well.

That's a really good question, but like your own answer, everyone else's will likely be different!

IMO it's completely dependent upon circumstances, and number of calibers. ie How many folks are being prepared for, and what types of arms. Then to go further, what type of "reasonable" defensive use might be predicted. Then there is also the stock up needed for simple training/range fun use.

Think on how much you use training, now during "normalcy". Stock up accordingly while prices are low, so as to allow for surplus.

Consider learning how to reload.

Multiple reasons, among them include: learning the skill, getting better accuracy, cost savings over manufactured once manufactured price goes back up, continuing to be able to go to the range just for fun (and more practice) when there is another blight...etc.

Prices will go back up, and there will be another blight.

I say at least a box or two of each caliber of the FA's I have....;)
But did not say what size boxs & these aren't the little boys...:D

20180808_102640_001.jpg

This is always a tough question when you are just beginning. To see the light, and know you dont have enough, but also know you aren't even close is a bad feeling. Once you have spent years acquiring and no longer have a sense of dread over having too little do you know you can lay off the gas and do a little coasting.

All of us here started with nothing, then not enough, then maybe enough, then back to not enough. It's a cycle. Just buy and buy and shoot and shoot and buy again.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews