JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like taking them apart and putting them back together again. And building certain types from scratch.
Basically if someone elses husband can do it, then there is no reason why I can't.

Been this way since I was a kid...I could even re-assemble the cranks and headset on my stingray with less ball bearings than those factory dorks at Schwinn! :D

So, basically, you like to take stuff apart and reassemble those items without the extra parts that the factory included during their build process. Make sure to keep the extras in a box or baggie somewhere so, when the parts in use wear out you can replace them...

And, as for one of my favorite things about gun ownership... Physics in action.

my favorite thing about owning firearms is... owning firearms.

i like knowing i have adequate means to protect my family.

i love being able to take my 4 year old son out shooting his 22 just as i did when i was his age. theres a greater lesson learned both for him and myself in doing so.

i like building firearms.

i like opening my safe and staring at whats left of our freedom

i love the smell of clp and gun powder

i love being able to take a big game animal with a rifle ive built with ammo ive made.

i love the report of AR500 at 500+ yards... satisfaction!!!

i like meeting like minded people within the gun community.

the list goes on.

So, basically, you like to take stuff apart and reassemble those items without the extra parts that the factory included during their build process. Make sure to keep the extras in a box or baggie somewhere so, when the parts in use wear out you can replace them...

And, as for one of my favorite things about gun ownership... Physics in action.
Not quite. There is a difference between what a grown man does and what an 8yr old boy with a pipe wrench does.

EVERYTHING!!

but mostly I like the see the ingenuity that went into making them, Im a lever gun guy! I love all things lever.... Marlins, Winchesters, Savage, Henrys, etc..

One of these days I will get me one of those evil black guns...

Well I have to say I'm a bit confused. There are some serious items missing from these lists - at least according to the anti's:

• No one has mentioned compensating for a small manhood by owning a gun
  • No one has mentioned they are just waiting for the next shootout in the streets, like the OK Corral
  • No one has mentioned they are gay and trying to cover it up
  • No one has mentioned it compensates for a low IQ
  • No one has mentioned the power it gives them over all women, blacks, Muslims or any other group the anti's claim gun owners hate
Seems everyone here loves guns for rational, dare I say, common sense, reasons. What's wrong with everyone? Why aren't you fitting the stereotypes the anti's love to lay out on the national stage about us?

It's almost like the anti's make all that stuff up o_O

Good grief, you all need to grow up and buy another big gun to compensate for you small manly bits...you're making the anti's look like idiots.

View attachment 430715

:rolleyes::p:p:p:rolleyes:
But the Anti's are mostly idiots.;):D And I have no manly bits, large or small. :oops: Well I suppose I could count hubby's.:p

What got me into it in the first place. I bought my son a 10/22 when he was 12 and we would go out in the woods and shoot pop cans. Spending time with my son was what it was all about. Now, he is 28 and shooting is still something that we enjoy doing together. My wife's favorite thing about us owning firearms is that she can suggest my son and I go shooting and then she gets a day to herself when she send us off to the woods. ;);)

The relaxation. Everything you have to do shoot well is inherently calming. Monitoring your breathing, keeping your heart rate under control, regulating your muscle movements -- it's like meditation ... with a bang.

Exactly! Same reason I took to hang gliding after trying motorized flight and gliders. Zen-like, in the sense that, ideally, you're totally aware of yourself, your gun and everything around you—hyperawareness—yet at the same time you need to be relaxed, sense when the trigger is right up against the wall...and BOOM! Then the target tells you how close to the ideal you came. Repeat as needed. I always leave the range feeling a lot better than almost anybody who walks off a golf course.

Passing it forward. I am very old school. Was President of our High School Rifle Club. That long ago. Used to teach Boy and Cub Scouts how to shoot for their marksmanship merit badges. Very long ago indeed. Was basic stuff. Not 3 gun shooting.

It does feel very good when somebody asks me to build them an AR15. It is difficult to turn them down. I feel very good about the National Climate regarding firearms. Quite a different situation from what It could have been. I remain very grateful.
Were rifle and shotgun merit badges the same back then?

I like the basic mechanics and design of something that can control an explosion safely and reliably.

I like the history of how someone in the past used basic tools to build them and over time they have become what they are today.

Yes, I like shooting them, training with them and having them to protect my family but it still all comes down to the mechanics and design that warms my heart.

What's my favorite thing about guns?
I don't know. :s0092: So many things that have already been covered.:rolleyes:
I enjoy honing my handling skills, by shooting, building, reloading, casting bullets. :)
I used to collect all sorts of firearms, but now, I won't own a firearm that isn't functional. :cool:

Pretty high on my list of things I enjoy about guns is not having been raped, abducted, or murdered that night when I was 21 and used a gun to dissuade a guy from coming in through the window. His agenda was a certainty since he was breaking into the one occupied lit-up place within blocks. I was living in a student ghetto area that became deserted during spring break except for me. I was working my way through college, so didn't go anywhere during spring break. Had no car or money to go anywhere anyway. During terms the place was safe enough. Between terms it became very dangerous to me. Second through fourth on my list is being able to deal with the other three assaults I've experienced where a gun allowed me to deescalate the situation and come out unharmed.

Next on my list is that my guns allowed me to spend considerable time hiking and camping alone. Fact is, unarmed females mostly don't feel free to do that. And solitude is essential to my enjoyment of the hiking and camping. The long periods alone in woods, swamps, or mountains is an essential part of who I am.

I also really enjoy not having to be scared everytime a rat gets caught in a pail. When I hear something in the house at night it might be an intruder. But what is a lot more likely is a rat got in the house and got caught in a pail. When it comes to things that go bump in the night, they are lots more likely to be rodents, bats, birds, or piles of stuff falling over spontaneously than anything dangerous. Checking them out is routine if I have a gun. No need for raising my pulse. Just an opportunity to practice house clearing technique.

Of course I also enjoy shooting. I enjoyed many other sports involving aiming and throwing too in my younger broad days. But shooting is special. Even before taking into account that I've saved my life with a gun, but never with a basketball. Nor have I ever acquired a tasty meal with a tennis racket. Nor saved a woman in a parking lot from being raped with a baseball. Nor chased a bear away from my duck flock with a volleyball.

I also enjoy the technical aspects of shooting, and the combination of physical skill and technical understanding required to shoot well.

And I enjoy talking about guns, and learning more about them. And I enjoy the camradery of NWFA.

Carol

Because my ancestors needed weapons to be safe, so who am I to argue with their logic.

1644186579294.png

Pretty high on my list of things I enjoy about guns is not having been raped, abducted, or murdered that night when I was 21 and used a gun to dissuade a guy from coming in through the window. His agenda was a certainty since he was breaking into the one occupied lit-up place within blocks. I was living in a student ghetto area that became deserted during spring break except for me. I was working my way through college, so didn't go anywhere during spring break. Had no car or money to go anywhere anyway. During terms the place was safe enough. Between terms it became very dangerous to me. Second through fourth on my list is being able to deal with the other three assaults I've experienced where a gun allowed me to deescalate the situation and come out unharmed.

Next on my list is that my guns allowed me to spend considerable time hiking and camping alone. Fact is, unarmed females mostly don't feel free to do that. And solitude is essential to my enjoyment of the hiking and camping. The long periods alone in woods, swamps, or mountains is an essential part of who I am.

I also really enjoy not having to be scared everytime a rat gets caught in a pail. When I hear something in the house at night it might be an intruder. But what is a lot more likely is a rat got in the house and got caught in a pail. When it comes to things that go bump in the night, they are lots more likely to be rodents, bats, birds, or piles of stuff falling over spontaneously than anything dangerous. Checking them out is routine if I have a gun. No need for raising my pulse. Just an opportunity to practice house clearing technique.

Of course I also enjoy shooting. I enjoyed many other sports involving aiming and throwing too in my younger broad days. But shooting is special. Even before taking into account that I've saved my life with a gun, but never with a basketball. Nor have I ever acquired a tasty meal with a tennis racket. Nor saved a woman in a parking lot from being raped with a baseball. Nor chased a bear away from my duck flock with a volleyball.

I also enjoy the technical aspects of shooting, and the combination of physical skill and technical understanding required to shoot well.

And I enjoy talking about guns, and learning more about them. And I enjoy the camradery of NWFA.

Carol
Excellent post, thanks

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top